jgg1221 is offline Member

powerlifting or body building while cutting

ok guys from what i gather on the main differences between powerlifting and body building is the amount of time takin to rest between sets
    essentially size versus strength

my question is, what would be best if your cutting and looking for definition?
    taking long rests between sets, or short ones with highly intense, pumped up work out

i still wanna maintain the size of my muscles too... and i was thinking, maybe one week of having all my workouts doing 1 minute rests between sets... and maybe the next week having 3 minute rests between sets

anythoughts?
    thanks

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg1221
    my question is, what would be best if your cutting and looking for definition?
    taking long rests between sets, or short ones with highly intense, pumped up work out
    Continue to train heavy (6-10RM) with 2-3 minutes of recovery. Training should not differ when cutting, you still need to stress the muscle so they do not atrophy. Let your cardio and diet take care of your excess bodyfat.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg1221
    ok guys from what i gather on the main differences between powerlifting and body building is the amount of time takin to rest between sets
    essentially size versus strength
    True powerlifters and bodybuilders train NOTHING alike. It's a whole different game.

I'd never use powerlifting to cut. I am a powerlifter and I don't even use powerlifting when I cut.

viking_warrior_2k is offline Junior Member
    Is there really a difference? Why do I see some incredibly well built powerlifters who could be bodybuilders and some who look like they're 100lb. overweight, but they are both strong? Burning fat all has to do with diet, right? As long as you're working the muscles properly and feeding the muscles, the body will take care of fat, or maybe I'm too inexperienced to know what I'm talking about.

I'm one of those odd guys who want the best of both worlds. I don't want to look like a freak bodybuilder, but I do want to look well-filled out with a low bf% and be as strong as possible in the gym. I don't see why a guy (or girl) can't do both. Look at Jill Mills (female strength athlete)... She's got a great shape, and she's one of the strongest women in the world. What about the dude (can't spell his name - sounds like poo-jen-owski)) who won the MetRx World's Strongest Man contest the past couple of years? He looked like a pro bodybuilder. I just don't see as much difference in bodybuilding and powerlifting as some. Thus, I don't see the great difference in cutting while powerlifting vs. bodybuilding. It really all depends on what you're wanting to accomplish.

I agree that bodybuilding and powerlifting are two totally different animals, but if you approach both correctly, you can be both. You may not be the world's best at it, but if you're like me, you just want to be the best that YOU can be. Hey, you burn calories in your sleep - whether or not you're a bodybuilder or powerlifter!

viking_warrior_2k is offline Junior Member
    As far as cutting, hey, you burn calories whether you're performing 20 reps or 2 reps. Experiment with your own body and see what happens. Some cut-up quicker than others.

Quote Originally Posted by viking_warrior_2k
    As far as cutting, hey, you burn calories whether you're performing 20 reps or 2 reps. Experiment with your own body and see what happens. Some cut-up quicker than others.
    thus is true

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    I cut 70 lbs while powerlifting.

Diet is the key.

Aristides is offline New Member
    the main benifit I find when doing higher reps and less rest is an increased heart rate throughout and it burns more calories. think thats one of the main reasons for working this way. wont gain much strength but should maintain mass well enough.

Thread Information