Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member

Positive Events in Iraq

I made this into a thread of its own rather than adding it to the previous thread about "If Bush lied, so did everyone else". The point here is to try and show (not persuade) you that the media, for whatever purposes, simply does not relay all of the positive news coming out of Iraq. Rather, there are the typical one-dimensional and shallow perspectives on the war that only focus on who lied, who's to blame, etc. Be open-minded and realize that while you might not agree with the Iraq War, the once dictator-ruled nation is on a path to democratization. Keep in mind that the majority of the soldiers are rebuilding, not fighting. Here are some brief examples:

"The Iraqi government played an active role, and so did our military commanders, diplomats, and workers from the U.S. Agency for International Development. Together, they worked with Najaf's governor and other local officials to rebuild the local police force, repair residents' homes, refurbish schools, restore water and other essential services, and reopen a soccer stadium. Fifteen months later, new businesses and markets have opened in some of Najaf's poorest areas, religious pilgrims are visiting the city again, and construction jobs are putting local residents back to work. One of the largest projects was the rebuilding of the Najaf Teaching Hospital, which had been looted and turned into a military fortress by the militia.Thanks to efforts by Iraqi doctors and local leaders, with the help of American personnel, the hospital is now open and capable of serving hundreds of patients each day."

"The Coalition is helping the new Iraqi government reverse decades of economic destruction, reinvigorate its economy, and make responsible reforms. With Coalition help, the Iraqis are rebuilding infrastructure and establishing the institutions of a market economy. The entrepreneurial spirit is strong. A free Iraq will be built by the free people of Iraq - and the United States is proud to help."

"Reconstruction has not always gone as well as hoped - primarily because of the security challenges. Rebuilding a nation devastated by a dictator is a large undertaking - even harder when terrorists attempt to destroy gains. Yet, in the space of two and a half years, the United States has helped Iraqis conduct nearly 3,000 renovation projects at schools, train more than 30,000 teachers, distribute more than 8 million textbooks, rebuild irrigation infrastructure to help more than 400,000 rural Iraqis, and improve drinking water for more than 3 million people. The Coalition has helped Iraqis introduce a new currency, reopen their stock exchange, and extend $21 million in micro-credit and small business loans. As a result of these efforts and Iraq's newfound freedom, more than 30,000 new Iraqi businesses have registered since liberation, and according to a recent survey, more than three-quarters of Iraqi business owners anticipate growth in the economy over the next two years. This economic development and growth will be key to addressing the high unemployment rate across many parts of the country. In addition, Iraqis have negotiated significant debt relief and completed an economic report card with the International Monetary Fund - a signal that Iraqis are serious about reform."

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    notice how good news doesnt sell??

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Propaganda Propaganda Propaganda

O.fO.shO is offline Member
    From what I know not much is being rebuilt in Iraq . Oil production and basic utility's . And even the latest reports show water shortages and no electricity is pretty common .

I'm sure you can dig up a school here or a hospital there , but were talking about an entire country a few buildings is hardly rebuilding . Like I said in your other thread I was offered a job in Iraq . I originaly heard 120K+ a year , so I applied and found out its not rebuilding Iraq , its setting up and dismanteling army bases . And it only paid like 78K$ a year working 7 - 12hr days . I would make over 200K$ working those hours here . No work is offered out side of the bases , other than truck drivers ect .

Maybe some sort of work is being done , but I'd have too see a link with some proof to believe it . And the work that is being done is by Iraqi's making 2$ a day . . . sad .

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    nice to se some good news

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    so to boost the contruction economy you need to destroy the country before?

AIZ
    Quote Originally Posted by O.fO.shO
    From what I know not much is being rebuilt in Iraq . Oil production and basic utility's . And even the latest reports show water shortages and no electricity is pretty common .

I'm sure you can dig up a school here or a hospital there , but were talking about an entire country a few buildings is hardly rebuilding . Like I said in your other thread I was offered a job in Iraq . I originaly heard 120K+ a year , so I applied and found out its not rebuilding Iraq , its setting up and dismanteling army bases . And it only paid like 78K$ a year working 7 - 12hr days . I would make over 200K$ working those hours here . No work is offered out side of the bases , other than truck drivers ect .

Maybe some sort of work is being done , but I'd have too see a link with some proof to believe it . And the work that is being done is by Iraqi's making 2$ a day . . . sad .
    I'll send you some links later today. I have class all day so I'll get around to it at some point. There is a major push for nation-building going on and yes, some Iraqis are clearly getting paid very little...but then again, I can point out some Mexicans in the states or Thai in Israel that get the same.

AIZ
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    so to boost the contruction economy you need to destroy the country before?

Of course not. There's a very good argument to make that the country needed to go through what it went through in order to make changes that are essential. By the way, the country was long rotting before US-led fighting stepped in.

Thread Information