Thread: crazy DB bench

brock125 is offline New Member

crazy DB bench

I was reading an article on Mike Dragna and he said he trains at a gym with 300 lb dumbells and some giant samoans were lifting them. I think thats just sick but guys like Gene Rychlak who are benching 1,005 must be pressing 300's I would think. I know they just focus mainly on bar bench but i'm curious whta they handle with dumbells. Anybody know?

chest6 is offline Banned
    man..well i saw that video of Coleman doing 200lbs 12 times pretty easily...but thats bodybuilding

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by brock125
    I was reading an article on Mike Dragna and he said he trains at a gym with 300 lb dumbells and some giant samoans were lifting them. I think thats just sick but guys like Gene Rychlak who are benching 1,005 must be pressing 300's I would think. I know they just focus mainly on bar bench but i'm curious whta they handle with dumbells. Anybody know?
    they don't use dumbells! they don't work on there lower end strength(like dumbell presses) theywork on upper end strength.(lock outs,board presses)there bench shirts do all the work off there chest, there is no need for dumbells. i just worked out with a major name presser( don't want to mention names) but the man has over an 800 press . the gym where he works out only has up to 50lb dumbells by his choice. so if that tells you anything. if someone really wanted to try to work a similar motion, but didn't have the dumbells that heavy, the may use a camel bar, but as far as i am concerned, i think it is a waste especially for a competiton presser like gene rychlak. after 100lbs, the dumbells become to big and to hard to handle for most people, and even if you can handle the weight, the set up is to akward, and it just poses so many possible injuries to happen, it isn't worth it, not for a powerlifter.

chest6 is offline Banned
    will it hinder strength gains if you use dumbells...i use them routinely along with my normal worrk

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    will it hinder strength gains if you use dumbells...i use them routinely along with my normal worrk
    Could you translate this?

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    do they even make 300lb DB's

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    doubt it

some people that do westside do DB presses on a ball

all i have to say is those balls better be heavy duty or.....pop

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    some of the west side methods are not the safest or most efficent exercises like zercher squats and seated/kneeling squats, etc etc..there are quite a few things that west side does that are not that great or smart.

BiggerNstronger is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    some of the west side methods are not the safest or most efficent exercises like zercher squats and seated/kneeling squats, etc etc..there are quite a few things that west side does that are not that great or smart.
    Generally speaking, dumbbells are more for bodybuilding than for powerlifting. Im not saying they CANT help but the heavier you go the more dangerous the dumbbells become. My gym only has 140's anyways so to go real heavy you go with barbells. Im about to start doing more board presses to help with my lockouts.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerNstronger
    Generally speaking, dumbbells are more for bodybuilding than for powerlifting. Im not saying they CANT help but the heavier you go the more dangerous the dumbbells become. My gym only has 140's anyways so to go real heavy you go with barbells. Im about to start doing more board presses to help with my lockouts.
    board presses rock!!!! dont forget rack lockouts or floor presses.

Lurch is offline New Member
    Any exercise can be dangerous if not done properly... DB presses are good for low end work. People say shirts do all the work at the bottom of a bench. If that was true you would never see a person get pinned by a bar.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    They use the db bench press on a Swiss Ball as part of their recovery workouts.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    all i have to say is those balls better be heavy duty or.....pop
    I used to be a personal trainer. I've seen a guy use a 225lb bench press on a special Swiss Ball. Some are designed to hold a massive amount of weight.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    IMO, a Zercher Squat is safer than a Good Morning. Not that a Good Morning is not a safe exercise if executed properly, it's just there isn't as much margin for error as their is with the Zercher Squat.

Thread Information