Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

How would you solve the futures energy needs and enviroment?

If it where up to me I would tax the gas more. Maby 4-5$/barrel and put that money into alternate fuel sources.

With that money and alot more I would begin a radical and major nuclear power expansion focusing on breeder reactors since they by far seems to be the most efficient. The goal would be that nuclear power would stand for atleast 60-70% of the electricity in sweden within 20 years, I would also expand the hydroelectric power alot to cover the remaining 30%-40%(this would be easy since its already a major source of electricity in sweden).
    Any fossile fuel power plants would be gotten rid of during the first 10 years if possible.

I would keep this ratio until fusion power becomes a viable option.

Next step would be to get rid of oil dependance to the extent its possible. I would start a goverment funded program to make ethanol and hydrogen stations aviable all over the country. The hydrogen would be produced from excess electricity produced by the nuclear plants.
    Any car consuming over 0.6liters of gasolin for every 10 kilometers it runs would be outlawed or so heavily taxed that only the richest could possibly afford it. Over a period of 40 years the goal would be to have no gasolin driven car on the roads.

Next step would be big industry. Severe punishments on the industries that refuses to cut down on pollution and alot of help to the industries trying to solve the problem.

This would put a very heavy burden on the economy during that 20 year time period, but I fully belive that it would result in a economical surge afterwards especialy when oil prices will continue to rise.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I actually have an idea that would revolutionize the world....

im not joking...for once.

I wish I had an engineer to talk to and I need to patent the idea....

how do I patent something...

this idea I have would change power creation, consumption and buying and selling of power as we know it....the beauty of it...is that its all free and the existing infrastructure is already layed out....

its almost too easy.

I would be by far one of the richest men alive....ever.

Im not kidding and I cant tell you what it is being the internet and all....im gonna find a engineer and a way to patent this and then I will let you know what it is.

god damn dally, spill the secret!!

Cylon is offline Junior Member

Hydrogen

Just think if we put the 200 billion we spent in Iraq into Hydrogen tecnology? With solar technology getting better because of solar cell research we could have bought alot of solar collectors for a lot of homes. But then again how do you expect big guys to make their money?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    I actually have an idea that would revolutionize the world....

im not joking...for once.

I wish I had an engineer to talk to and I need to patent the idea....

how do I patent something...

this idea I have would change power creation, consumption and buying and selling of power as we know it....the beauty of it...is that its all free and the existing infrastructure is already layed out....

its almost too easy.

I would be by far one of the richest men alive....ever.

Im not kidding and I cant tell you what it is being the internet and all....im gonna find a engineer and a way to patent this and then I will let you know what it is.

Im sorry Dally, there is no way to harness the energy from people having sex...Im no engineer and I can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon
    Just think if we put the 200 billion we spent in Iraq into Hydrogen tecnology? With solar technology getting better because of solar cell research we could have bought alot of solar collectors for a lot of homes. But then again how do you expect big guys to make their money?

yeah alot could be solved with 200 billion that is for sure. But the important world leaders rather seems more inclined to pay 200 billion to kill others than to improve there own country.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with Sweden. Unfortunatly this is an example of how the current party in power of the US views this issue:

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack

What I meant about having money is that if it were up to Democrats we would get rid of all our factories, get rid of all our cars, and sit around a campfire singing and waiting for someone to nuke us. You dont see that??? Why do you think we havent built a new oil refinery in 20 years??? Democrats.

If it were up to Dems, our military would be much smaller. I wouldnt put it past them to want to get rid of our nukes!!

RA
    You must not have seen the thread where I talked about giving tax breaks to car companies that dump a lot of money into alternate fuel cars and trucks.

My point in that post was that if you want to blame someone for the high gas prices it better be a Democrat because that is who caused it.

You must not have seen the thread where I talked about giving tax breaks to car companies that dump a lot of money into alternate fuel cars and trucks.

My point in that post was that if you want to blame someone for the high gas prices it better be a Democrat because that is who caused it.
    It's always nice to give welfare checks to big business to create a usable product. Small business have to invest money as a start up... does it mean a big business no longer has to invest or reinvest for that matter?

RA
    It's always nice to give welfare checks to big business to create a usable product. Small business have to invest money as a start up... does it mean a big business no longer has to invest or reinvest for that matter?

Would you rather skyrocket gas prices and supress the whole economy???

RA
    Which hurts big and small businesses I can assure you...

Would you rather skyrocket gas prices and supress the whole economy???
    I would rather see a administration that puts car companies to the task. What do you think is happening in every other civilized country? By the way do you know what the current cost of petrol is in Venezula? BTW why are we giving tax breaks to Hummer owners? This all happen once befoe... America turned to Japan, Korea, and some other countries for good economical cars. We have two ways to do things.... help big business get bigger which we tried and they still have their hands out... or we can encourage competition!

RA
    I would rather see a administration that puts car companies to the task. What do you think is happening in every other civilized country? By the way do you know what the current cost of petrol is in Venezula? BTW why are we giving tax breaks to Hummer owners? This all happen once befoe... America turned to Japan, Korea, and some other countries for good economical cars. We have two ways to do things.... help big business get bigger which we tried and they still have their hands out... or we can encourage competition!

Wow, I didnt think it was possible to say that many words and not make any sense whatsoever.

Once the car companies are dumping tons of cash into alternate fuel source cars, all the other car companies around the world are going to have to follow suit to compete. We have not tried this idea yet.

Personally, I dont give a rats ass what the cost of petrol is in Venezuela but I can spell it correctly.

Wow, I didnt think it was possible to say that many words and not make any sense whatsoever.

Once the car companies are dumping tons of cash into alternate fuel source cars, all the other car companies around the world are going to have to follow suit to compete. We have not tried this idea yet.

Personally, I dont give a rats ass what the cost of petrol is in Venezuela but I can spell it correctly.
    I always find it unique that one of the first things Repukes go after is spelling! When they cannot win the context of the argument the point out spelling.. Well duh you never explained why there are tax breaks for Hummer owners. How do you ever expect that we will rid ourselves of oil dependency when the administration subsidizes oil consumption? Face it they are not out for our interests, the American people’s interests. Look at the oil companies.. While we all suffering they are recording record profits. But I am guess you think that we should give them more tax breaks so they can do the Enron deal?

RA
    I always find it unique that one of the first things Repukes go after is spelling! When they cannot win the context of the argument the point out spelling.. Well duh you never explained why there are tax breaks for Hummer owners. How do you ever expect that we will rid ourselves of oil dependency when the administration subsidizes oil consumption? Face it they are not out for our interests, the American people’s interests. Look at the oil companies.. While we all suffering they are recording record profits. But I am guess you think that we should give them more tax breaks so they can do the Enron deal?

I don't care why there are tax breaks for hummer owners..Im talking about a plan that everyone can get behind without running our enonomy in the ground!! I did not see Clinton actually doing anything about this very subject yet you probably blame Bush. I bet if you looked it up you would find that Clinton got just as much money from oil companies as Bush for their campaigns.

I also do not care about their profits. The price of gas is high for the reasons I have already laid out. Dems stop us from buiding new refineries and we have to come up with 25 different blends. That is the reason for high gas prices in this country.

Dems give lip service to small businesses but they really dont give a shyt about them. I personally know a guy that owned a small trucking company and he had to go out of business because of the high gas prices.

Like I said if we followed the plan I said, everyone would win...except the oil companies.

I think the us economy without a problem could handle much higher oil prices. It would just mean less travel through air and alot less trucks and more trains. Europe has managed without any major problem for along time now with alot higher prices than the states.

one gallon of gas in sweden is a bit over 5$

I don't care why there are tax breaks for hummer owners..Im talking about a plan that everyone can get behind without running our enonomy in the ground!! I did not see Clinton actually doing anything about this very subject yet you probably blame Bush. I bet if you looked it up you would find that Clinton got just as much money from oil companies as Bush for their campaigns.

I also do not care about their profits. The price of gas is high for the reasons I have already laid out. Dems stop us from buiding new refineries and we have to come up with 25 different blends. That is the reason for high gas prices in this country.

Dems give lip service to small businesses but they really dont give a shyt about them. I personally know a guy that owned a small trucking company and he had to go out of business because of the high gas prices.

Like I said if we followed the plan I said, everyone would win...except the oil companies.
    Welfare is welfare... businesses shoudl not qualify for welfare. Btw... Al Gore was working on energy policy including higher gas mileage standard. Why would you give a tax break to someone who is helping to exhaust our energy supply?

You make no sense, you would rather give away the store than concede that the current administration does not have the interest of the American people!

RA
    Welfare is welfare... businesses shoudl not qualify for welfare. Btw... Al Gore was working on energy policy including higher gas mileage standard. Why would you give a tax break to someone who is helping to exhaust our energy supply?

You make no sense, you would rather give away the store than concede that the current administration does not have the interest of the American people!
    You obviously cant look at the big picture. Right now, why would the car companies want to dump tons of money into it? My god its a means to an end...you would rather see high gas prices and a bunch of businesses go under, than to give incentives to car companies to work on alternate fuel car technology. Al Gore was working on....yeah, the Clinton administration was good at the lip service game. They were working on EVERYTHING, just not doing ANYTHING.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I think the us economy without a problem could handle much higher oil prices. It would just mean less travel through air and alot less trucks and more trains. Europe has managed without any major problem for along time now with alot higher prices than the states.

Who has the stronger economy? Who can afford to build space shuttles and send people up? No, I dont want higher oil prices..we need to find ways to combat problems without our economy going down.

You obviously cant look at the big picture. Right now, why would the car companies want to dump tons of money into it? My god its a means to an end...you would rather see high gas prices and a bunch of businesses go under, than to give incentives to car companies to work on alternate fuel car technology. Al Gore was working on....yeah, the Clinton administration was good at the lip service game. They were working on EVERYTHING, just not doing ANYTHING.
    Please O wise one... tell me what the big picture is??? A two class system? Is that the big picture??? Is it God in my bedroom telling me when and with whom I can have sex? Whatever happen to supply and demand concept in America? Now we have to suppliment big business with Tax cuts and handouts so the can gain more profits to ship abroad! You people cry so much about big business paying taxes... next time your on the road watching the big rigs moving big businesses product ask yourself "who uses America's resources more?". This pResident is an ultimate failure. He has failed our economy, he has failed the people, and he has failed the constitution. It is because he sales a Christian Coalition flag that he is able to keep support.

I cannot wait till 06 and it is pay back.... Yes the Democrats will launch investigations into every corrupt political dicision made all the way back to 2000 election. I hope we never see another Republican president in my life time or my childrens life time. There is only one reason we would spend so much money on a hostile country and commit so many of our childrens lives.... Money!!! It is to you republicans as the ring was to Gollum in Lord Of the Rings!

RA
    Please O wise one... tell me what the big picture is??? A two class system? Is that the big picture??? Is it God in my bedroom telling me when and with whom I can have sex?

Please try to stay on topic.

Whatever happen to supply and demand concept in America? Now we have to suppliment big business with Tax cuts and handouts so the can gain more profits to ship abroad!

Do you really think the car companies are making money hand over fist these days??? No, thats why they keep offering 0% financing.

You people cry so much about big business paying taxes... next time your on the road watching the big rigs moving big businesses product ask yourself "who uses America's resources more?".

You must be a faking idiot. Who do you think works for big business??? Who do you think employs most of the people in this country??? BIG BUSINESS. Including the guy driving the truck...

This pResident is an ultimate failure. He has failed our economy, he has failed the people, and he has failed the constitution. It is because he sales a Christian Coalition flag that he is able to keep support.

I cannot wait till 06 and it is pay back.... Yes the Democrats will launch investigations into every corrupt political dicision made all the way back to 2000 election. I hope we never see another Republican president in my life time or my childrens life time. There is only one reason we would spend so much money on a hostile country and commit so many of our childrens lives.... Money!!! It is to you republicans as the ring was to Gollum in Lord Of the Rings!

To the rest of this I say boohoo you little baby..

Who has the stronger economy? Who can afford to build space shuttles and send people up? No, I dont want higher oil prices..we need to find ways to combat problems without our economy going down.
    well obviously no european economy can compete with the US since we are sovereign nations. I cant speculate on what it would be like if europe was a united country. But when it comes to living standards ect many european countries have the lead. The nordic countries specificly.

But I dont put any blame on the slow european economy towards expensive gas since we use more fuel efficient vechiles than you guys, we use more trains. Our economy is adapted to higher prices of gas. The blame is on the socialist goverments and the decrease in technological and scientific investments. Our priorities are all wrong and it will be the downfall of europe. European countries rather feed imigrants than give money to researchers.

If higher gas prices was as devastating as you say europe would be far behind the us when in reality we are not.

RA
    well obviously no european economy can compete with the US since we are sovereign nations. I cant speculate on what it would be like if europe was a united country. But when it comes to living standards ect many european countries have the lead. The nordic countries specificly.

But I dont put any blame on the slow european economy towards expensive gas since we use more fuel efficient vechiles than you guys, we use more trains. Our economy is adapted to higher prices of gas. The blame is on the socialist goverments and the decrease in technological and scientific investments. Our priorities are all wrong and it will be the downfall of europe. European countries rather feed imigrants than give money to researchers.

If higher gas prices was as devastating as you say europe would be far behind the us when in reality we are not.

Gas prices affect everything. To buy that loaf of bread now is going to be more expensive because it costs more to ship it there. That is true for everything and it tugs an economy in the wrong direction. A country should be forward looking and thinking, not going backwards.

Car companies are putting money into alterantives. But it seems to be far more comon in europe and asia. The fuel prices probably has something to do with it. So obvioulsy the higher gas prices here does have the advantage of higher awareness on alternatives.

The biggest impact imo that raising gas prices would have is not to bring in more money to the goverment. Its the fact that it highly involves each and every individual, forcing them to become more aware of the situation and that in turn forces politicians to face the issue.

But aslong as the general avarage joe have cheap and plentifull gas he wont give a shit about alternatives. That is the sad reality.

Ordinary humans dont give a shit and we need to attack what they care about(money)for them to react. Only when gas starts to hurt the wallet will the avarage joe scream for alternatives.

Both you and me know that the change has to occur in the states for it to get true widespread effect.

How do you propose to make the avarage joe care about the issue so the politicians are forced to face it? Only obvious way that I can tell is raise prices Might not be the best way, I dont know, but peoples greed usualy force them into action.

Remember a politician wont do shit untill he know it will give him votes. No matter what party he belongs to. So it has to start with awareness amongst the general population.

RA
    What Im saying johnan is by giving these incentives to the car companies you put so much money into the technology and it becomes perfect..

You get the choice between the hummer that gets 200 miles to the gallon or the one that gets 8. Which one do you think average joe would pick?

Gas prices affect everything. To buy that loaf of bread now is going to be more expensive because it costs more to ship it there. That is true for everything and it tugs an economy in the wrong direction. A country should be forward looking and thinking, not going backwards.
    if gas prices becomes higher but you limit the use of gas by transporting goods in electric powered trains for instance(driven by nuclear energy for instance or other non fossile fuel)it wont matter for that particular product. Higher gas prices forces companies to find alternate ways to be profitable and nothing is as inovative as a greedy company. Capitalism at its finest

Limiting gas usage to me is forward looking since prices will go up all the time. Might start to get rid of the oil dependancy now and cause a sudden but transient dip in the economy rather than just wait and let the economy slowely drift downwards.

What Im saying johnan is by giving these incentives to the car companies you put so much money into the technology and it becomes perfect..

You get the choice between the hummer that gets 200 miles to the gallon or the one that gets 8. Which one do you think average joe would pick?
    Yes I agree with that to 100%. But for someone to want to put the money into the technology there must be some kind of demand. Demand from the people on the politicians, demand from the customers on the car manufactures. Right now there is no demand because gas is still fairly cheap and plentifull. So politicians dont raise the issue and car manufacturers dont bother.

the peoples will to se a alternative must be more forcefull than the oil companies influence to keep everything the same. I think the general politician cares more about the 10 millions in his pocket from the oil company.
    UNTILL the point comes when people care enough not to vote for the bastard untill he promises to make changes.

To the rest of this I say boohoo you little baby..
    May you hit your sciatic nerve during your next injection

aslong as each politician has shells dick in his ass, his tounge rimming exxon while giving a handjob to BP nothing will happen.

Any viable strategt must include the general population.

RA
    aslong as each politician has shells dick in his ass, his tounge rimming exxon while giving a handjob to BP nothing will happen.

Any viable strategt must include the general population.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Yes I do think the politicians should be made to look at this issue but I would rather see them institute my idea.

RA
    May you hit your sciatic nerve during your next injection

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Yes I do think the politicians should be made to look at this issue but I would rather see them institute my idea.
    sure thing

Thread Information