betatest is offline Associate Member

Getting more lat involvement during bench

What preparations before and during bench press do you all go through to get more lat activation and spring in the lift? Some good advice I've been given involved rolling the shoulders back, pressing your traps firmly into the bench, and squeezing shoulder blades together.

I'd like to hear about additional physical and mental prep tips anyone has to get lats involved in the proper bench groove. This is a form issue that still plagues my lifts. Thanks for your help.

Aboot is offline Banned
    I include the majority of the movements you've listed above, but I also raise my upper body off the bench (kinda like a pull-up I guess) and then slowly lower myself back down to the bench while tensing my back and shoulder blades. It's more mental than anything, but gets me to concentrate on ensuring that all the muscles are tight and ready for the lift.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    Press straight into the air. None of that j-motion stuff.

Fwiw, I practiced this more during the past week, and all of the above techniques worked great. I recently got my first pair of wrist wraps and was extremely surprised by how much they helped to eliminate any concern about my grip on the bar and allow me to focus on form. D4mn good investment.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    I'm a big fan of the "J motion stuff" Ask Mike Miller, Gene Rychlak and Scott Mendelson...
    I think you've gotten some good advice on how to bench... Stick with it.. just make your lats stronger by doing more Lat work.. be sure to not forget to work in bent over barbell rows.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    I'm a big fan of the "J motion stuff" Ask Mike Miller, Gene Rychlak and Scott Mendelson...
    I think you've gotten some good advice on how to bench... Stick with it.. just make your lats stronger by doing more Lat work.. be sure to not forget to work in bent over barbell rows.
    I'm still getting used to the J motion bench form. It feels somewhat unnatural to me at the moment, but I'll keep at it. I've been doing plenty of lat work on back days. My lats are definitely one of my stronger parts. Thanks for the advice bro.

See the problem that I have with the "J" motion is simply geometry. The shortest distance between two points is always a straight line. When you increase lateral movement, via the "J" motion, you are having to push the weight further, not to mention moving it to a dangerous location closer to your face and changing from a better power angle to a lesser power angle.

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    See the problem that I have with the "J" motion is simply geometry. The shortest distance between two points is always a straight line. When you increase lateral movement, via the "J" motion, you are having to push the weight further, not to mention moving it to a dangerous location closer to your face and changing from a better power angle to a lesser power angle.
    Lol.. that's what the spotters are for....

The thing with the J motion is this.. by throwing the weight back and rotating your arms (throwing your elbows out) You get more involvement from your Delts/Lats/Triceps...ESPECIALLY the Triceps.. It's awkward at first, but believe me once you get you used to it.. You'll be setting new PR's in no time!

hold up....... define "throw them out." thats dangerous

Okay... Perhaps I should have said throw them Back... Because you throw the weight back toward you head when you drive it up.. YOu rotate your elbows out while moving the weight back. Your elbows are pointed more toward your legs when you touch... but when you get to the top of the lift they should be more pointed toward your spotters...

Does that make sense?

Thread Information