clampitt is offline Junior Member

standing behind-the-neck press

on the B-T-N press,....i am confused on how far you should bring the bar down. I have always touched my traps with the bar and then up.....AND now i see people in my gym that go to base of their head and then up.

Although, i have been seeing fantastic results with this......could it lead to an injury?/.

From what I've heard, the further you take it down the more of a chance you have to get injured.

p0werlift is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YounG_SluG11
    From what I've heard, the further you take it down the more of a chance you have to get injured.
    definitly. let me explain some anatomy to you.........

every type of pressing movement above your head, taxes your ball/socket joint in your shoulder area. different movements tax it in a different way. the WORST movement you could do for your shoulders(thinking of safety first), is the behind the neck press's.ofcourse some people prefer these over regular presses, just because they work the delts in a different way than most other pressin excercises. these will grind your joints up into mush and will most likely not get any better the heavier you go. however, if your still set on doing this excercise, dont let the bar come down lower than your forehead.

clampitt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0werlift
    however, if your still set on doing this excercise, dont let the bar come down lower than your forehead.

not lower than your forehead??.

well...that seems like barely any range of motion at all.

power65 is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T TAKE THE BAR DOWN TO YOUR TRAPS!!!!! Yes you are about one workout away from an injury. Anything behind your head like that is bad. That includes Lat-Pulldowns too. When doing standing presses only bring the bar to ear level if not a few inches higher than that. I have blown/torn both of my rotator cuffs in my shoulders and I have NO DOUBT that it came from years of behind the neck presses and pulldowns. How was I to know then? Back in the day that's the way I was tought. It wasn't until I started studying biomechanics working on my first degree in human performance that I learned the proper positions of the body and range of motions during exercise. Bringing the bar any lower than ear level puts a full stretch on your rotator cuff of the shoulder. I once could press close to 300# behind my head....NO MORE> I don't even do them at all anymore. Wish I could....or better yet wish someone would have told me years ago before the damage is done. Great Exercise for Strength ....dangerous as hell on the shoulders. Be Careful and good luck.

Thread Information