scumby50 is offline New Member

advice to increase deadlift max

need some advice. competitiive powerlifter, has deadlifted 600 at 181lbs raw and clean. now i have converted to training with juice and using equipment at 198lbs trying to hit a 700 deadlift. i have been doing a 3 by 3 training program or known as the german bloc training. my deadlift does not stay consistent, sometimes 500lbs is the most i can do in a day for one rep, other days i can pull it for fives. sometimes i can pull 600 no problem other days i can;t buge 550, what gives???i need advice of how to break the 700 bariier and keep my deadlift numbers consistent and not vary so much from week to week. any training advice for the sumo deadlifter? any programs, ideas shoot them my way

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    have you ever tried the westside approach?

scumby50 is offline New Member
    the westside seems to work wonders for the squat and not so much focus on the dead. only exception, chuck vogelphol, but to be honest i tried the old west side principals once, but it was never clearly stated to me of how to efficently run the program any advice?

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    really work your forearms and do a lot of grip work. Part of having or good deadlift or increasing your deadlift is working grip strength. If you use wraps don't use them anymore because they take grip strength out of the equation. Here is a correct westside program his worked wonders for dead, squat, and bench for me. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=42046

Anhydro78 is offline Anabolic Member
    Have you done Half reps in a Rack with extra weight?? Or stood on a box while lifting to lower the bar?? DO you train both conventional and sumo?

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    try using chains, and speed work.

xxxl83

Jorge S is offline New Member
    what works for me is training heavy for 3 weeks doing 8 sets(4 sets of 3 and 4 sets of singles) increasing the weight each time. each week i go up at least 20 pounds on each set. then i switch to speed work for 3 weeks, using 40-60 percent of your 1 rep max. keep the weight the same, and rest for only 30-60 seconds. each week increase the weight 10-20 pounds. sometimes do them at a disadvantage. this helps the start of the lift greatly. dont stay in the bottom position of the lift too long, set your feet, grab the bar and rip it off the floor, dont test the weight.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest implementing all of these great ideas listed above... I have used them all with great success... pulling a 722 at the APF southern states Dec. 5, 2004... raw at a bodyweight of 234... may I also suggest right after deads hitting weighted hyperextensions... progessively going heavier... approx. 3-4 sets... you know you have done this work out correctly when you realize that you can hardly walk upright!!!

one more idea... rack pulls under the pins... set up the power rack...deadlift up to the pins... approx. 3/4 of the way up... hit the pins as hard as you can... hold weight to pins for a 5 second count... I would suggest a weight you can handle for 3 sets of 5 as a starting point... use this technique sparingly.

If you are to research Westside's methods you will find they use a variety of good mornings... if you haven't found a place for good mornings in your powerlifting training you are seriously missing an important piece of the puzzle... a little side note... the best deadlifter that I know has pulled a 800lbs. dead in the gym... I have also seen him rep 405 for 6-8 doing good mornings... good luck... and as you can see simply straight deadlifting just isn't enough!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    thanks everyone. it is all good advice. good mornings, rack pulls, and the westside traing and we will see what happens

RRogers is offline New Member
    Judging from what you have deadlifted in the past and the large disparity in numbers from one workout to the next, I would almost suggest that something in your setup or pull execution isn't quite consistent. I am not a great deadlifter by any means, but I can pull in the 6's at 40 years old and 225 pounds. On any given day if I grab the bar and don't get my shoulders behind it before I begin the pull I will rob a hundred pounds off of my lift. Even with lighter weights like 415 I can just about bust a nut if I do something silly like push my hips high too soon and end up with my shoulders in front of the bar. Obviously you know your groove or you wouldn't be pulling as much as you do, but try to video tape a few sessions and see what is happening differently on those days when you just can't pull. Maybe you aren't pushing your abs out enough etc.

CrazyKC is offline Associate Member
    I would suggest doing about 65%-75% of your max for 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps. Try that for a couple of weeks and it should help you increase your max much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKC
    I would suggest doing about 65%-75% of your max for 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps. Try that for a couple of weeks and it should help you increase your max much quicker.
    i would think that is to high of a percentage for that many reps. also i was always under the impression to keep your deadlift reps lower more that higher. anyone have any comments?

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    wk1 45%of RM 8x3
    wk2 50% 8x3
    wk3 55% 8x3
    wk4 60% 8x3
    wk5 65% 8x3
    wk6 70% 8x3
    wk7 75% 5x3
    wk8 80% 4x3
    wk9 85% 3x3
    wk10 90% 2x3
    wk11 95% 2x3
    wk12 100% 1x3 your previous one rep max will now be a triple!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    wk1 45%of RM 8x3
    wk2 50% 8x3
    wk3 55% 8x3
    wk4 60% 8x3
    wk5 65% 8x3
    wk6 70% 8x3
    wk7 75% 5x3
    wk8 80% 4x3
    wk9 85% 3x3
    wk10 90% 2x3
    wk11 95% 2x3
    wk12 100% 1x3 your previous one rep max will now be a triple!!!
    that actually may be a beneficial program, maz effort/periodization using low reps. i love it, i willgive it a whirl.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    as a general rule of thumb

whenever I have trouble increasing weight on a certian lift I try to find a flaw in technique.
    Also I cross train by training the same muscles in a different way.
    And find out which is the weakest muscle involved in that specific movement and make it stronger through isolated exercise.

Thread Information