Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Competition preparations?

Just curious how you guys that compete prepare for PL competitions?

How many days before the meet do you rest?

Do you carbload or tweak diet in any other way the days before and on the meet day?

Anything else you usualy do to make sure your body is ready and in peak condition?

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    I usually take a week off before a meet. I don't eat anything different than normal especially on meet day. You don't want to be sick on your stomach before your first squat.
    Last edited by Power76; 07-29-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Tom Acker is offline New Member
    A few tidbits that have helped me through the years.

Three weeks out should be the last heavy, wild week. Singles with all the gear.

Two weeks out, top out with first attempt weights for doubles (or triples if you're feeling strong).

Week leading up to the meet. Monday & Tuesday just a few assorted assistance exersises to keep loose. Rest the remaining days.
    Spend some time visualizing your competition lifts.

Don't alter your diet significantly. Keep the same eating & sleeping schedule.

Arrive early at the meet site. (the day before lifting if possible)
    Get familiar with the layout.

Keep hydrated during the meet, have confidence in your abilities and the main thing:
    Have fun! Enjoy the company of your fellow lifters and the opportunity to finally "Show your stuff".

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i do my last heavy dead lift 3 weeks out, last heavy press and squat 2 weeks out, and the next week i do nothing but heal and wait, a little cardio to drop weight for weigh ins,(no running just slow walking) i cut my asistance exercises out about 3 wks before the meet also. after i weigh inn i eat like a champ!!!!! i usualy do meets that you can weigh in the night before. i eat a decent amount, but not to much,if you over eat you will throw up and feel like garbage. get a good nights rest and next day showtime. i have also gone out and drank like a baffoon the night before and another time i got really ****ed up and only got 3-4hours of sleep,somehow in both of these meets i did really ,really good. other meets where i did everything right i have tanked.
    my conclusion is it doesn't mater so much what you do the night before the meet, it is how you trained for the meet for the 6 to 12 wks before you go to the meet.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    also i use the atkins diet to get to my weight class, after weigh ins, i load up on low glycemic carbs(wheat, brown rice, strawberries, etc etc) and more protein. reason i choose low glycemic carbs, the don't spike your insulin levels. too many high glycemic carbs will make you feel very full,bloated and maybe even sick and very lethargic. low glycemic will give you energy for the long run and won't mess you up.

Thread Information