Mallet is offline Anabolic Member

Deadlift Routines

I've heard different opinions on how many sets and how many reps and how often to train deadlifts, bench presses, and squats. If anyone has a good routine for either of these three disciplines please post them up for comparison, i'm not really asking for right vs wrong routines i just need to find one that might fit into my lifestyle and time schedule etc...

well, are you competing? if so, it makes a big difference on what and when you should be training these areas. right now im in a bench/deadlift federation, and i rarely have time to train anything else. i leave 2 days a week for chest/bench, 1 day a week for my back/deadlift, and 1 squat day. the other 3 days of the week are rest days. if i have a meet that week, i will cut a chest/bench day out and throw in another rest day. most of the time, the meets will benefit you, if your lifts are succesfull(think of it as a ME day). i havnt done a bicep workout for a couple years now that i think about it.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    I personally go with a westside routine.
    If you train squats as well it's important to keep your deadlift volume down to avoid overtraining and cns fatigue as both lifts use the same muscle groups for the most part although at slightly different angles.

xxxl83

Right now I'm not competeing, next year I'm going to do an Amateur strongman event, i'm training now with tire flips, farmers walks and log presses etc, but that's just one day a week the rest of the week i'm in the gym so i do deadlifts once a week, squats once a week, bench press once a week, inbetween my deads and squat day i through in shoulders or arms, I may drop the arms when i get closer to competing and add another leg or back day, i'll probably drop chest as well and add an extra shoulder day. Right now I don't use any weight belts or knee wraps etc, i'm trying not to use wraps until my heavy sets or i can't hold the bar anymore so that i can build my grip strength up but once i get around the 500lb mark the hands aren't holding anymore so i wrap them for the sake of getting in soem decent reps etc... anything you think i should change up?

if your training for all around strength, drop the arm and shoulders workouts. throw in a few rotor cuff excercises after your bench routine/chest routine, and do only side lat raises after your chest also. your shoulders will lag, but they will build along with your chest, strength wise. as your side lats get stronger, so will your rotor cuff, which will help you support ALOT more in your push presses when it comes to your strongman.

if i were you, i would get on a routine like this. you most likely already have a routine, but you might wanna reconsider.heres what i always jump on, when powerlifting comes around, which is now.

m-bench days/chest days(i always do bench on this day no matter what, but then i switch up the excercises after, such as pin presses/board presses/floor presses/dips), do only 3 sets of side lat raises after, heavy sets of 6-8, then i do 3 sets of rotor cuff excercises.

t-rest

wed- back/deadlift days(always do deadlift, but will switch up back routine after,keep it heavy) do only shrugs on this day, with no wraps, let your grip get as strong as your shrugs, this will help alot.

thurs-rest

friday- light chest or ME chest days( this day i will either lighten it up, or do my ME) every other week i rotate them. if im coming close to a meet, i will do a light day, you will mess yourself up doing a ME day, days before your meet.

saturday- squats/quads. dont do excessive excercises you dont need, such as calf raises or romanian dead's. these excercises are worth jack crap when your a powerlifter.

sun-rest.

like i said, drop excercises you DONT need and throw in more rest. my biceps get the strength they need to on my back days, you would laugh if you saw my physique, as i have mostly upper body, and in that upper body, its mostly, chest/shoulder/tri.

i could care less about biceps/calves/forearms/etc.what you need to be paying attention to, is your stabalizer muscles. such as your rotor cuff, your lower back, your forearms. these muscles will play a big ass role when you enter in your strongman comp, as it will prove how much weight you will really be able to support.

if your on a 5 day a week routine, m-f, you shoulf highly consider switching it up bro. rest is a major major major issue in this game.

Itsallmental

Cool! that's what I was looking for...I can incorporate a 6 day routine no problem. I don't mind dropping arms because mine aren't spectacular anyways (19") but as long as you think the bench will keep my tri's strong enough and the dips then I can drop the arm days...shoulders i end up training at the camp on wed though with log presses, I already have freaky rear delts so i don't need alot of shoulder training for my delts to stay around, so if bench presses alone will keep the fronts in check i'm good to go. Thanx again for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Mallet
    Cool! that's what I was looking for...I can incorporate a 6 day routine no problem. I don't mind dropping arms because mine aren't spectacular anyways (19") but as long as you think the bench will keep my tri's strong enough and the dips then I can drop the arm days...shoulders i end up training at the camp on wed though with log presses, I already have freaky rear delts so i don't need alot of shoulder training for my delts to stay around, so if bench presses alone will keep the fronts in check i'm good to go. Thanx again for your help
    your gonna have to throw in 3 or 4 sets of a a tricep excercise after your bench, before you do your side lat raises. its nothing major, but keep it heavy. most days, i just do tricep pushdowns.UNLESS, you do some form of close grip bench, or dips, and you emphasize more stress on your triceps. the idea is, to make your tri's stronger as your lats/chest get stronger as well.

Thread Information