power65 is offline Associate Member

Controversy About Records

OK. I know this is going to rattle a few chains, I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. So let me say that upfront. But I would like to know what you all think about this point I'm about to make. I've been powerlifting now and competing for about 15 yrs. Over this time it just seems like our sport has taking a turn for the worst when it comes to gear these days. Yes people are putting up much bigger numbers, but are they actually that much stronger? It saddens me to see all of the records of the past being shattered by all this "new gear". I know it's all just part of the game, but come on....this is getting a little ridiculous. I think there needs to be seperate records depending on what kind of gear you wear. Since it does make that big of a difference. Example. Bench Press needs to have two sets of records; one for double ply shirts and one for single ply shirts. What do you guys think? Be honest.....and please leave all egos at home. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    Last edited by power65; 06-03-2005 at 07:25 AM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by power65
    OK. I know this is going to rattle a few chains, I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. So let me say that upfront. But I would like to know what you all think about this point I'm about to make. I've been powerlifting now and competing for about 15 yrs. Over this time it just seems like our sport has taking a turn for the worst when it comes to gear these days. Yes people are putting up much bigger numbers, but are they actually that much stronger. It saddens me to see all of the records of the past being shattered by all this new gear. I know it's all just part of the game, but come on....this is getting a little ridiculous. I think there needs to be seperate records depending on what kind of gear you where. Since it does make that big of a difference. Example. Bench Press needs to have to sets of records; one for double ply shirts and one for single ply shirts. What do you guys think? Be honest.....and please leave all egos at home. WHAT DO YOU THINK.
    that is a great question!!!!!!!!!!! i agree, it has become a JOKE, the highest bench press is nowheavier than the highest deadlift of all time!!! that is just wrong, i used to think that if eveyone went raw, it would be a much better sport, hell even single ply would be better tha these 3 layer canvas records. even single ply is ridiculous now, the material and stiitching is so much better than it was. the titan f6 is giving lifter 100 pounds plus on there bench and it is single ply!!! than you have organiztions(IPA) who alow wide tance quarter squats and pass 1200lb squats that were nowhere near paralel or below. this is why powerlifting won't ever be an olympic sport. to much equipment, to much juice, to many egos. it is out of control, and seperate records are a necessity. people re forgetting the accomplishments of the guys who did not have the advantage of this superman like equipment, . people did not get that much stronger in the last 15 years, evolution doesn't happen that quickly!!! the equiipment evolved not the people.

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    I agree also. A single ply shirt for a since of secerity is one thing. But a shirt adding 100lbs or more to a bench press is ridculous. I think if you truly have enough power to lift the weight you shouldn't need any thing.

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Doc.Sust makes a great point that I have been saying for years. Anyone who thinks that powerlifting will ever become an olympic sport in it's current state is crazy. Or let me say this. If it was to become an olympic sport, you wouldn't be seeing the crazy numbers lifted that you have seen recently. Bench press shirts where originally designed for protective measures because of the stress that pause bench pressing puts on the front delts and the AC Joint of the shoulder. If a shirt is giving a lifter 100+ pounds thats crazy. I don't see that as progress. The sad thing is.....in order for "Us" to be competitive, we too have to wear this gear or you can kiss a trophy or even placing good bye. 700 & 800+ bench presses are become a common thing. It's hardly even news anymore. It's almost to the point where it's not even a bench press anymore, but more of a lockout. Whatever you can press from about 4 inches off the chest is now becoming what people are calling their "BenchPress". I remember the days when a guy would be proud and just crazy excited about a 500 lb. bench. Of course that was in a Inzer Blast Shirt. And honestly, that was a hell of a lift considering the shirt was only giving you about 30 lbs. Don't even get me started about these double denums and all these open back shirts. Where's the pride in that knowing that most of the work is being done by the shirt. I know I know....it's still heavy as shit and takes a lot to lift the big bench. But come on. If someone asked one of these "Super Benchers" that wear this supper gear to lay under the bench and put up a bench the first thing they would have to do is run out to the car and grab their shirt. I guess I'm just old school, and I'm only 30yrs. old. I'm just saying.....I wish it was more of a level playing field. And I'm not impressed by guys blowing up huge numbers and shattering all these records with this new "Super Gear." Sorry if I stepped on some toes here, but it's just the truth. Same goes with all of these big squat numbers being put up in these canvas suits. When Fred Hatfield first squated 1000+ pounds at a bodywt. of about 250 in a 1st generation squat suit that was impressive. Or Ed Coan squating 1000+ in the same simple gear as a 242 class lifter Major Impressive. I'm not impressed by some guy that weighs in at 300lbs squating 1200 no where near parrallel in a Canvas Squat suit. Hell lifters don't even have to walk out of the rack and set up anymore because of the Monolift. Walking out and setting up use to be a major part of the lift. That was hard as hell. Monolift is doing to squats what all these super bench shirts are doing to the bench press. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Just stating my opinion which is what this forum is for.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    I don't know the single ply stuff is getting pretty crazy too. We are starting to see 800+benches in single ply shirts. But I do agree that the records should be separated somehow. I would like to see powerlifting go back to just a belt and wraps but that will never happen.
    Last edited by Power76; 06-03-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    I don't know the single ply stuff is getting pretty crazy too. We are starting to see 800+benches in single ply shirts. But I do agree that the records should be separated somehow. I would like to see powerlifting go back to just a belt and wraps but that will never happen.
    single ply is becoming outof control. titan f6 and fury single ply are giving a few guys who lift in the wabdl some big numbers. steve wong and matt lamaraque have been posting BIG numbers. lamaraque is 220 and has done a 770lb press and wong hit 832lbs in a single ply titan.i agree with everything Power 65 said, but i am partial to the monolift, i think it promotes safety, and safety should always be first, yes it take away from walking out, but it saves lifters from having any of those crazy colateral ligament tears and colapseing to the floor and almost kiliing yourself while trying to walk around with HUGE weights on your back. that is an inovation for the better. what i have done recently, to beat using the gear all the time is i started doing raw meets. just a belt and nothing else, it is a whole different game, and it is fun. training beats the balls out of you especially with anything over 80% of your max but it is the most even playing field when at a meet. nobody has an advantage.

Thread Information