gspot is offline New Member

Strongman Question

I have a quick question for you guys. What do you guys use to train for the farmers walk, sled drag, and log press? I have my first strongman competition coming up and need to use some of the equipment for training. Any ideas?

weights for competition
    Sled - 600lbs
    Farmers Walk - 280lbs
    Log Press - 240, 260, and 300

power65 is offline Associate Member
    I know you might not want to hear this, but most people train with this very stuff. I use to do Strong Man competitions years ago and I acutally had to build a log type apparatus. They do sell them, but they are pretty expensive. I also had to build a pulling sled. Now the problem with a lot of that stuff is that you have to have somewhere to keep it and train with it. Most gyms aren't going to allow you to keep this stuff there. Luckily I found a guy who had a shop out in the country that allowed me to train there in the field behind his place. But if you are limited to what you can train with, the most important piece of equipment you can have is the "Log". Doing regular military press is good, but it is different than doing the log lift because your hands are turned at a different angle. Doing the log lift hits both your shoulders and your triceps more than normal type of military press. For the farmers walk I rigged up some old welding bottles that I use to carry around. Wish I could be of more help, but this is what I use to do.

Strongman Comp

Thank you for the reply. As far as space I have a university football field that is close by. I'm sure the coach will let me use it. However, for the apparatuses that is a different story. I think I will take your advice and get a log or telephone pole and make my own log press. The welding bottles are an awesome idea as well. This will at least gets me started. Anyways, thanks for the help!

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    When is your comp?

Competition

July 30.

Thread Information