HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

Strength question

i pulled this from a site on the net and it has me wondering if it works! it looks like it would work very good but i jsut wanna know if anybody has tried it out!!!

rest pause training is similar to techniques used by powerlifters to be able to lift a higher weight more often. it's taking a weight that you can only do ONE rep with, and then rest a minute or two, you then lift the weight for one more rep, and rest. you do this ten times, so you've done ten reps, out of ten sets. your next workout you cut down the rest period by 15 seconds. do your max rep, rest 45 seconds, etc. . ., for another ten sets, for a total of 10 reps. you keep on chiseling that resting period down to 15, then 10, then 5 seconds, and then finally, no rest. you've now taken your max weight, and conditioned your muscles to lift it 10 times.

i'm trying to get as strong as possible on bodybuilding lifts to put on somemore size and with the whole "power-building" theories going around i wanted to get some info on this type of training!

anybody?

that looks like a horrible way to train, and nah in all my powerlifting life i have never seen anyone do that. the only time i do rest pause bench, is in the actualy meet, when the judges are watching.

if you wanna train for strength your gonna have to train differently than bodybuilding.

morfeuss is offline Junior Member
    the muscle of powerlifters and bb are not same....so sure the training will not be same!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Rest-pause is a Weider training princible. You are close at how it is done but the actual way to help strength using rest-pause technique is only 10-20 seconds rest period instead of 2 minutes..

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I thought rest pausing was a invention of mentzer. I tried his rest pause methods and it gave me good strenght gains for exactly 3 weeks then I started declining in everything. It sux in my honest opinion.

ive just read about it ive never tried and i know that Gunter Schlierkamp uses this principle!

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I thought rest pausing was a invention of mentzer. I tried his rest pause methods and it gave me good strenght gains for exactly 3 weeks then I started declining in everything. It sux in my honest opinion.
    Why the drop? Did the muscles just adapt?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino58
    Why the drop? Did the muscles just adapt?
    to be honest I have no clue why it stopped working Maby it was to intense and overtrained me. Only possibly explenation I can think of. I dont like it either because of the injury risk. Maxing out in the benchpress and then rest 20-30 seconds before maxing out again. That sounds like a good way to tear a pec.

If you want restpausing do it doggcrapps way that works good

you're actually suppose to pick your max weight you suppose to pick a weight that you can do for like 2-3 reps! just curious about this principle because it sounds like it would work!

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    I once read that you have to find out the maximum weight you can lift correctly then take two thirds of that weight and lift it 8 times for 3 sets. But everyone is different

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    No Mentzer was simular to Dorian Yates training philosophy of max weight 1-2 reps only. I have my certificate in Weider Bodybuilding Trainer signed by Ben Weider himself and most of todays princibles are Weider. MOST of the old pro's followed Weider like Anold as Weider got him to the USA that included Mike Mentser although he has his own HIT philosophy. Realize that the rest-pause is a advanced technique used to overcome some plateaus to assist in strength and size and if you are inexperienced can be innefective leading to injury as max weights are used. It is also not used all the time but sparingly.

Ok I thought it was Mentzers creation cause I have read in a article in Ironman where mentzer wrote about when he followed a rest pause system that he claimed was his invention.

to be honest I think both traditionela volume aproach(like arnie) and mentzers HIT sucks big black dick.

so what kind of training do you follow?

I used to follow a medium volume approach when bodybuilding, with 4 workouts a week. 2 upper body 2 lower body.

Now I either do westside or doggcrapp

do you find doggcrapp works good?

yes doggcrapp is the only thing that makes my chest grow and my deadlift went from 3 reps on 180kg to 3 reps on 205kg in just 7 weeks. My 1rm also went from 200kg to 220kg. I made some SIC gain in leg strenght. One one leg press machine I increased over 70kg in just 3 weeks!! But my knees couldnt handle that. The gains was incredibly in every lower body and back exercise. Not so incredible in upper body though

ProPayne7 is offline New Member
    What the hell is Doggcrapp

its a training method thought up by a guy called dante over here in cali, do a search!

Thread Information