Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"

how do you drop weight pre contest.

how do you make weight for a contest? any sugestions? i usually do an atkins like diet, but i am stuck at 208lbs trying to get to 198 by september 10th. cardio?how many minutes? etc etc......

jeremyhestercctx is offline New Member

Smile

HAHA yeaa in HS pwr liftn' we used to do like jump ropes in the showers (not showers on us) with like layers of clothing and trash bags and crazy stuff and down water pills and take dip just to lose spit weight. lol then after weigh in drown in Pedialite haha. we were dumb kids. but it was like a meet every week so yea this probably wouldn't pertain to u. lol u should be able to drop 10 by sept. most def. think about nutri. and cardio. make a plan and stick to it. no cheat days. haha.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    do some cardio about 30-45 minutes 4 times a week, good diet,training,etc should get the 10 off

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    do some cardio about 30-45 minutes 4 times a week, good diet,training,etc should get the 10 off
    god i hate cardio!!!! cardio

power65 is offline Associate Member
    This is tough. About one week out from the meet I would go on a 90% protein diet and drink tons of water. I mean like 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. On about the 3-4th day your body will just naturally start dumping water. Honestly you will be peeing about every 30 minutes. I once dropped 11 pounds in 7 days doing this. I ate nothing but tuna fish and drank close to 2 gallons of water a day for that week. My body went nuts, dropped 11 pounds. Only problem w/ doing this is the day of the meet I fealt like shit. I just didn't have as much power as I normally do.

Try the slow weight loss approach. If you have until September than that gives you 4 weeks to drop 10 pounds....that's two pounds a week. If you never do cardio then it should shock your body a little and make it easier to lose the weight. I would do cardio 3-4 times a week for 40 min. Besure to keep your heartrate up. Keep your protein levels high, but try to cut out all junk foods. Replace what ever you normally drink w/ water. Only drink water. If this hasen't worked up to one week out from competition, try what I did in the first paragraph.

Honestly though, I quit trying to make weight all of the time. I just got tired of it because I fealt that I always seemed to lose strength. I mean, if your numbers are what they are when you train at a certian bodywt. It's really hard to expect those numbers to be the same when you're lighter. At least thats how it is for me. Of course I stay pretty lean all year, so if I do drop weight I normally lose some good wt. too. And remember, you may not always be a 198er forever. As you know you gain weight thru training because of the muscle mass you're building. Maybe you're now in the 220 class just because you've gained that much muscle? I know in HS I was always a 198er and now I'm a very lean 242er. Just something to think about.
    Last edited by power65; 08-03-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by power65
    This is tough. About one week out from the meet I would go on a 90% protein diet and drink tons of water. I mean like 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. On about the 3-4th day your body will just naturally start dumping water. Honestly you will be peeing about every 30 minutes. I once dropped 11 pounds in 7 days doing this. I ate nothing but tuna fish and drank close to 2 gallons of water a day for that week. My body went nuts, dropped 11 pounds. Only problem w/ doing this is the day of the meet I fealt like shit. I just didn't have as much power as I normally do.

Try the slow weight loss approach. If you have until September than that gives you 4 weeks to drop 10 pounds....that's two pounds a week. If you never do cardio then it should shock your body a little and make it easier to lose the weight. I would do cardio 3-4 times a week for 40 min. Besure to keep your heartrate up. Keep your protein levels high, but try to cut out all junk foods. Replace what ever you normally drink w/ water. Only drink water. If this hasen't worked up to one week out from competition, try what I did in the first paragraph.

Honestly though, I quit trying to make weight all of the time. I just got tired of it because I fealt that I always seemed to lose strength. I mean, if your numbers are what they are when you train at a certian bodywt. It's really hard to expect those numbers to be the same when you're lighter. At least thats how it is for me. Of course I stay pretty lean all year, so if I do drop weight I normally lose some good wt. too. And remember, you may not always be a 198er forever. As you know you gain weight thru training because of the muscle mass you're building. Maybe you're now in the 220 class just because you've gained that much muscle? I know in HS I was always a 198er and now I'm a very lean 242er. Just something to think about.
    i hear you. a year ago i would drop to 181, now i couldn't if i wanted to. u r right maybe i am a good 220, i started to lose strength in my press now that i am droping weight.it sux!!! i hate making weight thanks for the advice. i already am doing about 90% protein, but not really enough water. i don't love water, but i know it will help.

Lurch is offline New Member
    I dropped 8 pounds the day before my weigh ins by cutting out liquids and carbs. After you weigh in you just carb/hydrate back up and sometimes you actually come in heavier.

stuck at 205lbs! can't drop the weight. all i want is a fw slices of pizza and unlimited beer and i would be ecstatic. i hate dieting.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    You dont want to do a bunch of cardio and ruin your recuperative abilites pre contest. A diet with no high GI carbs and some clen will do the trick.

Thread Information