Sta11ion is offline Member

Squating, how can I reduce pain in knees

I have noticed, when I do squats that my knees have a sharp pain. I was in a accident but the pain is more on the opposite knee. I have had 3 months off training, the other day was the first time I have done legs and the pain is still there. My doctor asked if I warmed up prior and noticed less pain. The answer is yes, I don't want to stop doing squats but it looks like that this is what I have to do.
    Any suggestion of a supplement or procedure that can improve this problem, Also if any one has taken gh and had this problem previously, did you notice a difference?
    Last edited by Sta11ion; 07-12-2004 at 02:32 PM.

eacman65 is offline Member
    have you tried knee-wraps

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by eacman65
    have you tried knee-wraps
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Warming up really good. On leg day I walk over to the smith machine and squat (ass to the floor...no weight) a goodly number of times to help me lube up my knees. I've bad knees and it seems to help. Have you tried any Glucomamin (sp)?

MY doctor did mention that but he said once you take it you have to take it for good, also I do use knee wraps all the time. But I only used it for heavy weights, I never had to use it for warming up. Glucomine what does it do exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Warming up really good. On leg day I walk over to the smith machine and squat (ass to the floor...no weight) a goodly number of times to help me lube up my knees. I've bad knees and it seems to help. Have you tried any Glucomamin (sp)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sta11ion
    MY doctor did mention that but he said once you take it you have to take it for good, also I do use knee wraps all the time. But I only used it for heavy weights, I never had to use it for warming up. Glucomine what does it do exactly?
    According to the adverts it helps rebuild cartilage (don't know about that) and lubricate joints. A lot of people use it and clame it helps.

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    Glucosamine for good ? Never heard that one. I just started last week should I stop how shure are you of this?

This is what I have been told, if you do get off the pain comes right back and sometimes worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    Glucosamine for good ? Never heard that one. I just started last week should I stop how shure are you of this?

qccat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    thats because it takes a long time to get in the system and not too long to get out. As far as knees hurting, make sure your technique is right on. Use some neoprenes and warm up well, knee wraps are good for heavy weight but not all the time

Little Girl is offline Female Member
    Make sure you put the pressure on the heel...

LG
    I don't beleive in luck, only work can bring us to reach the top!

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    If your knees shoot way out over your toes then you are putting unneeded pressure on them. Make sure you sit back and keep your shins as vertical as possible. How wide is your stance? When I first started squatting I used a very narrow stance and my knees hurt some. When I widened my stance the pain went away.

qccat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    If your knees shoot way out over your toes then you are putting unneeded pressure on them. Make sure you sit back and keep your shins as vertical as possible. How wide is your stance? When I first started squatting I used a very narrow stance and my knees hurt some. When I widened my stance the pain went away.
    very good point, also make sure your knees stay over your toes. Mine used to have a tendency to veer in when i squatted

I did notice this, I did l try this but it just came back. This problem of mine came almost same time I turned 26 strange(5 month ago)as for a wider stance it use to work but not anymore. Has anyone tried gh and had this problem, did you notice a improvement? I am very interested to see if this would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by qccat
    very good point, also make sure your knees stay over your toes. Mine used to have a tendency to veer in when i squatted

All right then, mind if we look at this a little deeper? How much weight on the bar are you working with, how many reps and how many sets? What type squats are you using? There are a very wide varity of different squats...front, sumo, box and so on. Maybe another type of squat might suit your knees. Are you lifting with flat shoes? Do you place a plate under you heels (old school)? Could be you might need to pick apart how you are performing them to see if there is something you could change.

It goes to about 455 pounds 8 reps 2 sets I get to this on the 6 set. Before this problem I would just warm up a little, 3 sets and thats it. Know I have to almost warm up free weight 3 set then a plate another 3 sets of 10, then 2 plates and know I cant pass 3 plates and a quater. The pain goes away but I just feel that something is wrong so I stop. The type of squats are pretty much a little pass my shoulders width, I go as far as paralel to were my knee is at, just a few inches below that. The bar is on the back of my shoulders, I dont no the name exactly of the squat its pretty much just a typical power squat. I am lifting with flat shoes. I dont place a plate under my heels. Should I try putting a plate under my heels. I will try it but I think I did it before and I even got more pain. when I would use the hack squat machine if my ackles were before my knees it would be more pain. If that helps.
    All right then, mind if we look at this a little deeper? How much weight on the bar are you working with, how many reps and how many sets? What type squats are you using? There are a very wide varity of different squats...front, sumo, box and so on. Maybe another type of squat might suit your knees. Are you lifting with flat shoes? Do you place a plate under you heels (old school)? Could be you might need to pick apart how you are performing them to see if there is something you could change.

No, don't place a plate under your heels...that's old school and was used to help with balance....better to get used to doing it flat feet than the other way....you're fine with foot placement. I vary my feet placement depending on what part of my legs I'm wanting to hit the most.

have you tried front squats? Place the bar across the front of your shoulders. Granted you'll not lift as much but I think it's the best for learning proper execution of a sqaut. Also place a bench behind you and squat to the point you can feel the bench when in the lower portion of the lift, don't sit down on it. Keeping your toes pointed forward and legs close together will hit the quads.....feet pointing out and with a wider stance will hit the glutes and ham more.

6-10 sets is a goodly amount of weight to be pushing....I generally do about 4 sets of 10 and two too three different types of squats but my work sets are about 80% of my maximum. Also I hop on the tread mill and walk about five minutes and do a couple of wind sprints before lifting. Even before I lift I warm up with one plate on the bar and go ass to the floor and pay attention to the mechanics of my lift to make sure I'm doing everything right.

This is all great knowledge, but it close to what I am doing already. I appreciate everyones time. I guess I am screwed I will try that glucomine and see from there. I feel so disapointed in myself that this is what happens. I will ask the same question if gh helped someone with similair problem in the gh forum.Anyway again thanks for everyones time.
    No, don't place a plate under your heels...that's old school and was used to help with balance....better to get used to doing it flat feet than the other way....you're fine with foot placement. I vary my feet placement depending on what part of my legs I'm wanting to hit the most.

have you tried front squats? Place the bar across the front of your shoulders. Granted you'll not lift as much but I think it's the best for learning proper execution of a sqaut. Also place a bench behind you and squat to the point you can feel the bench when in the lower portion of the lift, don't sit down on it. Keeping your toes pointed forward and legs close together will hit the quads.....feet pointing out and with a wider stance will hit the glutes and ham more.

6-10 sets is a goodly amount of weight to be pushing....I generally do about 4 sets of 10 and two too three different types of squats but my work sets are about 80% of my maximum. Also I hop on the tread mill and walk about five minutes and do a couple of wind sprints before lifting. Even before I lift I warm up with one plate on the bar and go ass to the floor and pay attention to the mechanics of my lift to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Sorry I could be more help bro.

THE DISAPOINTMENT IS BASED ON MY OWN ATICAPATION TOWARDS MY OWN GOALS. HOW I WANT TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING AND HOW IT ALWAYS IS RESTRICTED BY A OBSTACLE. BUT I WILL ACHIEVE THEM ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Once more THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.
    Sorry I could be more help bro.

Iceman1800 is offline New Member

Excellent post. Widen that stance and see what happens

morfeuss is offline Junior Member

knee

hi
    i may suggest to apply ice frequently, use the glucosamine..... and cod liver oil.

for me i did a cortisone injection in the knee, rested the knee for some time and since 2 years no pain at all, as i am weightlifter, squats is one of the essential exercises, so i know whats knee pain.

get some info on making that cortisone,

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    I will both agree and disagree on the cortisone shots. Do not get one unless you have to. And when you get that one, try to never have to get another one. I have heard they can weaken tendons and other surrounding tissue and can make you even more prone to injury. If you can heal it without it, do it. At the same time, I was preparing for a meet and suffered a rotator cuff injury. After going to more than a couple of docs, I learned that the only way I could still compete was to get the shots. I did and the pain really does go away. Like magic! I now do a lot of rotator work and I have no more problems. Although it may seem like a magic solution, try to avoid it.

jbigdog69 is offline Banned
    If there is a hot tub at you gym...sit in it for a good 15 minutes before doing legs. This always helps me. Peace

eacman65 is offline Member
    yeah that does feel pretty good

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I would suggest that you check your form before you start askign for supplements to help. Not to be rude or anything, but more often than not, knee pain is a result of improper form.

Thedudex2000 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah dude, you need to stretch a lot before you squat. You might even have tendinitis in that knee. I have that problem a lot. If that were the case, stretching and rest would make it feel better.

Dude

kemial is offline New Member
    DO you wrap your knees exremely tight with some wraps at least 3 inches in width?

radar1234 is offline Member
    i had the same problem until i started with leg extentions.usually 4 sets light weight for 20-25 reps.your quads will get pumped taking the pressure of your knees.at least thats what works for me.
    as for supplements:glucosamine/chondritin
    pain :t3s/percocets(just kidding.........or am i??)

ravenak is offline New Member
    I've noticed most people who have knee pain in deep squats aren't pushing thier butt back enough (you should be able to tell from a side view...if your knees travel past your feet then they are bound to hurt). I think taking supplements to cover the problem will eventually compound the issue? Best of luck...don't we all hate squats anyway?

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    what exactly do knee wraps do, how do they work, what do they accomplish and where can one get them.

squatting is squatting. no matter how you vary how you squat, or change up the different squat positions, your still putting weight on your knees.knee wraps will do nothing except give you temporary relief while actually squatting the weight.

sorry to say, but theyres only 2 ways out,

1)keep squatting and you will continue to have surgery on your knees untill your finished with the game.

2) you can slow down and find a different alternative to training your legs.

im sorry to type this out, but its the hard truth bro, i see **** like this everyday and im just sharing my knowledge.good luck.

morfeuss is offline Junior Member

sq

squat in not a knee killer!
    im doing squat for 9 years and since im 10 and now im 19, and only had knee pain not because of squat...
    and im doing squat 5 or 4 times a week, and deep squat. front and back.
    the training system is whats important.
    squat in snot something done on the go...theres learning...
    anyone can do it, but you must be getting down slowly, and accelerate up.. thats important.
    also sometimes i think to myself that knee wrap may be some kind of dangerous... as it will put more pressure on the knee...dont know how to explain...when you squat down the thickness of the wrap will put a separating force upon the knee joint, also prevent blood circulation..
    but a knee band may be used just under the knee to lift up the patella..

also after each training i apply 10 min of ice, even i have no pain...
    and surely some said that having a hot bath or something may help, but i dont think. it has been proved that only cold will remove any inflamation, and heat will worsen it..
    the glucosamine helps a lot in knee pains,,

also i dont think that keeping the shin vertical is good! i read this up...this will hurt your back! and this wat more pressure is on your knees!
    try to push your knees further than the toes when in deep squat.. but all depends on teh flexibility

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy.../indexcmp.html

Well, since a saw that people have been adding to this forum. I will add some new info. I have took squating completely out of my workout from my legs. I stopped doing legs for almost 2 months. I did acupucture and iced every other day. I have started to do legs but warm up on leg curls, another type of leg curls, then ext then squat machine and hack. It has gone away the pain. For now, but I will try to avoid squats for now just because I dont want to take the chance. My strength has gone up in machine squats and there is no discomfort. I believe the time off and the acupucture had to place a big role in healing my knee. I was also looking into the info cortisone shots I will try to stay away from that. But I did look into dosage of deca per week, it does look promising. Since a cycle will re revising soon I thought of adding this to it. Anyway Thanks for all the input.

Thread Information