Thread: Floor Press

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member

Floor Press

I have been doing floor presses for 4 sets of 8-10 reps.

Should I be doing more weight and less reps or is this good?

D

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I would go heavy for sets of triples and doubles after a good warm up... only way to get strong is low reps heavy weight... reps in the 8-10 range is just a warm up weight... by doing floor presses i assume your primary goal is strength. I do not see a lot of floor pressing going on in most gyms... I use floor presses 1-2x a month getting great results... floor presses are great for tricep strength... the most important muscle used in benching! I just hit a 551 on june 19 (a.p.f. fl state @242) and plan on breaking 600 soon... floor pressing is an important part of my arsenal... I am happy to see someone trying something that in most gyms would would get questioned... keep at it and stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    I would go heavy for sets of triples and doubles after a good warm up... only way to get strong is low reps heavy weight... reps in the 8-10 range is just a warm up weight... by doing floor presses i assume your primary goal is strength. I do not see a lot of floor pressing going on in most gyms... I use floor presses 1-2x a month getting great results... floor presses are great for tricep strength... the most important muscle used in benching! I just hit a 551 on june 19 (a.p.f. fl state @242) and plan on breaking 600 soon... floor pressing is an important part of my arsenal... I am happy to see someone trying something that in most gyms would would get questioned... keep at it and stay strong!

Couldnt have said it better.......We are very similar in our strength and weight also...RJstrong

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    I do floor presses at least once or twice a month working up to a max single for a personal record. Great strength builder. I think they work best for me with a close grip to target the tri's more. Congrats on the 551 RJstrong. I'm lifting at the Georgia State meet in September and 551 is what I'm after in the bench. Hope to hit a 804 squat and 606 deadlift. Good luck on the 600. Give it a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong

Thanks for the advice bro.

I do them every third chest workout and thought maybe I was going to light.

I'll bump it up next go around.

D

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    I work them pretty often..I'm not sure on exactly how many times a month I hit them but it is frequant..probably at least once every 2nd or third ME workout.

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    For assistence work, using 4x8-10 is fine, you might try experiementing with 5x5. If you are using it as an ME movement, then you want to work up to a 1 RM.

Erm

Quote Originally Posted by Ermantroudt
    For assistence work, using 4x8-10 is fine, you might try experiementing with 5x5. If you are using it as an ME movement, then you want to work up to a 1 RM.

Erm
    Haven't seen you around in a while Erm.

I have never used floor presses as an ME movement. I always figured I would use movements that were 'full range' for ME days.

Am I wrong?

D

Ermantroudt is offline Associate Member
    Floor Press is pretty darn near full range for me! I rotate between full and shorter range of motion for my ME BP work: Four Boards, Decline, Lockouts, Floor Press, 5 Boards, Inclines, Three Board, etc.

If you are using the floor press as assisntence work, then the 4x8-10 is great for DE day, but seriously consider adding a second heavy movement on ME day, with reps in the 3-5 range after you hit your 1RM

Erm

Thanks Erm.

I only really do heavy movements on BP.

Flat, Decline, Incline, Bands, Lockouts, Floor Press, etc, etc....

D

Thread Information