Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Jews of Lebanon

  1. #1
    AIZ's Avatar
    AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    3,093

    Jews of Lebanon

    1948 Jewish population: 20,000
    2003: Fewer than 100


    When Christian Arabs ruled Lebanon, Jews enjoyed relative toleration. In the mid-50’s, approximately 7,000 Jews lived in Beirut. As Jews in an Arab country, however, their position was never secure, and the majority left in 1967.

    Fighting in the 1975-76 Muslim-Christian civil war swirled around the Jewish Quarter in Beirut, damaging many Jewish homes, businesses and synagogues. Most of the remaining 1,800 Lebanese Jews emigrated in 1976, fearing the growing Syrian presence in Lebanon would curtail their freedom of emigration. Most Jews went to Europe (particularly France), the United States, and Canada.

    In the mid-1980's, Hezbollah kidnapped several prominent Jews from Beirut — most were leaders of what remained of the country's tiny Jewish community. Four of the Jews were later found murdered. Nearly all of the remaining Jews are in Beirut, where there is a committee that represents the community. Because of the current political situation, Jews are unable to openly practice Judaism.

    In 2004, only 1 out of 5,000 Lebanese Jewish citizens registered to vote participated in the municipal elections. Virtually none of those registered remains in the country. The lone Jewish voter said that most of the community consists of old women.2

  2. #2
    CAUSASIAN's Avatar
    CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chechnya
    Posts
    6,130
    I belive Arabs were scared they would create another Jewish state in Lebanon, like they did in Palestine.

  3. #3
    AIZ's Avatar
    AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    I belive Arabs were scared they would create another Jewish state in Lebanon, like they did in Palestine.
    With a population of 20,000...not a chance.

  4. #4
    CAUSASIAN's Avatar
    CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chechnya
    Posts
    6,130
    It started with less than 20,000 in Palestine also.

  5. #5
    AIZ's Avatar
    AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    It started with less than 20,000 in Palestine also.

    Terrible argument, C.

  6. #6
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    7,772
    Quote Originally Posted by CAUSASIAN
    I belive Arabs were scared they would create another Jewish state in Lebanon, like they did in Palestine.

    And the Lebanese prior to Operations Peace for Galilee and Litani feared the Palestinians were trying to creat a Palestinian state in Lebanon. Like their trying to do today in Israel.

  7. #7
    MilitiaGuy's Avatar
    MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Middle-East Lebanon
    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    And the Lebanese prior to Operations Peace for Galilee and Litani feared the Palestinians were trying to creat a Palestinian state in Lebanon. Like their trying to do today in Israel.
    NO you are wrong, the Palestinian are trying to liberate their country from the "israeli", they came to Lebanon because they were expelled and massacred by the zionists, "israel" is maybe gaining the support of some Arab puppet dictators but most of the Arab people dont want "israel" on their lands and thats what is important!
    why dont they give them a country in poland , germany or austria, its not just talking! I really think its great idea.

  8. #8
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    IRELAND.
    Posts
    7,772
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitiaGuy
    why dont they give them a country in poland , germany or austria, its not just talking! I really think its great idea.

    No, your wrong. You were told this is a good idea and like the lemming you have been here recently your going along blindly.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •