Thread: Federations

cornfedcountryboy is offline New Member

Federations

I compete in Son Light Power, I was just wondering what Federations everyone else competes in

lata
    cornfed

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    APF for me

phreezer is offline Respected Member

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    A.P.F. I will be lifting in 242's @ the southern states this weekend in New Smyrna, FL... hoping to break 2100

cornfedcountryboy is offline New Member
    RJstrong, good luck on the 2100 this weekend, Im sure you will smash that.

power65 is offline Associate Member

Question What??

What organization is Son Light Power? Never heard of this organization. Does the name mean something? Over the years I've lfted in many organizations. I started off in USPF. The started doing a lot of the WABDL meets. I lifted all the way to the WADBL Worlds. Then I tried APA some. But the last few meets I've done have been with the USAPL. USAPL seems to be the cleanest group out there as far as true "Drug Testing".

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    SLP has a bit of a bad reputation for some reason. I have always lifted in the APF but I am starting to want to try out the USPF or USAPL. I would like to see how well I could do under those tight judging/equipment standards.

Hey power65, are we related?

Talking

We may be related Power76?? If you are interested in lifting in the USPF or USAPL I can make a few comments on both. USPF meets seem to be a little more enjoyable than USAPL. I lifted in USPF for years here in Texas. I the only reason I switched to USAPL was for the drug testing. I was just at a point where I was competing clean and wanted an even playing field. I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to use "Gear". If that's for you than great. But if you're going to be a clean lifter you just have to try to even the playing field some. Just makes since. Now I did do well in USPF even clean. I won several meets clean because I don't think everyone there is using. Bottom Line.....I've never really lifted with any organization that I didn't enjoy the company of everyone there. Just about every powerlifter I've ever met out there always seems to be a pretty great guy or gal. I will tell you this about the USAPL. They are sticklers when it comes to rules, I mean all rules. It's almost a little crazy at times. Example....a couple of years ago I had to drive from Houston, TX to Austin, TX to lift in a meet. That's about a 3 1/2 hour drive. Well weigh in was from 4:30-8:00pm. I was counting on getting into Austin at about 7:00pm. Well due to traffic in Austin and road construction at the time (Which I didn't know about) I made it to the weigh-in site at about 7:55. They had several tables set up and I couldn't find the person I was suppose to check in with. I finally found the right Check-in station and they wouldn't let me weigh in because it was 8:02pm. Now this was a little crazy. I mean this was a big meet..Texas State Meet. They saw that I was there before 8:00, just not at the right table. And they made me come back early the next morning to weigh-in. On top of that they make you check everthing. Now due to a back injury I was only bench pressing at this meet. I can see wanting to check my Bench Shirt, Singlet, Wrist Wraps, Belt. They wanted to check my socks, underwear, shoes, everythign. Now what does my socks and underwear have to do with Bench Press? If there's some new super underwear out there that makes you bench more please let me know. If you like a little more "Fun" atmosphere and don't care too much about the drug testing lift USPF. What State do you compete in?
    Last edited by power65; 03-24-2005 at 12:11 PM.

I'm in N.C. Thanks for the info. I have been to a USAPL meet to help out some other guys that I train with and I talked to a guy that had to remove his boxer shorts so he could bench. I thought that was a bit extreme. In fact, your story is one of many that I have heard about that federation. I have not always been drug free and when I was using I lifted in non-tested meets. Now I too would like to lift on a level playing field. I think I will try some meets in each organization to see for myself. But I suppose I had better read and re-read the USAPL rule book before I try that one out.

Yhea, I think you might want to check out their rules. I was really surprised at just how strict they are about taking anything, even over the courter stuff. I've been competing 100% or gear and the like for about 7 years now, but there is some stuff that I like to use that the USAPL looks down upon or has even banned. For example, if you have more than 200mg. of caffeine in your system you will fail their test. Now you and I know that 200mg of caffeine really isn't that much. If it only takes 200mg of that to make you that much stronger than I'll start taking 500 mg. when I train. There are several supplements out there that I like but can't use if I'm getting ready for a USAPL meet. Nitrix is an example. You can't even take stuff liket that. Prety much anything that helps you train harder is out of the question. Give USPF a try....and if you still want something a little more strict give USAPL a try. Good Luck.

What the heck to boxer shorts have to do with bench pressing??????

Lurch is offline New Member
    APF... but thought about doing a IPA meet back east just to compete with a different variety of lifters. I will only compete in Feds that use Mono's since thats what we have in our gym and thats what I like.

I see that there are several federations out there using the Mono's for the squat event. I know why they are doing this because it is safer, but the only problem with the Mono's is that they really need to have a seperated "Record" for squats performed using the Mono rack as opposed to the traditional type of squat rack that have always been used at meets. Reason is this: You can squat better and with better technique using a Mono because you can set your feet, width, etc. before the weight is actually placed on your back. All you do with the Mono is get under the bar, the hooks swing away, you squat, and then the hooks are swung back under the bar. This is not the case with the traditional type of squat rack. With the traditional rack you have to remove the bar from the back, back out of the rack, set up, squat, and then replace the weight. Whole other things....it's almost too different lifts when it comes to difficulty. I'm not putting down the Mono by NO MEANS. I've competed with both. But using the traditional rack does give you much more room for error because setting up is such a huge part of the squat. I think the same goes for bench press shirts. I think there needs to be records for Single Ply Gear, and Double Ply Gear. Everyone knows that you can lift more in a Double Denium Shirt than you can in a single ply polyester. I don't think it's fair with all of these lifters breaking records of the past set by guys in first generation single ply bench shirts using Double Ply gear. It's king of like hitting a baseball with a corked bat. I know that may piss alot of people off but it's true. You can keep using your double ply gear that's fine. But I have broke records before using Double Ply bench press shirts and it just didn't seem as great knowing I was breaking a record that was set by a lifter that had set that record in a single ply shirt. Does everyone understand what I mean. Our sport will never be taken seriously as an olympic sport unless we start making these changes.

Times change and so does gear. If the lifters from the past had access to Double Ply then I'm sure they would wear it. On a side note though, I know many lifters who prefer poly to denim and lift more using single poly. I believe with the tech. advancements we are making to single layer gear is far better then the single ply gear of the past. Therefore in theory if someone broke a record that was 10 years old, it still would not be fair because their gear was better...even though it was still single ply. As for the Mono... its just another advancement and an opinon to use. I could go on and on about it but, its nothing anyone doesn't already know. As far as getting Power Lifting into the Olympics... I don't see it happening in our life time. The Olympics already has weight lifting, why would they add more. And if they do it would most likely be without any gear, save wraps and a belt.

I agree with power65. I am not against gear as I have used the best out there. (Inzer Leviathan, open back double denim, etc.) It's just that lifters are now picking up the phone and buying bigger lifts. Lifters are breaking records of guys that were a lot stronger than them and that's just not right. If you read the message boards you see most guys asking how to get more out of the gear they are wearing rather than how to get stronger. I like gear but I still think the strongest man should win, not a guy that benches 550 in a shirt but can't put up 300 without it.

I wish i could pick up the phone and buy bigger lifts... it would make things a lot easier, but thats not how it works. Gear will not lift the weight for you...no matter how great the gear is. Lifters today train to make their gear work better for them. I actually find it harder to lift in gear compared to lifting raw...especially Bench Shirts. There are so many factors that can cost you a lift if not done perfectly. The worst is when the gear is too small and you have to up the weight to get it to touch or get depth... then you can't even move the weight back up because its to heavy. This always happens to the people who believe "the tighter the gear the more you can lift." As far as records go... they are meant to be broken and those whos records have been broken understand that.

500lb+ B.S.Crew is offline New Member

Cool Usapl & Nasa

I have done ONe PL meet and it was Drug Tested and it was in USAPL where i got first place with a 534 BP.I also got tested there!!Im getting ready for another one in NASA and should have a Record there!The best about these 2 is they only allow single ply Bench shirts(NO Double ply or triple) and they actually test u!I wanted to be in one that tests u since i have never taken illegal gear not that there is anything wrong with that.But i have thought about taking juice and if i did i would NOT enter a contest that is Drug tested!!Seems to me that would be Cheating the ones who have NOT taken illegal gear!That is my opinion anyways! If u agree rep me please!!Thanks

I Agree with you 100%. I too compete in drug tested meets, but nothing pisses me off more than someone trying to enter a meet all juiced up knowing that 99% of everyone else they are lifting against in drug free. If guys want to use juice that's fine. That is their decision. I truely believe that everyone is free to train how ever they want. I'm not here to put down those who juice. IT'S NOT MY PLACE. But if you are going to juice please lift on a level playing field. Enter the meets that are for YOU. Don't try to go around beating "Clean Lifters." What kind of person would do that anyway??? Anyone who does that is just plain pussy to me. You mean to tell me that even though you use juice you have to enter "Clean" competitions to win??? If winning is that important to you you're are a person of the worst kind. I was at USAPL meet where I knew a guy that was so nervous he was going to get tested. I told him just how sad and how much of a puss I thought he was. Here we all are busting our asses lifting clean and this guy comes rolling in trying to get over on us with some "Hidden Advantage." Don't get me wrong...most "Clean Meets" are just that...Clean. But every now and then some prick rolls in trying to get over on everyone.
    Last edited by power65; 04-06-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    wnpf is a good drug free orgaization, they use monolifts, double ply equipment is ok , and it is drug tested. meets are run smooth, rules with technique are strict, but other rules ,those little nit picking dumb rules usualy don't apply. ALOT bette that usapl and all there nonsense!

Thread Information