proper way to dead lift

yeah, i was wondering if i have been deadlifting correctly for the past 2 YEARS... i know its kind of hard to explaine over comp. i used to use the ground as the point to go back up, and bend the knees as least as possible,(or are you supposed to bend them as much as needed?) keep back straight and lock out at end.

Q #2. we only have one squat rack at our stupid gym, so i usually have to use the "platform" dead lift thing, im sure you all know what i am talking about, anyways it seems i go down too far, is that thing really for heavy lifting and dead lifts or just for your a@@..peace

ya, on your deadlift form.i know exactly what your talking about b/c i use the same form. people will always walk up to me look at the amount of weight im doing, look at my form, then say "watch your back bro, you dont wanna blow it out".when i do my deads im one of those type of people who dont bend there knees that much. ive worked to a respectable 495x3 on my deads so i see no reason for switching my technique around right now.i dont think you should be worried about it either.

stop using the deadlift platform. i know exactly what your talking about. that platform was invented solely for the reason to do stiff legged deads. these stiff legged deads work out your hamstrings. you dont need it, especially if your looking on adding on alot of weight to your deads.my suggestion on that is, if your gym has a rubber matting covering the entire floor, to find a quiet place in the corner, grab a bar off a benchpress and go do your deads over there. you wont disturb anyone and you dont have to worry about anyone disturbing you.
    you dont need a squat rack bro.

thanks for the input.
    the reason i said squat rack is bc there is no other room to do ANYTHING. there is no free room to pick up a barbell and take it to a corner, iver ****ing corner has somthing in it.

lol ****, well time to start moving equipment around, unless its bolted to the floor.

adamw1 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=)(PimP JuicE)(]yeah, i was wondering if i have been deadlifting correctly for the past 2 YEARS... i know its kind of hard to explaine over comp. i used to use the ground as the point to go back up, and bend the knees as least as possible,(or are you supposed to bend them as much as needed?) keep back straight and lock out at end.

If you have been doin it for 2 years without injury and your increasing your lifts then its obviously working for you bro although in my opinion you should try deadlifting to text book form because it will start hitting parts that your not now

stupid ****ing gym is gay, no ****d room!!@!

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have showed alot of people how to deadlift and some people just cant do them with good form.(ussually tall or fat people) I myself am not comfortable seeing people deadlift while bending straight over or bending their back.

You should be able to find a foot position, either conventional or sumo that you can perform the exercise correctly. You should keep the bar all the way up to your shins and drag the bar up your legs( you should dress right). Then keep your back arched and stiff with your butt down. The lift should be a mixture of leg and back movement. If you have a problem with keeping your ass down then look up at the ceiling. If at anytime your form does not permit you to keep your eyes on the ceiliing thru out the movement then you are performing the lift with bad form. And should have someone show you how to perform the lift correctly. Its hard to completely help someone out with their form over the computor

Even if you say you can do an extreme amount of weight with bad form. Just think of how much stronger you would be with good form. And safer!!!!!!!

Dont wear a belt on deadlift except on 1rep max atempts. The purpose of the exercise is to work the lower back. And working with a belt just hinders this.

Aboot is offline Banned
    From a powerlifting perspective, you should be using your legs a bit more than it sounds you are currently doing. You're not maximizing your leverage by leaving your legs out of the movement.

As for not being injured yet and using the form you are, I agree with you somewhat. If you're comfortable and there's no pain then I would say ok, as long as it's not an extreme movement you're doing.

Thread Information