RJstrong is offline Senior Member

R.I.P. Anthony Clark

I just read that one of powerliftings finest passed away this weekend. Anthony Clark an inspiration to anyone who likes to lift heavy. May he rest in peace.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    He will be remembered as a true legend. He was way ahead of his time in this sport. I read that he was only 39.

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Does anyone know the details of his death? I use to train at Anthony's Powerhouse Gym here in Houston several years ago. I left his gym right about the same time he was starting to have problems with his heart about 3-4 years ago. I know at that time he had several operations. Awesome guy!!!!!!!!!! He was always very approachable and was such an inspiration to me as a young lifter. He will be missed greatly in our sport and to all those who knew him.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    wow that is sad, he couldn't have been that old. i doubt he was even near 50yo.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by power65
    Does anyone know the details of his death? I use to train at Anthony's Powerhouse Gym here in Houston several years ago. I left his gym right about the same time he was starting to have problems with his heart about 3-4 years ago. I know at that time he had several operations. Awesome guy!!!!!!!!!! He was always very approachable and was such an inspiration to me as a young lifter. He will be missed greatly in our sport and to all those who knew him.
    I heard it was a massive heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    I heard it was a massive heart attack.
    yeah i double checked and your right.

here is a story by dr. ken leistner about anthony back in his hay day

In 1991, the APF Senior National PLing championships were hosted by the late Jeff Wright and his wife in Pittsburgh. Kathy and I flew in with our Iron Island GM Ralph and his wife Michele and Jeff was gracious enough to send Anthony to the airport to pick us up. Anthony was very pleasant and we spoke of a number of things that day and through the weekend. However, at one point as we were standing at the meet venue, Michele said to Anthony, "I am going to pray for you." Anthony was a Christian and our family and many of our friends are devout Catholics so this would not normally be a strange or unexpected comment in conversation. Anthony said, "Thank you Michele, I appreciate that and I will pray for you too sister." Michele said, "No, I am going to pray for you and hope that you don't die soon. You can hardly breathe and you're red just standing here." In truth, Anthony was wheezing just walking the hallways. When he warmed up in the bench press, blood spurted from his nose and mouth like a fountain, just from exerting himself while having high blood pressure. At a meet in Maryland, I was the head judge and Anthony took 1100+ in the squat, after the lift, my white dress shirt and tie (as head judge, I did it the old fashioned way as was dictated by the rules of the 1960s) were covered with a misty spray of blood. I was literally covered from head to waist and had to immediately shower. His blood pressure was so high that any physical exertion had him bleeding. We talked at length later about reducing his bodyweight by 100 pounds or so but he was intent on setting many more records. It is always unfortunate when anyone young and in a position to serve as a role model for others passes before their time.
    Dr. Ken

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Anthony was only 38.

Thread Information