RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member

Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Routine

I'm new to the Powerlifting game. I've been the traditional bodybuilder since I was 16. I need something new to challenge me. So I'm giving Powerlifting a shot for the Winter.

I was going through some routines and I'm keeping my lifts all basic, but adding in a little bit of Bodybuilding in the mix. Here's my split and for those experienced in Powerlifting, critique it.

It'll be a 2 week heavy period, then 1 week light or ME.

Week 1+2 (Heavy)

Day 1 - Bench Press/Shoulders (ABS)
    Flat Bench Press: 2 sets of 20 reps (warm up)
    5 sets of 5 reps
    4 sets of 4 reps
    3 sets of 3 reps
    2 sets of 2 reps
    1 set of 1 rep
    Military Press: 5 sets of 5 reps
    Front Dumbell Raises: 5 sets of 5 reps

Day 2 - Deadlift/Chinups/Traps (ABS)

Deadlifts - 2 sets of 20 reps (warm up)
    5 sets of 5 reps
    4 sets of 4 reps
    3 sets of 3 reps
    2 sets of 2 reps
    1 set of 1 rep
    Chin Ups - 10 sets of 3 reps
    Barbell Shrugs - 10 sets of 3 reps

Day 3 - Rest

Day 4 - Squat/Hamstring (ABS)
    Squats - 2 sets of 10 (warm up)
    5 sets of 5 reps
    4 sets of 4 reps
    3 sets of 3 reps
    2 sets of 2 reps
    1 set of 1 rep
    Hamstring Curls - 10 sets of 15 reps

Day 5 - Arms/Forearms/Calves
    Barbell Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
    Skull Crushers - 5 sets of 5 reps
    Reverse Grip Chin Ups - 5 sets of 5 reps
    Weighted Dips - 5 sets of 5 reps
    Forearm Barbell Curls - 8 sets of 20 reps
    Reverse EZ Bar Curl - 8 sets of 20 reps
    Calf Raises - 10 sets of 20 reps
    Seated Calf Riases - 10 sets of 20 reps

Day 6 - REST

Day 7 - REST

I also am sticking to the Powerlifting mentality of 2 steps forward, 2 step back. So week three is ME week. All my exercises have less sets but higher reps just to give my body a break and a minor shock.

And depending on how my body is reacting, I may or may not add in the extra day including ARMS/CALVES.

Any critiques?

well, thats alot of ****in sets on the flat bench bro.15 sets of flat bench? thats not a good idea, keep your bench routine simple. keep your reps and sets low. i do 5 sets of lower repetitions to incorporate different fibers.always do weighted dips. every OTHER week theres a ME day, not every 3rd. sometimes some of my buddys do theyre ME day every friday and that works good also. weighted dips also play a major role in powerlifting, atleast for me they did. add in some bands and chains also if your really trying to up your strength.

if i were you, i would stick heavy EVERY week, but on every other week just switch up your chest routine. usually when im at a stick point, or i have a meet coming, i do sets of 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1, then hit the negatives, i only do this every time i get stuck up tho bro.

but i mean, looking at your arm routine, it still looks like your afriad to come out of the bodybuilding shadow. in powerlifting, all your smaller muscles such as calves, biceps, hams,etc etc, get no spot attention whatsoever. when i was into powerlifting, i NEVER did a bicep workout.i did shrugs for my traps only on bench days sometimes.
    what im trying to say is, since theyres no NEED for you to waste your time or energy doing seated incline dumbell curls, then why do them?

powerlifting is all about alot of heavy weight, and alot of rest. when i was on the bench team, and not the deadlift/bench team or not the clean and jerk/bench team. i worked nothing except my chest, shoulders, and tris. your gonna learn that squats play a major role for increasing your bench strength also.

theres alot of **** to it bro, if i went on, i could probably type 10 more pages on it. but good luck man

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    You are doing way to many sets. when you train for power you are training both the fast and slow twitch muscle fibers the slow twitch fibers can hangle a greater load but fatigue much faster. I however, would suggest that you spend time on your assistance exercises, failure to train any muscle group could place added stress on your tendons/ligaments/major muscles and actually cause injury.

It's good to get some responses.

I'm used to the High-Intensity and High-Volume training, that's why I posted up my routine before giving it a go.

Thanks for your advice/responses Itsallmental and Kdawg21.

I'm just guessing your goals are to get stronger since your switching to powerlifting. I would personally recommend finding your sticking points and diagnosing them with the proper training. Always be more open minded about powerlfting then bodybuilding. Use of chains,boards is a must IMO. Find yourself a rountine that works well with you. Always remain heavy and low reps on the big 3 lifts.

Like the others have mentioned thats a lot of reps. If you decide to use boards or chains then i would suggest a lot of reps then. Just not on the flat bench alone. Calories and overloading the bodies strength capacity is what powerlifting is all about. It's really basic,but can get more complex after gains slow. Good luck though!
    Last edited by goodtobeapimp; 08-12-2004 at 02:16 AM.

Thread Information