Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Tock is offline Anabolic Member

Anti-gay Baptist preacher arrested for soliciting gay sex

This just in . . .
    I feel sorry for this self-loathing closet case . . .

-Tock
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.washblade.com/thelatest/t...m?blog_id=4374

Southern Baptist leader arrested for soliticing policeman
    Minister says he was in the area ministering to people
    Jan 4, 7:20 PM

An executive committee member of the Southern Baptist Convention was arrested on a lewdness charge for propositioning a plainclothes policeman outside a hotel, police said.

Pastor Lonnie Latham has spoken out against gay marriage and urged gays to reject their 'sinful, destructive lifestyle.'
    Lonnie Latham, senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church, was booked into Oklahoma County Jail Tuesday night on a misdemeanor charge of offering to engage in an act of lewdness, police Capt. Jeffrey Becker said. Latham was released on $500 bail Wednesday afternoon.

Latham, who has spoken out against homosexuality, asked the officer to join him in his hotel room for oral sex. Latham was arrested and his 2005 Mercedes automobile was impounded, Becker said.

Calls to Latham at his church were not immediately returned Wednesday.

The arrest took place in the parking lot of the Habana Inn, which is in an area where the public has complained about male prostitutes flagging down cars, Becker said. The plainclothes officers was investigating these complaints.

The lewdness charge carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.

After posting bond, Latham told KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City that he was set up, and was in the area ministering to people.

Latham is one of four Southern Baptist Convention executive committee members from Oklahoma.

He spoke out last year against a measure, ultimately approved by voters, to expand tribal gaming.

He has also spoken out against same-sex marriage and in support of a Southern Baptist Convention directive urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try to convince them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior and reject their 'sinful, destructive lifestyle."

The Southern Baptist Convention is the nation's largest Protestant denomination.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    What kind of site is washingtonblade.com?? I only looked at their main page. Looks pretty ridiculous. i didnt read any of the articles, but its either a site that only posts real/fake (who knows) news/articles on anti-gay people or on gay people, i couldnt tell. whatever.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    the gay propaganda machine is back

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    What kind of site is washingtonblade.com?? I only looked at their main page. Looks pretty ridiculous. i didnt read any of the articles, but its either a site that only posts real/fake (who knows) news/articles on anti-gay people or on gay people, i couldnt tell. whatever.
    Well, you'll find this story in other news sources soon, but try these sources for now:

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/232937.htm
    Southern Baptist Leader Arrested
    Lonnie Latham, senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church and one of the leaders of the powerful Southern Baptist Convention, has been arrested and charged with "offering to engage in an act of lewdness." What he did was proposition a plainclothes policeman to go to a hotel room for some oral sex.

-----------
    http://www.channeloklahoma.com/famil...95/detail.html
    Baptist Leader Charged With Soliciting Sex From Cop

POSTED: 7:23 pm CST January 4, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:05 am CST January 5, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A leader of the Southern Baptist Convention was arrested in Oklahoma City on a lewdness complaint for allegedly propositioning a plainclothes policeman.

Police said the Rev. Lonnie Latham was arrested Tuesday night in a motel parking lot after soliciting a plainclothes officer who was investigating an area where there have been complaints of male prostitutes.

Latham is pastor of South Tulsa Baptist Church and is on the executive committee of the Southern Baptist Convention. He has spoken out in the past against homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

After posting bond, Latham told an Oklahoma City television station that he was set up and was in the area ministering to people.
    -----------

http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/5872642/detail.html
    SBC Has No Plans To Remove Pastor

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Southern Baptist Convention said Thursday it does not plan to remove a reverend from the convention's executive committee after he was arrested on charges of offering to engage in an act of lewdness.

Rev. Lonnie Latham, 59, senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church and a member of the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, was arrested Tuesday on an allegation that he propositioned a plainclothes police officer outside a hotel. He is accused of asking the officer to join him in his hotel room for oral sex, said police Capt. Jeffrey Becker.

"Typically when there's a moral failure of this sort, there's a voluntary resignation," Kenyn Cureton, vice president for convention relations, said Thursday. "If the charges are true, this is tragic news. I hope it's not true. But it doesn't look good, obviously. Certainly he and his church family are in our prayers."

Latham has supported a convention directive urging members to befriend gays and lesbians and try to convince them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior and reject their 'sinful, destructive lifestyle."'

When he left Oklahoma County Jail Wednesday, he said he was pastoring to police when he was arrested and that he had been "set up."

The Nashville, Tenn.-based Southern Baptist Convention is the nation's largest Protestant denomination.

The lewdness charge carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.
    ---------------

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/storie...age=1&id=96582
    Tulsa Church Pastor Put On Adminstrative Leave Following His Arrest

There are new developments involving the story of a Tulsa preacher who was arrested in Oklahoma City.

The deacons of South Tulsa Baptist Church at 10300 South Sheridan placed Pastor Lonnie Latham on paid leave. Latham was arrested late Tuesday.

Oklahoma Police say he asked an undercover officer for oral sex, and offered to drive the officer to a nearby hotel.

Police were conducting a male prostitution sting in the area where Latham was arrested.
    Source: The News on 6

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    im not sayin whether that did or didnt happened, im just sayin that website looked pretty ridiculous... and if it did happen, than that guy's pretty ridiculous.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    It is for real bro's I am in Oklahoma and it was all over the news. Now what bothers me is not the fact this guy did or did not do this, nor is it that he is gay or not, but what bothers me is IF he did do it and he is gay that he is a hypocrite beyond all others.

Okay let me say this so it makes sense, now this is only my opinion so please take it as just a rant I suppose.

I am a believer, plain and simple, I trust God, I believe Jesus is the Messiah and came and saved my soul from eternal hell away from God the Father. Now with that said I am a sinner, we all are.. we do things that are wrong everyday and I am lucky because my maker is a forgiving god and will forgive my sins.

Now with that in the open I am more than disappointed in this man/preacher/lost soul.. Maybe he is gay and he has been fighting his whole life trying to not be gay but it just happened.. The problem is not that as much as it is what if this is not the first time??? what if he actually did do this before he has been living a horrible lie.. now is he a sinner like me? oh yeah, does god look on his sin as worse than mine? no BUT he IS a preacher and anyone that is called by god to preach/teach whatever is held to a higher standard and will be judged accordingly.

I guess I really don't have much of a point but I sure hope that this does not turn into a See You Christians think you are hot crap and your really gay type of thread. This man made a mistake and we should feel for him not make fun of him.... we love it when famous people screw up and even more when it is a preacher.. what if he was talking to a girl hooker would we care as much? Probably not.

anyway I think personally we need to look on this man with compassion even if he did not do the same for gays in the past he is only a man and men have their faults.. we all do.. Like my hommie Jesus once said "He that is without sin cast the first stone" I can not even pick up a pebble and toss it at this man.

~Oldman
    Last edited by oldman; 01-06-2006 at 09:57 AM.

In a rational world, this guy wouldn't have been obliged to love a person of the "wrong" sex, and spend a life of senseless self-denial and depravation. Instead, Religion demanded that he conform to a heterosexual convention, and in a sad attempt at honest expression of his true inclinations, he got caught soliciting an undercover cop in public.

One of these days, gay christians will all have the good sense not to masochistly allign themselves to unforgiving and intolerant sects like Christian Fundamentalism . . .

I'm just glad that I got out of that mess . . .

-Tock

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Tock we don't see eye to on things always but I respect your opinion and thoughts and I appreciate your "adult" attitude, thank you.

I have never been a hater of any person because of what they are or what they choose to do in life. Give me a reason to hate you and I will.

Right or Wrong this is something we will all deal with in society until the end of time. If is not gay VS Christians it will be blue people against pink people.

I do not think we should turn a blind eye to the plagues of this world (not saying this is, please don't read into that) but I personally think we are fighting a fight that no one will win and all it is causing is hate and dispare.

That is all .

Oldman

alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    In a rational world, this guy wouldn't have been obliged to love a person of the "wrong" sex, and spend a life of senseless self-denial and depravation. Instead, Religion demanded that he conform to a heterosexual convention, and in a sad attempt at honest expression of his true inclinations, he got caught soliciting an undercover cop in public.

One of these days, gay christians will all have the good sense not to masochistly allign themselves to unforgiving and intolerant sects like Christian Fundamentalism . . .

I'm just glad that I got out of that mess . . .

-Tock

"Love" a peson of the wrong sex, or have sex with a person of the wrong sex? Let's be rational.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Let's keep it a little more civil here Bro.

Bigen12
    Last edited by Bigen12; 01-11-2006 at 08:58 AM.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Let's stay on Topic!

Bigen12
    Last edited by Bigen12; 01-11-2006 at 06:39 AM.

AIZ
    AIZ is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    what a fag

No No, my friend. Unnecessary description. This is a political forum where you are free to speak your mind but you should also respect others while you do so.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AIZ
    No No, my friend. Unnecessary description. This is a political forum where you are free to speak your mind but you should also respect others while you do so.
    Why are you so sympathetic to the homosexual??......if you REALLY followed your supposed religion.....you'd be stoning them......instead you are a faithless hypocrit practicing a non-existent religion....

For all you folks who are so down on the ACLU for always being against Christians, check this out:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ACLU aids pastor caught in gay sex sting
    PlanetOut Network
    published Thursday, February 2, 2006
    http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?2006/02/02/4

The American Civil Liberties Union is championing the cause of a Southern Baptist minister arrested in Oklahoma City for inviting a male undercover officer to join him in his hotel room for oral sex.

The Rev. Lonnie "Luke" Latham, 60, was charged with a single misdemeanor count of lewdness last month after propositioning an officer in a hotel parking lot. Latham had been a public opponent of same-sex marriage and urged gay men and lesbians to change their sexual orientation with the help of Jesus Christ.

Although Latham has pleaded not guilty, insisting that he was attempting to "minister" to the undercover policeman, he also filed a motion Wednesday to dismiss the case based on constitutional arguments. In a separate friend-of-the-court brief filed the same day, the ACLU argued that Oklahoma's lewdness statute is overly broad, and conflicts with the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling striking sodomy laws in Lawrence v. Texas.

In that case, the high court extended the right to privacy to encompass private consensual and noncommercial adult sex, including homosexual sex. The Oklahoma lewdness statute, in turn, outlaws "the giving or receiving of the body for indiscriminate sexual intercourse, fellatio, cunnilingus, masturbation, anal intercourse, or lascivious, lustful or licentious conduct with any person not his or her spouse."
    As the ACLU notes in its 12-page brief, if it is no longer constitutional to criminalize private sexual conduct that is otherwise legal, it is also impermissible to arrest an individual for extending a sexual invitation as long as he or she is not being abusive or harassing. In this case, Rev. Latham spoke only to the officer, whom he believed might have been interested in the proposal. Further, he was suggesting private activity in a hotel room, not a public romp in the bushes. There is no difference between Latham's offer and a pickup line at a singles bar, the ACLU concluded.

Finally, the ACLU reminded the court that the law in question is almost never enforced against consenting heterosexuals, but used instead to target same-sex seductions in violation of the right to equal protection.

The matter is under the jurisdiction of the Oklahoma City District Court. According to Ken Choe of the ACLU's Lesbian and Gay Rights Project, the prosecutors will now have some time to reply to the motion, after which the court may set a hearing date.

NewBreed is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerman
    Why are you so sympathetic to the homosexual??......if you REALLY followed your supposed religion.....you'd be stoning them......instead you are a faithless hypocrit practicing a non-existent religion....
    Being ironic here, u need to point it out īcause there some stupid out there thatīll go and do so!

Oldman put it right and maybe heīs judges by his standards not by god but by the mob which believes in those "higher standard judgements" and will do so, although this isnīt meant by Jesus since he told us not to judge others.

Maybe heīs a fag in a sense he didnīt stand up for it but maybe thatīs the story to be told.

Well -i donīt care. His fault, his life which Iīm not really intersted in .
    Last edited by NewBreed; 02-03-2006 at 11:39 PM.

The OutLord is offline Member
    L O L
    Last edited by The OutLord; 11-26-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Thread Information