RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member

Post Your Powerlifting Routine - Need Some Advice

What's up fella's,

I'm making the transition again into Powerlifting but stuck with the same routine.

I was using the Advanced German Volume Training but a 10x5 method with increases of 10% and 10x3 then a decrease by 5% and back to 10x5 then repeat.

Worked well for me but I want to incorperate more of a deadlift into it. This is what I was following

Day 1 - Chest/Back
    Incline Bench - 10x5
    Chin Ups - 10x5
    Weighted Dips - 3x8
    Dumbell Rows - 3x8

Day 2 - Legs
    Squat - 10x5
    Hamstring Curls - 10x5
    Bent-Knee Deads - 2x8
    Hack Squat Calf Raises - 3x8
    Donkey Raises - 3x8
    Standing Machine Raises - 3x8

Day 3- Off

Day 4 - Arms/Shoulders
    Weighted Dips - 10x5
    Incline Hammer Curls - 10x5
    Bent Over Dumbell Laterals - 4x8
    Dumbell Laterals - 4x8

Day 5 - Off

REPEAT

My issues are I have no heavy Deads in there and my Leg day takes me around 90 minutes. I do get strong, but I get beat up in the process.

Any other routines I could bum off some of you more experienced Powerlifters?

Also, I don't feel my shoulders and traps are utilized enough. Any suggestions.

Redz122 is offline Associate Member
    About your shoulders, i would say that you don't train em compoundly like you do chest and legs. I mean, the shoulders weren't just meant for only lateral movement, but for pushing movements too. But I don't know, this new training regimen you layed out could probably be just that, new.

Quote Originally Posted by Redz122
    About your shoulders, i would say that you don't train em compoundly like you do chest and legs. I mean, the shoulders weren't just meant for only lateral movement, but for pushing movements too. But I don't know, this new training regimen you layed out could probably be just that, new.
    The regime is actually pretty old, I read the Poliquin version of it. For beginners, they suggest 10x10, for advanced 10x5/3 split.

In regards to my shoulders, they were sore after my Chest/Back workout, I think I may just add in a few isolation exercises here and there.

Bump for some more responses.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Just search for West Side and metal militia training.. the answers to your question are already written down hundreds of times over...

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i use max effort/ periodization for bench,squat,deadlifts,and military is works very well.
    Also use 5x5 and 5,5,5,3,3 for power exercises such as rack lockouts, floor press, inclines,close grips,dips, lunges,stiff legs,etc

Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    Just search for West Side and metal militia training.. the answers to your question are already written down hundreds of times over...
    I have researched both those methods but I'm natural. There is no way I can handle that workload without over-training. I'm looking for modifications.

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Ronny- you are right, you really can't train "Westside" and be natural. I've tried many times, always end up over training. Give me a day or so and maybe I can put something together for you.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Yup....

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_133per

Also, here's an example, very similar to what I do:

http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RoNNy THe BuLL
    I have researched both those methods but I'm natural. There is no way I can handle that workload without over-training. I'm looking for modifications.
    I gotta disagree with you. I'm natural too, and doing fine........ love it!
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 07-25-2005 at 06:01 PM.

phreezer is offline Respected Member

That's absurd.. I know many Very Competitive Powerlifters who perform West Side that do not Juice.. Damn Man.. Steroids aren't all that... Once you get your general level of physical preparedness up you'll have no difficulty performing westside's volume.. WOW.. I can't even believe that you said that.. Hell I trained West Side completely natural for over a year and made good gains....

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Yup....

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=body_133per

Also, here's an example, very similar to what I do:

http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm

I gotta disagree with you. I'm natural too, and doing fine........ love it!
    Thanks for the links Blown_SC. I think if I didn't do any cardio I could handle it, but I currently run 5-8k (around 3.5-6 miles) EOD. My cardio right now is of utmost importance.

Why I'm sticking to a power routine now is because it's not as stressfull on the CNS. Anything too much in the gym and I risk over-training.

That's absurd.. I know many Very Competitive Powerlifters who perform West Side that do not Juice.. Damn Man.. Steroids aren't all that... Once you get your general level of physical preparedness up you'll have no difficulty performing westside's volume.. WOW.. I can't even believe that you said that.. Hell I trained West Side completely natural for over a year and made good gains....
    Hey bro, not everyone's the same. I just stated above that the reason why I feel I can't do it natural is because I do run 5-8k (3.5-6 miles) EOD outdoor, that's tremendously taxing on the system as I go at a fairly fast pace (try to keep it just around the 7 minute mile mark). Right now my cardio is very important, but like I mentioned before, the only reason I stated that I was going to Powerlifting was because it's less taxing on the CNS. I risk over-training too easy, but I don't want to give up the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by power65
    Ronny- you are right, you really can't train "Westside" and be natural. I've tried many times, always end up over training. Give me a day or so and maybe I can put something together for you.
    It would be greatly appreciated bro. The split I'm doing now is even too taxing, I'm thinking of taking down to a 5x5 instead of a 10x5 and upping the weights off the bat.

Genetically I can be stronger then I can be bigger so I'm trying to utilize it as much as I can. The only thing I'm weak in is my bench. My 1RM is 315 at a bodyweight of 208lbs. My deadlift is 495 and my squat is 405. I need to improve on my squat and my bench.

Actually, I don't know if I can count my Deadlift as 495, it was with straps. I think without I can barely pull 405, anything over that and my grip goes.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Hey bro, not everyone's the same. I just stated above that the reason why I feel I can't do it natural is because I do run 5-8k (3.5-6 miles) EOD outdoor, that's tremendously taxing on the system as I go at a fairly fast pace (try to keep it just around the 7 minute mile mark). Right now my cardio is very important, but like I mentioned before, the only reason I stated that I was going to Powerlifting was because it's less taxing on the CNS. I risk over-training too easy, but I don't want to give up the weights.
    it is imposible to make great good gain with your legs and run like that with poerlifting. distance running uses slow twitch fibers, power lifting , fast twitch fibers HUGE difference. i tried this years ago, i ran cross country in high school and poerlifted,my weights tanked. if you have to run do sprints, they are fast twitch and will help your poerlifts. also west side can be done natural, you have to drop the volume and percentages, all trial and error. i am alos going to look for another routine for you. i'll be back!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"

german block training

ok routine is called german block training or the 3x3. program is 3days a wk one day of rest seperating each day. mon, wed , fri or tues thurs sat. etc. program is 8 wks.
    1st 4 wks every day you squat press and deadlift. no auxillary work is needed due to the amount of core lifts you are doing(sounds odd, but it works!!!)
    wk 1 58% squat 5 sets 5 reps ,8 sets of 6 reps in the press ,and dead 5 sets of 5
    wk 2 60% same rep scheme
    wk3 62%
    wk4 64%

wk 5-8 are diferent, here is where the fun begins.

wk 5 monday squat 80% 2 sets of 1, press 6 sets of 4 60%, dead 3 sets of 3 60%

wed squat 60% 3s of 3r, press 80% 2 sets of 1 rep, dead 3sets of 3 60%

fri squat 60% 3s of 3r, press 6 sets of 4 reps 60%, dead 2 sets of 1 80%

wk 6 follow last wks same rep scheme, still use 60% for the lighter speed days, and 85% for your max effort days on squat, press and dead.

wk 7 90% for max efort exerises, still 60% for the dynamic or speed exercises

wk 8 95% for max efort exerises, still 60% for the dynamic or speed exercises

sets and reps are the same from wks 5-8 and the days exercises are the same. after wk 8, take a wk of lifting off and the following wk max out. then use you new max numbers and you can do the program again, this type of training can be done year round. back to back to back.....etc.

to start take your current max numbers,add 20 pounds to your current squat max, 10 to your press , and 15 to the deadlift and use the percentages from these numbers to figure out what weights you will use.

side note, this works great for peaking for a meet. also feel free to try chains, bands, board presses, sumo or conventional, deads. you can rotate execises per day just like west side does"conjugate method" especially with the speed/dynamic effort exercises and all the exercises in the first 4 wks. pick one per day!!!! for example dont do half your presses with boards and the flip over to bands for the last few sets. if you want to do boards, do just boards for the entire day. then the next work out day, you can do all bands and so and so on. this is a template, you can fill in the blanks yourself. the program was intended for straight weight, but it can be done using todays new resistance methods. accomadate for band and chain weight and lower the straight weight percentage by 10, 15 or 20 %. if using board presses, rack presses, partiial squats and deadllifts, add 10,15. or 20% to the straight weight numbers. don't alter the max effort percentages or exercises for this program!!!!! do them the way you would max out or the form and technique you would use in a contest.
    if you must do some auxillary exercises, be my guest,keep them light and brief, no high volume or heavy resistance, you will get enough from doing the three major lifts 3 times a wk. confused? just ask.

power65 is offline Associate Member
    I'm not going to give a whole 12 week cycle of mine, but I'll show you guys what my breakdown per/ body part looks like.

Sunday: Triceps, Shoulder work
    Monday: Light Day..Stretching, Biceps & Grip work,calves, abs,
    Tuesday: Squat work + assistance exercises
    Wednesday: Upper Back work
    Thurdsay: Bench work
    Friday: DL + hamstring work
    Saturday: off

This split has worked wonders for me. All my body parts get plenty of rest.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Powerlifting less taxing on the CNS than what? The bench, deadlift, and squat are the most CNS intensive lifts you can do.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I train with singles almost exclusively most the time

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    I've used a few good routines. Westside is good, metal militia is good. Basic periodization works really well. I think the key is varying your training so your body doesn't get used to something.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Powerlifting less taxing on the CNS than what? The bench, deadlift, and squat are the most CNS intensive lifts you can do.
    ya I thought that was rather amusing myself... if you want something less taxing on you CNS powerlifting should be the last on you list... sounds like some kind of curciut training would be more benificial and less taxing... however, i must admit you wouldn't catch me running that kind of a distance... I just wouldn't be able to to run and carry the oxygen tanks with me, and forget the stop watch break out the calander!

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I don't think people emphasize core strength enough here. I don't mean lower back, I mean abs. If the front and back of your core aren't equally strong, you risk injury, just as is the case with any worker muscle/stablizer muscle relationship (ie tricep/bicep).

Thread Information