Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Possible alien cells(Red rain in india)

A little dry to read article, but extremely fascinating!!

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601022

A red rain phenomenon occurred in Kerala, India starting from 25th July 2001, in which the rainwater appeared coloured in various localized places that are spread over a few hundred kilometers in Kerala. Maximum cases were reported during the first 10 days and isolated cases were found to occur for about 2 months. The striking red colouration of the rainwater was found to be due to the suspension of microscopic red particles having the appearance of biological cells. These particles have no similarity with usual desert dust. An estimated minimum quantity of 50,000 kg of red particles has fallen from the sky through red rain. An analysis of this strange phenomenon further shows that the conventional atmospheric transport processes like dust storms etc. cannot explain this phenomenon. The electron microscopic study of the red particles shows fine cell structure indicating their biological cell like nature. EDAX analysis shows that the major elements present in these cell like particles are carbon and oxygen. Strangely, a test for DNA using Ethidium Bromide dye fluorescence technique indicates absence of DNA in these cells. In the context of a suspected link between a meteor airburst event and the red rain, the possibility for the extraterrestrial origin of these particles from cometary fragments is discussed.

boots555 is offline Member
    Becareful of deception.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    damn, that's weird

books what do you mean??

Its a fascinating possibility. I dont think its likely though, but if it is I would jump out of joy. It would be the most amazing thing ever.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    This happened in 2001? There has to be updated info on this, I'm gonna go search.

Here is a lengthy and interesting pdf offering one explanation.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0310/0310120.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    books what do you mean??

Its a fascinating possibility. I dont think its likely though, but if it is I would jump out of joy. It would be the most amazing thing ever.

I am confused, you reject evidence of intelligence, yet buy into alien intelligence.

Damn, that was a good read. Worth the time.

I only bring this up because of your article.

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. (Mat 24:24)

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect—if that were possible. (Mark 13:22)

Did you notice that signs and miracles can be performed by deceivers? Furthermore, they seem designed to deceive the elect, if that were possible!

Signs and Wonders, It will seem so real, even for the elect, who by the grace of God will not be decieved.

Quote Originally Posted by boots555

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. (Mat 24:24)

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect—if that were possible. (Mark 13:22)

Did you notice that signs and miracles can be performed by deceivers? Furthermore, they seem designed to deceive the elect, if that were possible!

Signs and Wonders, It will seem so real, even for the elect, who by the grace of God will not be decieved.
    What does that have to do with the scientific analysis of the red rain phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    Here is a lengthy and interesting pdf offering one explanation.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0310/0310120.pdf
    defenetly going to read that one tomorrow. Good digging

I am confused, you reject evidence of intelligence, yet buy into alien intelligence.
    it would be pretty foolish to assume something is so special with earth that it makes it the only place in the universe capable of producing life.

I have no clue what relavance this has. Im pretty sure the bible say nothing about extra-terestial life
    This isnt any special sign or miracle just a wierd phenomenon that might have a very exciting explanation. Nothing religious about it realy. Im just waiting anxiously to the day we find evidence of life outside of earth. Be it on a comet, on mars or on europe.

yeah, I guess just forgett what I said, I have been staring at the computer to long.

those pics sure does look like cells. Going to read that link tonight beer never had time.

Yeah Johan you'll love that pdf I'm sure. They have a few shots of the cells under magnification, as well as pots full of the rain water. It really confronts all of the facts head on and does a good job of explaining what conditions had to be like for this to have happened as a result of a meteoroid. I'm glad you didn't let this thread die, I love this kind of stuff.

that pdf presented a very interesting theory I have to say

Wont let this one die. Il bump it when I stumbled across more news. Funny that it has gone 4 years and still no one is sure what it is.

Yeah I can't believe we have a possible cell sample from another planet and no one is jumping all over it. There has to be an explanation, it doesn't just rain cells. In the mean time I guess I'll have to attribute the red rain to god .

Maby most cell biologists doesnt belive it is cells. Or maby this event hasnt gotten enough attention to draw the attention of the big universities.

I hope it gets explained soon atleast. A biologist at a science board where I first found this didnt think it looked like cells

One sure sign that it is life would be if the cells can be shown to multiply under some circumstance. I wonder if anyone is trying to multiply those cells or if they are assumed to be dead.

I mean 50 000 kg of the shit. Some of it must have been alive.

I don't think the cell like structures cant be explained by any kind of dust cloud or anything of the like to the best of our knowledge. The rather small geographic area they occured wouldn't allow it. There are many biologists who are sceptical of them being actual cells, and so am I, but this still has to be explained even if they are not cells. It seems like a rather shocking phenomena to just pass off as irrelevant in some way. It would be a turning point for theories of panspermia if the cells were infact from a meteor.

I just found this

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0312639

man I wonder if that is real. I mean it sounds to freaking amazing.

This paper reports the extraordinary biology of the microorganisms from the mysterious red rain of Kerala, India. These chemosynthetic organisms grow optimally at an extreme high temperature of 300 degrees C in hydrothermal conditions and can metabolize inorganic and organic compounds including hydrocarbons. Stages found in their life cycle show reproduction by a special multiple fission process and the red cells found in the red rain are identified as the resting spores of these microbes. While these extreme hyperthermophiles contain proteins, our study shows the absence of DNA in these organisms, indicating a new primitive domain of life with alternate thermostable genetics. This new biology proves our earlier hypothesis that these microbes are of extraterrestrial origin and also supports our earlier argument that the mysterious red rain of Kerala is due to the cometary delivery of the red spores into the stratosphere above Kerala.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I just found this

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0312639

man I wonder if that is real. I mean it sounds to freaking amazing.
    Amazing is right. Whats even more amazing is that this hasn't gotten more attention.

I just read through it again since I skimmed the first time and all I can say is WOW.

If this isnt some kind of hoax by the author someone realy needs to redo his experiments with the red rain cells to confirm the results. Gotta keep digging and se if I find some study that goes against this one. There should be something more on it since this one is from 2003.

this is wierd. The original study I posted in my first post in this thread is by the same author and writen 2 years later than the one where he claims to have seen the cells multiply. yet he doesnt mention that in the later one.

Thread Information