Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts

Thread: Pearl harbor

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Pearl harbor

This isnt exactly news but I just happened to stumble over this and it got me thinking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankli...t#Pearl_Harbor

Conspiracy theories have abounded that Roosevelt knew of the planned attack on Pearl Harbor but did nothing to prevent it so that the U.S. could be brought into the war as a result of being attacked. It wasn't until the 1990's that documents such as the McCollum memo (of 1940) were declassified, showing that the Roosevelt administration did actively seek to enter into a war with Japan, in order to ally themselves with the British against Germany. Due to strong isolationist sentiment among the U.S. populace, the administration sought to provoke the Japanese to attack, by using British and Dutch military bases in Singapore and the Dutch East Indies, aiding the Chinese government of Chiang-Kai-Shek, sending cruisers and submarines to the Pacific, keeping the main strength of the U.S. fleet now in the Pacific in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Islands, and bringing about a trade embargo to Japan, particularly on oil.
    If the leaders of the USA back then realy did allow Pearl Harbor of happening and provoked japan into the war. Would you now looking back at it approve of that descision?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    bump. anyone? was it the right descision?

Thread Information