Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Prada is offline Anabolic Member

France would use nuclear weapons against terrorism

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...RMS-FRANCE.xml

The only problem is that terrorism is usually stateless. So would france nuke Afghanistan?

By Elizabeth Pineau

BREST, France (Reuters) - France said on Thursday it would be ready to use nuclear weapons against any state that carried out a terrorist attack against it, reaffirming the need for its nuclear deterrent.

Deflecting criticism of France's costly nuclear weapons program, President Jacques Chirac said security came at a price and France must be able to hit back hard at a hostile state's centers of power and its "capacity to act".

He said there was no change in France's overall policy, which rules out the use of nuclear weapons in a military conflict. But his speech pointed to a change of emphasis to underline the growing threat France perceives from terrorism.

"The leaders of states who would use terrorist means against us, as well as those who would consider using, in one way or another, weapons of mass destruction, must understand that they would lay themselves open to a firm and adapted response on our part," Chirac said during a visit to a nuclear submarine base in northwestern France.

"This response could be a conventional one. It could also be of a different kind," said Chirac, the first time he had so clearly linked the threat of a nuclear response to a terrorist attack.

Chirac, who is commander-in-chief of the armed forces, said all of France's nuclear forces had been configured with the new strategy in mind and the number of nuclear warheads on French nuclear submarines had been reduced to allow targeted strikes.

Chirac, 73, did not say whether France would be prepared to use pre-emptive strikes against a country it saw as a threat.

CAUSASIAN is offline Banned
    That is basically saying France would respond to terrorism with greater terrorism. I have always said the West is more likely to use Nuclear Weapons than Asian or Muslim countries. Because the West looks at others as second class and almost not human sometimes.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I doubt France would use nukes..for any reason. France will not even deploy troops in its own defense, much less drop the big-bummer. As far as terrorism being stateless- I disagree. Terrorism seems to be rooted in certain areas, by a certain demographic...Many governemnts expicity advocate terrorism, thus being terrorist states. Despite these terrorist states launching attacks, harboring criminals and sponsoring groups, many of this countries citizen also live in France- Algeria, Iran, Pakis etc.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Even if a terrorist attack is state sponsored I cant understand what good dropping a nuke on them would do. It would just hurt the inocent population.

Offcourse if a large terrorist attack is mounted against france I guess that is the most efficient response from them. The french propably doesnt have the capacity to wield conventional warfar so far from home?? or do they?

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    State sponsored terrorism is an oxymoron for the US and Russia, the rest are amateurs and proxies.

Thread Information