BigMatt is offline Junior Member

Strong men/Powerlifing Routine for BodyBuidling.

I just recently saw a Video of Bill Kaz...
    It got me thinking,i think i would grow more with a powerlifing Dead/Bench/Squat/leg press routine...

No curl,no fancy thing,no isolation...

If i would concentrate on getting stronger with eating alot.
    I mean all these Strong men are huge...
    You can see a difference in body composition between Bodybuilder and Strongmen/Powerlifter,they tend to have greater thickness/Density than BB.

Do anyone of you got a routine for Adding Size? Mind you im natural...
    My goal is too add size.

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    Having worked like a BB for a long time, I recently began studying the westside BB techniques and I am going to try exactly what you say, get bigger through powerlifting. Some of these Westside guys are huge, and don't do all the fancy isolation and such. So I guess I'm saying I'm buying into it-can't hurt, I always liked being strong, I'll just see how strong I can get.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Westside does work to gain size. Best natural gains I ever made was with a westside routine and I was even cutting right then. Bench I gained 25ibs, squat something like 60ibs(no shit) and dead 45ibs in 9 weeks. I gained alot of overall thickness to. I followed the 9 week basic routine that can be found on
    http://www.elitefts.com/elite-articles/home/default.asp

graeme87 is offline Member
    Interesting, I’ve never done any powerlifting before so I’m not really in any position to say but how are you’re biceps going to grow if you don’t do any curls? And I don’t think you’re going to get the best growth out of any of you’re other muscles either. OK compound movements are the best for adding mass so maybe you could get some gains on chest, shoulders and legs but what about you’re upper back? Deadlifts are not going to hit you’re lats well. And as I said biceps are doing totally neglected.
    Also the rep range powerlifters work with are not optimum for gaining mass. Reps 1-5 are best for strength 6-12 for mass and 25-40 for endurance. Although with that being said there are many powerlifters and strong men that area a shit load bigger than me so maybe it does work.
    Any more experienced guys got an opinion on this?

do some reading about westside

in westside there is plenty of work done in the 8-15 rep range for most muscles. Especialy triceps, hams and back.

also biceps grows better for me when I dont work them. I find that most of the time all my biceps need is the heavy back work to grow. Bicep can and will grow without curls. But I usualy include some biceps work when I do westside. Mostly hammer curls to prevent injury(and biceps is a stabilizing muscle in the bench).

Upper back gets hit by deadlifts ALOT, deads is the king of building the traps(wich is almost half of the upper back anyway) and I feel deads in my lats also not to mention alot of lat work is included in westside since lats is a very important muscle when benching(if benching the proper pl way).

chest is the bodypart mostly neglected since doing bench the "proper" way is more of a triceps exercise then chest and quads since there is almost NO direct quad work. The strongest muscles when squatting is hams, lowerback and the ass so westside concentrates on those muscles.

There is a whole lot more to building muscle then staying in a certain reprange.

take a look at coleman or johnny jackson they both began as powerlifter and both seem to have built a solid massive foundation on that. Also to be honest powerlifters are some dense big muther****ers. I bet that if you take your avarage powerlifter and your avarage volume training bodybuilder, put them both on a cutting diet and then they face eachother on stage 9 times out of 10 the powerlifter will blow the volume training bodybuilder away.

BigMatt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Also to be honest powerlifters are some dense big muther****ers. I bet that if you take your avarage powerlifter and your avarage volume training bodybuilder, put them both on a cutting diet and then they face eachother on stage 9 times out of 10 the powerlifter will blow the volume training bodybuilder away.
    totally true...
    Ive seen powerlifters go on a cutting diet for a bb show and totally destroy bodybuilders...

graeme87 is offline Member
    exexcellent info guys. i think im goan do research get into a powerlifting routine in a few weeks.

read all you can about westside it realy changed my whole view on how to train. Even when I dont do a powerlifting routine my bb routines are heavy influenced by what I have learned from wsb.

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Agree with all of your points. Most of your truely massive BB started out in powerlifting or incorporate a lot of powerlifting style lifting in their routines. Basic Fact- YOU CAN'T GET HUGE TRYING TO GET RIPPED ALL THE TIME. That's why most BBs only try to rip-up near contest time. During the offseason these guys look Heavier than most powerlifters. Ever see Coleman in the offseason. The guy looks like an Offensive Lineman. One word of caution to all the Natural Lifters. Westside has some really great programs, but most of their programs are very hard on the "Natural Lifter." The guys at Westside ARE NOT NATURAL and don't claim to be. If you stick to many of the Westside programs for very long and are clean, you really run the risk of over training. So please play close attention to your body for signs of overtraining. Nothing can kill progress quicker than over training.
    Good Luck. And enjoy the Mass of Powerlifitng.

Thread Information