Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BeerBaron is offline Senior Member

At what point does religious devotion warrant the label of psychotic

I think refusing modern medicine due to religious belief is psychotic. I was listening to christian radio the other day and they were saying its wrong to do yoga because of it's roots in indian religions, thats pretty insane aswell.

I'm curious to see what you guys come up with.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I would say banning stem cell research because of religion is a sure sign of phsycotic(sp?) behavior. Simply since its sacrificing lifes over a belife they might not share.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    yea beerbaron, thats pretty ridiculous.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    I think refusing modern medicine due to religious belief is psychotic. I was listening to christian radio the other day and they were saying its wrong to do yoga because of it's roots in indian religions, thats pretty insane aswell.

islamic belief isnt against any medicine or technology as long as it is not harmful to you or anyone else.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    anyone watched cube zero ?

What about claiming god has given you some sort of gift that only you possess; not something like a soul, but some sort of ability. Would that be psychotic?

well, if someone comes to me and says "God gave me the power to <do something>" and that person does it, how can i argue?

I think that as long as the religious person doesnt practice religion in a way that hurts anyone(but themself possibly)there is no problem. If they do something that hurts others in the name of the religion that would be psychotic imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zOaib
    islamic belief isnt against any medicine or technology as long as it is not harmful to you or anyone else.
    well almost any medicine has potentialy harmfull side effects. And just about any technology can be used in harmfull ways.
    Does islam belive that technology/medicin on its own isnt bad, but how people use it defines how it should be looked upon?

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    well, if someone comes to me and says "God gave me the power to <do something>" and that person does it, how can i argue?
    What about if I said "God gave me the strength to lift a boulder off my sons leg". Would saying god gave me the strength in that instance be psychotic?

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    well almost any medicine has potentialy harmfull side effects. And just about any technology can be used in harmfull ways.
    Does islam belive that technology/medicin on its own isnt bad, but how people use it defines how it should be looked upon?
    exactly , also what intention and purpose u use it for defines its legitness .......... in other words even drugs with side effects , used to cure one disease which hold more priority and there is no substitue to it , then its legit (just an example).

Quote Originally Posted by zOaib
    exactly , also what intention and purpose u use it for defines its legitness .......... in other words even drugs with side effects , used to cure one disease which hold more priority and there is no substitue to it , then its legit (just an example).
    I'm not following, could you use a more specific example?

zOaib is offline VET
    I'm not following, could you use a more specific example?
    if a person is treated with cancer , and the use of chemo therapy is the only way to decrease or kill the cancer , while it also is not soo good for the health of the living person as it kills everything else aswell also had significant health issues , its allowed to use such technology , cause u r dealing with a more prio case of removing cancer which will indefinately kill the patient , but his health can be regained after chemo .

I still want someone to answer post #10...

Ok, the people I was referring to were those who think they are imposing on god's will by using modern medicine. Would you agree they are psychotic?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    The husband of a patient at the hospital where my wife works refused a transfusion for her because in their religion they equate it with drinking blood. She died. Thats fukked up.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Oh, btw, that woman had just given birth and yes, the transfusion would have saved her. I will never understand that one. faken kooks.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    that's kinda how bob marley died. Had cancer in his toe, refused to let them amputate it. The cancer spread to his liver and brain and killed him. All he had to do was loose a toe to keep living but apparently it's against rastafarian beliefs.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member

at the end of your atheist life. I would say it's psychotic not to believe in Jesus Christ.

Some will disagree with me, some will disagree with you, but the one thing that we all can agree on, is that we all disagree!

Why would you say it's psychotic not to believe in jesus christ?

and the disagreeing begins...

it's my belief.

stick around for the rest of your life. you will see what I mean then.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i think anytime you reach the level of not bein able to keep every other thing in life unrelated to religion, your pyscho

What about if I said "God gave me the strength to lift a boulder off my sons leg". Would saying god gave me the strength in that instance be psychotic?
    no. i dont think that would be psychotic. id be like "praise the lord!"

i dont think psychotic is the right word for most of this thread, not just the above quote, but we know what you mean...i dont know what word should be used either right off.

psychotic is someone with psychosis, which is: A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

well just like some may think someone is 'psychotic' in saying that God gave me the strength to lift this boulder .

(see definition doesnt fit, by saying that isnt a derangement of personality, personality probably stayed the same, no deterioration of social functioning, and loss of contact with reality could be siad of both sides, but in psychosis its a lot more extreme, you know..agree?),

someone else may think someone is psychotic in saying "god had nothing to do with me lifting this boulder, its just adrenaline". I for one believe it could only happen by God's hand.

so for a christian, our reality is Jesus and everything he stands for and everything hes done for us...and we know it for a fact. so any non-believer could be referred to as psychotic for believing he has noone to answer to and gives no credit to anyone but himself and there is no punishment for sin.
    Last edited by max2extreme; 11-02-2005 at 07:58 PM.

it's called walking by faith and not by sight.
    believing with your heart and not your mind.

I do understand what BeerBaron is saying though. Some people believe in different things or in different ways about the same God. It's all good though. Let people say what they wish. I will let them. It is the same reason I get to say what I believe too.

freedom of speech.

freedom of religion. whatever you want to call it. I don't care.

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    it's called walking by faith and not by sight.
    believing with your heart and not your mind.

I do understand what BeerBaron is saying though. Some people believe in different things or in different ways about the same God. It's all good though. Let people say what they wish. I will let them. It is the same reason I get to say what I believe too.

freedom of speech.

freedom of religion. whatever you want to call it. I don't care.
    i agree with your way of thinking !

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    First thing you look for is some sort of fraud or trickery. Maybe even some chicanery or skullduggery. Eventually you'll turn up the shenanagans, and you'll have him by the goods . . .
    -Tock

I was listening to christian radio the other day and they were saying its wrong to do yoga because of it's roots in indian religions, thats pretty insane aswell.
    Ya, well, they're nuts.
    The original Christians in this country (the USA) said that it was wrong to celebrate Christmas, and they punished anyone who did rather severely. It was supposed to identify you as being Catholic, or a "papist." Other Christians preached against taking too frequent baths, and in favor of slavery and segregation. Can't depend on what they say.

The ADA legal definition of a disability is basically: "the ADA’s legal definition -- those that place substantial limitations on one or more of an individual's major life activities."
    If one's religious beleifs cause them to lose out on things that would enhance their life, well, that's just tough toenails. But if religion causes someone to turn down a blood transfusion, give away their belongs and go wait on top of a hill for Jesus, or to beat up on another person, ya, that would qualify as a mental disabilty. Probably would be classified as a psychosis, ya.

-Tock

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Jesus
    Mohamed
    all prophet would receive the tag INSANE in today's world!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    at the end of your atheist life. I would say it's psychotic not to believe in Jesus Christ.
    It's dishonest at best, and delusional at worst, to profess a belief that one does not sincerely hold. To do so is to admit that one professes the beleif out of a motivation of fear, and IF there is an omniscient god, then it would surely be able to see both the true motivation and the authentic opinion, and would evaluate based on those things.

No doubt that it would be much better just to be honest, and go to your grave with courage and integrity instead of fear and cowering.

-Tock

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I think its insane when people pray , theyre talking to something.some1 who doesnt exist is that called multiple personality disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    i think anytime you reach the level of not bein able to keep every other thing in life unrelated to religion, your pyscho
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    It's dishonest at best, and delusional at worst, to profess a belief that one does not sincerely hold. To do so is to admit that one professes the beleif out of a motivation of fear, and IF there is an omniscient god, then it would surely be able to see both the true motivation and the authentic opinion, and would evaluate based on those things.

No doubt that it would be much better just to be honest, and go to your grave with courage and integrity instead of fear and cowering.

-Tock
    YOUR posts are all dishonest at best and delusional at worst. to profess a belief that one does not sincerely hold. to do so is to admit that one (you) professes the belief out of motivatoin of fear (because if there is a god, then you may be punished for the way you live) and IF there is an omniscient god, then it would surely be able to see both the true motivation (ignorance is no excuse) and the authentic opinion (only one that matters is faith in Him), and would evaluate based on those things. (you lose)

no doubt that it would be MUCH EASIER TO NOT BELIEVE and live life with courage and do as you want, instead of belief and SUBSTITUTE COURAGE FOR FAITH. for who needs courage in death, when you have faith in the Resurrected!
    Last edited by max2extreme; 11-02-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    First thing you look for is some sort of fraud or trickery. Maybe even some chicanery or skullduggery. Eventually you'll turn up the shenanagans, and you'll have him by the goods . . .
    -Tock
    there's documented cased of people achieving feats as BB said, lifting cars off loved ones, etc... no tricks there. i believe it is an act of God. you will probably say its just human adrenaline..?

there's documented cased of people achieving feats as BB said, lifting cars off loved ones, etc... no tricks there. i believe it is an act of God. you will probably say its just human adrenaline..?

well one could flip it around. If you have ever worked with retarded people you would know some of them have CRAZY strenght. Requiring 4 people or more to restrain them. Ronnie coleman strenght in a tiny body. Insane feats of strenght.

Would you consider that a act of god??

not to mention what some people have done while high.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    not to mention what some people have done while high.
    That reminds me of this time I was in Amsterdam with my best friend and my girlfriend. We were high on mushrooms and my girlfriend started to open up the door to our hotel room because she wanted to go run around. I jumped up from the bed and ran to the door in a split second. It was so fast that my friend said it looked like I teleported. Do you think that was God?

It is adrenaline and thats been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt by the medical community. It's even in our fireground psychology handbooks as it's quite a common occurance with firefighters.

Of course the other side of this story is that when people do those "amazing feats", they are completely wasted or even injured after. Adrenaline contains many of the same compounds as cocaine and will overload the motor nervous system and "turn off" all "safeties". Sort of like hitting the nitrous on yer car.

If you've ever seen someone going "superhuman", you'll know they usually have ripped muscles, tendons and joint damage... they're just so high that they don't feel it during the event, but after... wow.

Red

Something like that.
    Adrenaline, that extra cup of morning coffee, a bowl of Wheaties, whatever.
    Certainly nothing to do with spirit beings.
    -Tock

who needs courage in death, when you have faith in the Resurrected!
    Who needs faith in imaginary beings and bizarre church doctrines?
    Not me.

-Tock

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    It is adrenaline and thats been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt by the medical community. It's even in our fireground psychology handbooks as it's quite a common occurance with firefighters.

Of course the other side of this story is that when people do those "amazing feats", they are completely wasted or even injured after. Adrenaline contains many of the same compounds as cocaine and will overload the motor nervous system and "turn off" all "safeties". Sort of like hitting the nitrous on yer car.

If you've ever seen someone going "superhuman", you'll know they usually have ripped muscles, tendons and joint damage... they're just so high that they don't feel it during the event, but after... wow.

Red
    Exactly. And Johans retard example is a good one too. The fact that they are limited to simple autistic thought actually enables them to truly focus on one thing with all of their being, and when they focus on physical resistance it appears super human.
    Last edited by BeerBaron; 11-03-2005 at 10:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information