Flynman is offline Associate Member

What would be competetive?

What would be considered competetive for competition in the 198lbs&220lbs classes? Bench,Squat, Deadlift. How much does a double ply bench shirt and squat suit increase your lifts?

Thanks

qccat is offline Associate Member
    squat suits and bench shirts can add a lot to your lifts, but they really change the lift drastically They each take a lot of work in getting used to but are a must if you are gonna compete. they can add up to 100 pounds to a lift

Quote Originally Posted by Flynman
    What would be considered competetive for competition in the 198lbs&220lbs classes? Bench,Squat, Deadlift. How much does a double ply bench shirt and squat suit increase your lifts?

Thanks
    I'm 230. Most comps i've been to had 220, then 242. Ive benched over 500 raw. Deadlifted over 600 raw. I've squatted 550 to the floor(no more possible depth,true squat) without any belts or wraps. I dont usually do to bad in them though. I've never even used a squat/deadlift suit. However I have heard good things about the Inzer hardcore suit. Inzer has a couple new designs out as far as bench shirt. The phenom" is what Rebecca Swanson used to become the first women to bench over 500 pounds.

Only experience with bench shirts I have had was an older single ply denim that I got around 30 pounds with,nothing great. The odds of a bench shirt adding 100 pounds to your bench are very unlikely. Most people just assume that they will. I have had zero experience with the new double polys so I could be wrong. The people that use the shirts and get 100+ out of them are usually professionals. You need to find a perfect groove for the shirt.

A lot of people I know that never train with them just assume they can throw one on and add 50 pounds to their lift. HAHA is all I can say to that. Thats the same as shooting fina for a day and saying **** this stuff is going to make me strong after one day. I'm not a big advocate of anything other then knee wraps and a belt.

A good bench shirt will run you around 200 bucks by the way. A good squat/deadlift suit will run you around 150 bucks. That's a lot of money if your not dead set on competing. If your like me and just love powerlifting then money is never an issue.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    finding the perfect groove is important like he said, and although very few people can add much weight, ive seen it done w/ double poly denims, pretty ridiculous. and yeah they get spendy

Flynman is offline Associate Member
    I'm 41yrs old 215lbs My lifts are 410 bench Raw, 695 squat belt wraps, dead lift 625 raw. I'm trying to improve my training as I am kinda new to just powerlifting.Any info on the sport would be greatly appreciated. Are there any good powerlifting magazines out there?

Thanks

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    "Any info on the sport would be greatly appreciated. Are there any good powerlifting magazines out there?"

PLUSA is a good place to start. But also check out: www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com, and www.apfmichigan.com lots of good info about the sport on both of those sites.

Erm

Thread Information