Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

stiff legged deadlifts

Is it good to throw alot of weight on this exercise or will it hurt your back?

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    depends how good your form is. If you look like a rainbow while doing it, you'll probably hurt it. If you keep it very very straight, and look more like a jack knife, you might not.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisAdams
    depends how good your form is. If you look like a rainbow while doing it, you'll probably hurt it. If you keep it very very straight, and look more like a jack knife, you might not.

I agree. You can hurt yourself doing any exercise. Learn the form first and the weight second. I love stiff legs though.

general31 is offline Associate Member
    I like to do 3/4 deadlifts. Set the smith machine or the rack pins just below the knee, then do your sets as normal. Easier on the back and I've had great results.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    you'll be fine, like they said just master the form w/ lighter weight, then get after it w/ heavy weight as you progress and feel comfortable

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    To be honest... you should be using your hips much more than your back when doing stiff legged deadlifts... And yes... do them regularly, they complemet zerchers rather well on DE days....Personaly, I do these very often and I prefer to do them off a platform.

sepjuice is offline Anabolic Member
    imo it should be a light weight exercise.

Hooligan is offline Associate Member
    you really will feel it in the hamstrings / glute area more than your back if you're using the right muscles. the lower back should have little work to do except keeping your torso straight so that you're only bending at the hips. it is probably good to have a well developed / supportive lower back before beginning higher weight stiff-legs to prevent injury.

eacman65 is offline Member
    stiff legs are the ****, i love em i dont go any heavier that 315 though

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    I myself go quite a bit heavier than 315.. I DL around 650lbs... SO it's not uncommon for me to do over 405 on stifflegged DL's... If you are doing them correctly, your lower back won't hurt at all... It's more about building up your hip flexers and making your hams stronger... Doing Heavy Pullthroughs and GHR's will help Tons!

eacman65 is offline Member
    thats a good deadlift heavy as hell thats the only way to train!

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    I myself go quite a bit heavier than 315.. I DL around 650lbs... SO it's not uncommon for me to do over 405 on stifflegged DL's... If you are doing them correctly, your lower back won't hurt at all... It's more about building up your hip flexers and making your hams stronger... Doing Heavy Pullthroughs and GHR's will help Tons!
    yea i try to tell my coaches that it doesnt hurt your back if you do them right and i dont feel anything in my back just my hamstrings, but our head coach acts like he knows more than anyone about weightlifting.

Thread Information