Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member

Peace and Soccer: Finally!

What do you guys think of this? I say...FINALLY some good news

Israeli-Palestinian soccer 'peace team' to face Barcelona's stars

By Reuters and Haaretz Service

The joint Israeli-Palestinian soccer "peace team," sponsored by Shimon Peres' Center for Peace, flew to Spain on Sunday for a friendly match against Spain's leading team Barcelona on Tuesday evening.

The "peace team" includes Israeli internationals and Palestinian players from the West Bank.

Most of the 27-member team, which was accompanied by a host of local sports and political dignitaries, flew from Tel Aviv for the match Tuesday, which comes at the end of a two-day Euro-Mediterranean summit in Barcelona. Leaders of all 25 European Union member states and 10 of Mediterranean neighbors are meeting in the city to discuss closer regional cooperation.

The team will be jointly coached by newly-appointed Israel national team coach Dror Kashtan and Palestinian coach Jamal Hadeideh of Tul Karm.

"Soccer is a language that anybody can understand, and I'm happy to be a part of the message that will go out to the world through this match - that Israeli-Palestinian cooperation in soccer is a natural thing," Kashtan said in a statement. "I hope that this game is only the first of many other joint sporting ventures that will take place in the future."

Movie actor and soccer fan Sean Connery, who is in Barcelona to promote Monday's game said: "What we really need is to get back some of the optimism we had five years ago (in the Middle East peace process) and I'm sure there's going to be a change in the climate within a week."

Members of the 15-strong Israeli contingent include national team captain Avi Nimni, veteran defenders Arik Benado and Alon Harazi, and Israeli Arabs Abbas Suan and Walid Badir. Among the 12 Palestinian members is national team captain Haldin Mahed Ali Aloara.

Regular sporting events between Israelis and Palestinians are rare. The Peres center's soccer and basketball coaching program for Israeli and Palestinian youth, which is begun in 2002, is an exception.

The center says some 2,000 children already have benefited from the program, which has promoted projects with the help of Real Madrid's Brazilian striker Ronaldo and Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho, who visited the region earlier this year.

zOaib is offline VET
    i am rootin for BRASIL , wooooooooooooooooot !

Rak_Ani is offline Queen of Zion
    Quote Originally Posted by AIZ
    What do you guys think of this? I say...FINALLY some good news

Israeli-Palestinian soccer 'peace team' to face Barcelona's stars

By Reuters and Haaretz Service

The joint Israeli-Palestinian soccer "peace team," sponsored by Shimon Peres' Center for Peace, flew to Spain on Sunday for a friendly match against Spain's leading team Barcelona on Tuesday evening.

The "peace team" includes Israeli internationals and Palestinian players from the West Bank.

Most of the 27-member team, which was accompanied by a host of local sports and political dignitaries, flew from Tel Aviv for the match Tuesday, which comes at the end of a two-day Euro-Mediterranean summit in Barcelona. Leaders of all 25 European Union member states and 10 of Mediterranean neighbors are meeting in the city to discuss closer regional cooperation.

The team will be jointly coached by newly-appointed Israel national team coach Dror Kashtan and Palestinian coach Jamal Hadeideh of Tul Karm.

"Soccer is a language that anybody can understand, and I'm happy to be a part of the message that will go out to the world through this match - that Israeli-Palestinian cooperation in soccer is a natural thing," Kashtan said in a statement. "I hope that this game is only the first of many other joint sporting ventures that will take place in the future."

Movie actor and soccer fan Sean Connery, who is in Barcelona to promote Monday's game said: "What we really need is to get back some of the optimism we had five years ago (in the Middle East peace process) and I'm sure there's going to be a change in the climate within a week."

Members of the 15-strong Israeli contingent include national team captain Avi Nimni, veteran defenders Arik Benado and Alon Harazi, and Israeli Arabs Abbas Suan and Walid Badir. Among the 12 Palestinian members is national team captain Haldin Mahed Ali Aloara.

Regular sporting events between Israelis and Palestinians are rare. The Peres center's soccer and basketball coaching program for Israeli and Palestinian youth, which is begun in 2002, is an exception.

The center says some 2,000 children already have benefited from the program, which has promoted projects with the help of Real Madrid's Brazilian striker Ronaldo and Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho, who visited the region earlier this year.
    I was just wondering during the game if the Palestinian supporters would wave the Palestinians flag if Avi Nimni scored, for example. I have to admit it was very confusing for me. I'm not used to seeing people on "my side" jumping up and down with a Palestinian flag. It was a strange but pleasant sight to see Palestinian fans cheering the Israeli players.
    Also, this is probably the first time that a Palestinian flag is waved at a game where Israeli players play, and the intention isn't to provoke....

It was very nice of Barcelona to let us off so lightly (losing 2-1 is almost like wining - considering the situation )

zOaib is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak_Ani
    I was just wondering during the game if the Palestinian supporters would wave the Palestinians flag if Avi Nimni scored, for example. I have to admit it was very confusing for me. I'm not used to seeing people on "my side" jumping up and down with a Palestinian flag. It was a strange but pleasant sight to see Palestinian fans cheering the Israeli players.
    Also, this is probably the first time that a Palestinian flag is waved at a game where Israeli players play, and the intention isn't to provoke....

It was very nice of Barcelona to let us off so lightly (losing 2-1 is almost like wining - considering the situation )
    i cannot beleive u completely avoided my presence in this thread ,

AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member

Israelis waving the Palestinian Flag shouldn't surprise you. First, think "Shalom Achshav" and second, remember the Eurovision with Israelis and Syrian flags? However, it was nice to see that we could do something peaceful together.

Quote Originally Posted by AIZ
    Israelis waving the Palestinian Flag shouldn't surprise you. First, think "Shalom Achshav" and second, remember the Eurovision with Israelis and Syrian flags? However, it was nice to see that we could do something peaceful together.

I was talking about Palestinians waving Palestinian flags.

I don't see anything wrong with Shalom Achshav as long as they don't become violent. They have a legitimate agenda and unlike what many think, they do have Israel's best at mind.
    The clowns who waved syrian flags at the Eurovision just wanted to provoke and get attention.

zOaib is offline VET
    I was talking about Palestinians waving Palestinian flags.

I don't see anything wrong with Shalom Achshav as long as they don't become violent. They have a legitimate agenda and unlike what many think, they do have Israel's best at mind.
    The clowns who waved syrian flags at the Eurovision just wanted to provoke and get attention.
    and yet again !

Quote Originally Posted by zOaib
    and yet again !

Let me dedicate this song to you (translated from Hebrew):

Give Me a Sign - by Miri Mesika

He doesn't know how I think about him
    He doesn't know how every look effects me
    One word is enough
    One look is enough

Alone at night
    Without him knowing I sing to him