Papi93 is offline AR VET

Thumbs Under The Bar

When I place my thumbs under the barbell, on the bench press, it allows me to press more weight. Does anyone know the scientific reason for this?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it is simple bio-mechanics, u r stronger when your thumb is joining your fingers in flexion on the bar then if it was your regular grip and your fingers were in flexion and your thumb was opposing in the oppsite direction. it comes down to leverage and muscle groups working together with the thumbless grip. with regular grip your felxors and extensors are basically fighting each other instead of working together...think of when you pushh open a door, your natural push position with your hands is all fingers back including the thumbs, it gives your hand more surface area, better leverage, biomechanically correct.so when you do the thumbless grip on the bar you are making it a more natural press motion,therefore giving you more, it does wonders for me, love the thumbless grip.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Thanks, well said!

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I believe this is called the suicide grip. You usually must sign a special waiver before using this grip in competition since it can be very dangerous.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    I believe this is called the suicide grip. You usually must sign a special waiver before using this grip in competition since it can be very dangerous.
    I knew a guy from the gym who lost the barbell with this grip and it came crashing down on his chest. This was at a competition! He was ok and just had some bad bruising on his chest. Must have scared the crap out of his spotters.

Thread Information