Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RJstrong is offline Senior Member

8 weeks out to APF senior nationals

I will be competing in the 242's... i hope to hit a 900 squat, 600 bench, and 725 deadlift... that will break me into a 2200+ total which is really my ultimate goal... if anyone is going to be in the Detroit area the weekend of June 4-5 you should come check it out... it will definitely get you hyped up to lift heavy... i will be posting my progress here as the weeks go by... wish me luck!

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Those are some big #'s bro!

Good luck in the Sr. Nat's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Those are some big #'s bro!

Good luck in the Sr. Nat's!!
    I appreciate it!!! I will have my work cut out for me... my best total so far is a 2096 squat 804, bench 567, dead 722... but i have about 7 more weeks of training... so i feel like my goal is reachable.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    You certainly sounds to have the motivation, and dedication you need! More power to ya!

A little progress report... Mon. was my squat day... first day back in gear... right now i am using an inzer hardcore squat suit... but have a titan custom boss ordered and heading my way soon... anyway i worked up to a single at 725... with my squat suit straps down... it felt easy... then my final single, straps down at 800... felt easier then the 725... walked away feeling really good... it was for sure my best attempt at 800 ever! tues. and wed. are off days... back in the gym thur. which will be the big bench day!

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Good luck my man. I am from MI and used to powerlift. Perhaps I'll look you up in the Big D........JC

Quote Originally Posted by jc3
    Good luck my man. I am from MI and used to powerlift. Perhaps I'll look you up in the Big D........JC
    Thanks man!!! while we are on that topic let me post the meet info. it will be held at the Doubletree Hotel Detroit Metropolitan Airport... 31500 Wick Road... Romulus, Michigan 48174... schedule is as follows Sat. June 4: a.m. all women, p.m. men 114-198; Sun. June 5: a.m. 220-242, p.m. 275-SHW if more than 100 lifters enter the main schedule change will be all women and men up to 165 will lift on Fri. June 3. (we will see, i have a feeling that there will not be more than 100 lifters)

RJ's Progress Report

Chest: today I hit floor presses, turned out to be a good workout. i worked up to 4 sets of singles with 585lbs.
    here is a quick run thru:
    bar 2 sets 20 reps
    135 2 sets 15 reps
    225 2 sets 3 reps
    315 2 sets 3 reps
    405 1 set 3 reps
    495 1 set 3 reps
    585 4 sets 1 rep
    now it's time to eat and rest deadlifts tomorrow!!!

Deadlifts

the past 2 weeks my deadlift has been feeling a bit slow... i may have to take a deadlift workout off here soon. today we did deads with light chains... the light chains we use total 50lbs., here is a run thru:
    135 2 sets of 10
    225 2 sets of 10
    315 1 set 3 w/chains
    405 1 set 3 w/chains
    495 1 set 3 w/chains
    585 1 set 3 w/chains
    675 2 sets 1 w/chains
    Last edited by RJstrong; 04-15-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Lurch is offline New Member
    I should be in Detroit for Nationals to wrap etc... My team is going to be there in force so it should be fun. PM me with your name so I will know who you are when you lift. A 2200+ total would be sweet, if you do total that much will you be going to worlds? I sure hope so.

Lurch is offline New Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't 2099 a qualifier for worlds?

Officially 7 weeks out to APF Sr. Nationals

/> bar 2 sets 10
    145 2 sets 10
    235 2 sets 3
    325 1 set 3
    415 1 set 3
    595 1 set 3
    775 1 set 1
    it felt pretty good considering that is the most weight i have ever had on my back... i brought it down controlled, hit parallel and drove it home! i am psyched for this meet. next order of business is 900...
    gotta say we use a squat bar that weighs 55lbs. (so all those numbers are straight plates, no nickels or dimes around here) its longer so it can handle more plates and it is rated for 1000lbs. +
    the best part of my final attempt is the whole gym stopped to see it. man it looked sick 9 plates on each side, but my cheering crowd hyped me up and i stuck it!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 04-19-2005 at 06:50 AM.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    - GAL -->

Quote Originally Posted by Power76

Cool. Good luck at Seniors. Two of my partners will be there lifting in the 220's. I wish I could make it but money is tight this year. Keep posting your progress!

Bench press

/> bar 4 sets 10
    135 4 sets 10
    225 3 sets 3
    315 1 set 3
    405 1 set 3
    495 1 set 3
    here is where i started using 3 boards:
    585 2 sets 3
    635 2 sets 3
    650 1 set 1
    normally i would do a few sets of singles at my maximum weight, but had to listen to the body and call it, like i said i will being paying for monday for a couple more days... overall i felt good though, i felt explosive on all sets especially the board presses. time is screaming by, the meet will be here before i know it! at this point ibuprofen, and ice are my two best friends.

Great thread. Always enjoy reading your posts. Haven't been into the powerlifting scene in awhile,myself. Your regimen just gave me flashbacks of hell. I wish you the best man. Keep us updated. Lift hard....

Quote Originally Posted by goodtobeapimp
    Great thread. Always enjoy reading your posts. Haven't been into the powerlifting scene in awhile,myself. Your regimen just gave me flashbacks of hell. I wish you the best man. Keep us updated. Lift hard....
    Thanx bro, i really appreciate that! flashbacks from hell... now that's funny! i am at the halfway point and i have to admit that the training is at the grueling point... but i wouldn't trade it for the world. i will definitely keep the progress reports coming.

Deadlifts

Nothing fancy here today, definitely felt the need to give the lower back a chance to recuperate since I have pulled heavy the past 6 weeks. Today I decided on doing some speed work at about 55% of my max DL... here is a quick run thru:
    135 3 sets 10
    from here on out all I am thinking is perfect form & pull a fast as possible:
    225 2 sets 10
    315 1 set 10
    this is the real work set:
    405 4 sets 3
    that is it, felt good, and my lower back will thank me later. I even cut out hyper extensions, I normally follow deads with some variation of hypers. I did work abs, i am actually pretty proud of myself that is 8 weeks in a row of doing abs... that has got to be some kind of record seriously though, it has been helping, my core feels strong as ever!

Close grip bench day

Today I incorporated light chains (approx 55 lbs. total) and worked speed on close grip bench... once again felt the need ease off the heavy weight and work on speed. decided to work in the 50 - 60% range for triples, here is a run thru:
    bar 2 sets 20
    135 2 sets 20
    225 1 set 20
    strarted chains here:
    225 1 set 3
    working set:
    315 4 sets of 3
    finished with some bicep work hammers and reverse grip curls.

been feeling a slight throbbing in the elbows (comes with the territory) but other than that I felt good, felt like my speed was good. once the heavy squats start, the bench is always affected a little bit... nothing a little ice can't fix though! Now its time to rest up for squats on Mon.

Officially 6 weeks out to APF Sr. Nationals

The countdown is in full effect. At the midway point and feel really good. A couple of speed days helped the body recover nicely. Today was squat day and the mission here was to run thru similar to a meet warm-up and then hit the opener while two people watched for proper depth. here we go:
    bar 2 sets 10
    145 2 sets of 10
    235 2 sets of 6
    325 1 set of 3
    415 1 set of 3
    505 1 set of 3
    put the belt on:
    595 1 set of 3
    here goes straps up, wrapped knees, belt for opening attempt:
    805 for a single, SMOKE SHOW!
    felt good, partners said depth was great, it felt like a long ways down there this worked out perfect, opener was effortless (just the way it should be!) and it felt like an easy day, which my body needs. I think pulling back on the reigns for a few days will pay off huge for the next couple of weeks. it's not always easy to keep the ego in check but at this point it's about training smart not just training hard!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 05-01-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Looking good man. Keep the updates coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Looking good man. Keep the updates coming.
    thanx bro... i appreciate all the support and kind words. in doing this i hope others can see what it takes to train for a big meet, i would love to inspire others to train with passion and to leave it all in the gym, h*ll hopefully inspire someone to try a powerlifting meet... thier really is nothing like it! this does put a little more added pressure on me, since i will ultimately have to let everyone know at this forum how i place, but i think its worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    The countdown is in full effect. At the midway point and feel really good. A couple of speed days helped the body recover nicely. Today was squat day and the mission here was to run thru similar to a meet warm-up and then hit the opener while two people watched for proper depth. here we go:
    bar 2 sets 10
    145 2 sets of 10
    235 2 sets of 6
    325 1 set of 3
    415 1 set of 3
    505 1 set of 3
    put the belt on:
    595 1 set of 3
    here goes straps up, wrapped knees, belt for opening attempt:
    805 for a single, SMOKE SHOW!
    felt good, partners said depth was great, i felt like a long ways down there this worked out perfect, opener was effortless (just the way it should be!) and it felt like an easy day, which my body needs. I think pulling back on the reigns for a few days will pay off huge for the next couple of weeks. it's not always easy to keep the ego in check but at this point it's about training smart not just training hard!
    Looks like you have a MONSTER total in your future! You are exactly right about training smart at this point. As Louie Simmons has said, "You can't get much stronger just a few weeks out from a meet but you sure as hell can get weaker!"

Looks like you have a MONSTER total in your future! You are exactly right about training smart at this point. As Louie Simmons has said, "You can't get much stronger just a few weeks out from a meet but you sure as hell can get weaker!"
    I am feeling good so my goal of breaking 2200 is within reach... but their is still enough time to peak early so a good pace is essential... You gotta love Louie Simmons... he's the man!

bench press

Today was an interesting workout... let me start by saying I had two bench shirts one too big and one that seems a bit too small. 4 weeks ago I hit a 580 with my "big" shirt, I then put on my "small" shirt and I couldn't get 650 or 705 to touch. 650 came down to about a 3 board press and that was it, I blew the weight up like it was nothing. 705 came down to about an inch off my chest and I was able to muscle it up... I was a bit suprised how the weight felt even though it didn't touch it felt managable. Well I ordered a new shirt (radical inzer double denim same as the rest) measured up so it would be a bit bigger than my "small" shirt, it came in yesterday and it's smaller than my "small" shirt... man I'm bummed. so today I figured I would try the small shirt again. I got 650 down closer, to about 2 boards... then almost got 705 to touch (partner said about a centimeter) d*mn does it get any closer than that! so hopefully I will get my shirt situation solved. I will have to order another one... ideallly I would like to use my big one for my opener, order a new shirt, use it for my 2nd attempt and then break out the small shirt for a balls out 3rd attempt! anyway here is a quick run thru:
    bar 2 sets 20
    135 2 sets 20
    225 2 sets 3
    315 1 set 3
    405 1 set 3
    495 1 set 1
    put on "small" shirt
    585 1 set 1 "just for sh*ts and giggles... came down to about 3 boards"
    650 1 set 1 "gettin' closer"
    705 1 set 1 "close but no cigar"
    the bench shirt... the hardest piece of gear to get used to!

Deadlifts

I am finishing this week on a lighter note. Just trying to get the lower back (among other things) recuperated. So far so good. here is a look:
    135 2 sets 10
    225 2 sets 6
    315 1 set 3
    405 1 set 3
    495 6 sets 1
    Basically worked on good starts, strict form, and speed. The back is feeling much better now so I'm going to pull some heavy singles next week.

Tri's & Bi's

Today I did a bodybuilding style arm workout. No close grips today. I think I will do maybe one or two more arm workouts, then it will just be 3 days a week: squat, bench, deadlift until the contest. Today's gameplan was to get a good pump, do everything with the back supported and basically do moderate weight high reps. (this basically feels like a rehab workout to get the kinks out of the elbows from heavy pressing)
    here goes:
    tricep rope pushdowns 4 sets 15 (on an incline bench)
    one armed pushdowns 4 sets 15 (on an incline bench)
    machine curls 4 sets 15
    dumbell curls 4 sets 10 (on an incline bench)
    preacher curls right into reverse curls 4 sets 20 (used the fatty bar and light weight)
    arms were pumped its been a while since I had that feeling, it felt pretty good! Overall I think my body has healed nicely, back to heavy lifting on everything next week! OFFICIALLY 5 WEEKS OUT!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 04-30-2005 at 08:59 PM.

Squat day

Today went well. The goal today was simple... warm up similar to a meet then hit my second attempt* with a couple of spotters watching depth. Here is a look:
    bar 2 sets 10
    145 2 sets 10
    235 2 sets 5
    325 1 set 3
    415 1 set 3
    505 1 set 1
    put on belt for:
    595 1 set 1
    straps up, wrapped knees, and belt here on out:
    735 1 set 1
    *850 1 set of 1
    feeling good... definitely my best attempt at 850 ever... depth was great, I really felt like I took it down deep! Good confidence builder today. At my last meet the APF Southern States they called me on my depth @850 which was my third attempt that day. So to hit it so solid was a great feeling.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Training is looking good man.

I second that. I think it's great that you are posting your training. I feel that it could be very useful for newbies that come on here. Maybe I'll jump on board and start posting mine. Posting workouts is a great way to learn from each other.

I second that. I think it's great that you are posting your training. I feel that it could be very useful for newbies that come on here. Maybe I'll jump on board and start posting mine. Posting workouts is a great way to learn from each other.
    Agreed... from newbies to old pro's, sharing work being done in the trenches can help all of us. In powerlifting as soon as you stop searching for knowledge you just gave your competitor the edge!

bench press

Well I got my new bench shirt in... I think this is the one! If all goes well I may get a bigger bench than I intitially hoped for. But before I get too far ahead of myself let me give you a run thru:
    bar 2 sets 20
    135 2 sets 10
    225 2 sets 3
    315 1 set 3
    405 1 set 3
    495 1 set 1
    I put on my big bench shirt (you guys here that know about shirts would probably laugh... it really doesn't do much for me)
    possible opener:
    550 1 set 1 (smoke show)
    I put on my new shirt for my next attempts:
    600 1 set 1 (came down to about 2 board press... easy press from there)
    650 1 set 1 (almost got it to touch... another easy press from there)
    700 1 set 1 (strange... my partner said 650 came closer... but almost touched and managed to muscle it up)
    Man I'm hyped up. I think in a couple more workouts this new shirt should be broken in perfect. If I can get into the 650- 700 range... look out! I really feel that 650 is right around the corner.

Deadlifts

/> 135 2 sets 5
    225 2 sets 3
    315 1 set 3
    405 1 set 3
    495 1 set 1
    585 1 set 1
    705 1 set 1 (this will be my opener)

LIL' DADDY is offline New Member
    RJ - Good luck bro, there is going to be some serious competition there. Just to give you a heads up.

Lurch - Where do you train? As you said your crew will be there in full force. I am assuming you are a part of DBB.

LIL' DADDY is offline New Member
    RJ - PM me your name as I will watch for you as well. I will be there to root on my boyz.

No kidding. I saw the list for the 242's and there was 25 lifters in that class!

Quote Originally Posted by LIL' DADDY
    RJ - Good luck bro, there is going to be some serious competition there. Just to give you a heads up.

Lurch - Where do you train? As you said your crew will be there in full force. I am assuming you are a part of DBB.
    I think any time you enter into a national event you just have to expect the competition to be fierce! The beauty of powerlifting, as far as I see it, is it's really a competition against yourself. No matter what meet I do it's all about outdoing the number's I put up previously... and in my book if I accomplish that I'm victorious. The truth of the matter is that I would rather compete against 25 people than 2... I want the top 3 places to be earned... as they say I will let my number's do the talking... and may the best man win!

bi's & tri's

Today was a light day. Another day just to get a little pump... No presses today just a rehab workout as the elbows need some recuperation. Here is a look:

decline skull crushers 5 sets: 4 sets 20, 5th set drop set 60 total reps 20/20/20
    tricep machine extensions 4 sets 20
    bicep machine curls 4 sets 20/20/15/15
    preacher curl 6 sets 12-15 (3 sets regular/3 sets reverse used a fatty bar)

Easy workout today, kept the weight light. Nothing to it just a quick pump. It is more about recovery at this point than anything! Had an excellent week of training I think my goal of hitting 2200 is reachable, just have to keep training hard and smart!

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    I think any time you enter into a national event you just have to expect the competition to be fierce! The beauty of powerlifting, as far as I see it, is it's really a competition against yourself. No matter what meet I do it's all about outdoing the number's I put up previously... and in my book if I accomplish that I'm victorious. The truth of the matter is that I would rather compete against 25 people than 2... I want the top 3 places to be earned... as they say I will let my number's do the talking... and may the best man win!

Totally agree with all that. I've always felt this way. It's one of the few sports you can actually lose but still win,and take home more motivation to better yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information