Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

Can I win a Bench Contest for my wieght?

HI, im 5'8" and around 165lbs (naked) now after a few weeks of dieting.

I can bench 315 for 2 reps (clean). do you think i could compete in a bench competition?

Iowa is offline Banned
    make sure to train with a bench shirt or you'll get smoked. It all depends on your competition too. Anything over 200% of your bw w/o a shirt is good IMO. The best ive seen here in Iowa was 270% with a shirt. So id say you could hold your own bro.

so if your 100lbs your bench should be 300? i cant do % conversions. i dont wear shirt but i hear itll ad like 20-30lbs

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    so if your 100lbs your bench should be 300? i cant do % conversions. i dont wear shirt but i hear itll ad like 20-30lbs
    Yeah, just take the weight you lifted divided by your bw. 300/100=3.00 or 300%. Id invest in a shirt bro.

where does one get a shirt???

Iowa is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    where does one get a shirt???
    check your PM's

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    actually a good shirt with practice can add up to 250 lbs to a bench press. it just all depends on your skill with it, and how the shirt makes up for your deficiencies.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
    actually a good shirt with practice can add up to 250 lbs to a bench press. it just all depends on your skill with it, and how the shirt makes up for your deficiencies.
    The exact reason I am against bench shirts of any kind being used. Whats next? guys with forklifts to help lift the weight? or maybe we can hire a few big guys to stand on opposite ends of the bar to lift a few extra hundred lbs. Sorry for my venting guys but bench shirts/arching of the back/lifting with the legs all turn my stomach when it comes to bench pressing..I guess I'm old school.

315 for 2 reps at 165 is great bro and if you can find a local gym bench press contest where they don't allow shirts or funny tactics I'm sure you would place in the top 3 if not better for your weight class. The last time I was in a bench contest was with Golds gym back in 95 (**** almost 10 years ago)and although I didn't win with a press of 440 or so since I was in the 220+ class at the time(competing with 300+ lbers) it was a lot of fun and I got to see some very impressive Bro's throw up some nice weight which motivated me to get my numbers higher which I'm still trying to do.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    The exact reason I am against bench shirts of any kind being used. Whats next? guys with forklifts to help lift the weight?
    Haha I was thinking maybe surgically implanted hydraulics... maybe

BARBENDER29 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
    Chris is right bro,it all depends on how much you practice with your shirt.If catch the right groove you will be amazed at the weight you can push.I also like using the shirt for safety reasons.I have tried several different types of shirts and have to say that I like the denim shirts best (open back).

gibsonlpsd is offline Junior Member
    i wish i would have stayed heavy into powerlifting back when i was in high school. i was 140 and my max was 315 at the beginning of my senior year. unfortunately i have been out of the power lifting scene for 3 years now and there is now way i could do anything near that amount. maybe one day i will work back up to it. but yeah, i think you should definetly compete, i think you would have a good chance. good luck bro if you do.

Merlin_TM is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    The exact reason I am against bench shirts of any kind being used. Whats next? guys with forklifts to help lift the weight? or maybe we can hire a few big guys to stand on opposite ends of the bar to lift a few extra hundred lbs. Sorry for my venting guys but bench shirts/arching of the back/lifting with the legs all turn my stomach when it comes to bench pressing..I guess I'm old school.
    Wait, wait...how does someone else's shirt affect you? You think someone just throws on a bench shirt and it magically gives them 100+ lbs on their bench? It takes practice, conditioning, and finding what works. It's part of the sport.

You take steroids ....that's illegal! Equipment is something available to everyone and it's legal.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_TM
    Wait, wait...how does someone else's shirt affect you? You think someone just throws on a bench shirt and it magically gives them 100+ lbs on their bench? It takes practice, conditioning, and finding what works. It's part of the sport.

You take steroids....that's illegal! Equipment is something available to everyone and it's legal.
    Juice won't add a few hundred lbs to anyones bench...I'm lucky to get a 45 lb increase while I'm on cycle. I worked out natural for over a decade and I was pushing 475/flat backed/no arch/no legs and No shirt and no juice. I started working out just a couple of years after you were born and back then you just didn't see them used...My disgust of them has carried with me through the years and while now I'm juicing old beliefs are hard to shake...hope that clarifies things for you.

And lets not forget that the vast majority of the strong benchers in PL these days are using juice and GH to name a few and still use the shirts. Powerlifting has changed so much that raw strength isn't the main factor anymore..technique and tools are and that just makes the sport less interesting to many people..why do you think the sport has gone downhill so much? No disrespect intended toward the hardcore Pl'ers keeping it alive maybe your dedication can eventually turn it around.

Thread Information