RJstrong is offline Senior Member

First day back in a squat rack

It's been about 6 weeks since I've hit squats. I really needed to get my lower back feeling better... and finally I feel ready. I think the time off did wonders for my mind also. I was really hyped up for today. It was the first time since the break that I trained with my normal crew. I've been going in early and training by myself during my rehab process... so it was cool to see the guys. Well, I haven't posted a workout in a while so what the h#ll here ya go:

4 sets of 12-15
    donkey calf/ leg curl/ leg extension (did this nonstop)

felt good & warm put on my groove briefs and headed to the squat rack:
    bar 2 sets 10
    145 1 set 10
    235 1 set 10
    (put on my belt here on out)
    325 1 set 6
    415 1 set 3
    505 1 set 3
    595 1 set 3
    (wrapped the knees here)
    685 1 set 3
    all in all I'm happy... actually couldn't be happier the weights felt good and my time off didn't seem to hurt my squat too bad... I hope this is a good sign! I will keep ya posted...
    Last edited by RJstrong; 09-09-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    Good to see you are back in action. When is your next meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    Good to see you are back in action. When is your next meet?
    thanks... Dec. 3-4 the Southern States... it's gonna be held in Jacksonville, FL. I am gonna try to pace myself better for this one....

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i bet it feels good to be back in the rack....its the loneliest piece of equipment in the gym you gotta give it some love

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    685 for 3...your a strong dude.....whats your best in comp.???

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    i bet it feels good to be back in the rack....its the loneliest piece of equipment in the gym you gotta give it some love
    lol... now that's funny!

685 for 3...your a strong dude.....whats your best in comp.???
    June 4 I hit a 865 @ Sr. Nationals... I weighed in @ 237... sadly that was the high point for me that day.

chest6 is offline Banned
    865 not bad..i do that with one leg also....

jk thats insane dude

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    ahahahah awesome quote man!! LOL

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    rehab is great, i recently tok a break to allow my low back to heal. do you compet in usapl?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    rehab is great, i recently tok a break to allow my low back to heal. do you compet in usapl?
    so far i've only competed in APF meets.

ok next question is, what type of suit are you using and how much does it help u as opposed to your raw max?

ok next question is, what type of suit are you using and how much does it help u as opposed to your raw max?
    I've hit an 805 in the gym using belt and wraps... I just hit an 865 in the Sr. Nationals using a Titan Boss. I strained my back just prior to the meet so I believe 60lbs is a bit conservative. I felt like I had a 900 in me before the minor strain (that's powerlifting: it's not always how strong you are healthy but how strong you are hurt ) However, I believe I can get 80-100 lbs. out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    I've hit an 805 in the gym using belt and wraps... I just hit an 865 in the Sr. Nationals using a Titan Boss. I strained my back just prior to the meet so I believe 60lbs is a bit conservative. I felt like I had a 900 in me before the minor strain (that's powerlifting: it's not always how strong you are healthy but how strong you are hurt ) However, I believe I can get 80-100 lbs. out of it.
    i was pretty sure you used the boss, i just got one,i have been training raw lately so i havent put it on, in training, do you use yoursuit often(new trend in powerlifting is to put on your equipment every wk, i don't agree w it) i would like to know how from wk to wk how you train your squat and dead, lets say for a 12 or 6 wk routinw. do you dead lift every wk or every other wk or not at all? do use percentages, number of reps etc. etc. how many days a wk do you work legs? i have cut mine back to only one day, beacuse of injury and i feel like it is not enough, put i fel alot more healed rom wk to wk.

i was pretty sure you used the boss, i just got one,i have been training raw lately so i havent put it on, in training, do you use yoursuit often(new trend in powerlifting is to put on your equipment every wk, i don't agree w it) i would like to know how from wk to wk how you train your squat and dead, lets say for a 12 or 6 wk routinw. do you dead lift every wk or every other wk or not at all? do use percentages, number of reps etc. etc. how many days a wk do you work legs? i have cut mine back to only one day, beacuse of injury and i feel like it is not enough, put i fel alot more healed rom wk to wk.
    I prefer to train raw thru the year and normally start using my gear about 6-8 weeks out. I have always trained my squat and deadlift once weekly. I squat every Mon. and deadlift every Fri. I actually just started training for my next contest yesterday (took labor day off and squatted Tues.) My rep scheme is pretty simple... first month heavy triples... second month heavy doubles... third month heavy singles (at least that's what I'm gonna try this time ). This first month of training is really just to get the conditioning up and I normally drop all assistance work when I put on my gear. As far as percentages go this week for example I will go to about 65% of my max for 2-3 sets of triples and then add 5% each week (until I put on the gear) in hopes of setting a good pace and not peaking too early... that seemed to be my problem at my last contest especially in the bench. I have to admit I'm always reading and researching different routines and I'm always open to suggestions in regard to training. If you want to succeed in this game and be in it for the long haul I think being open minded and showing a willingness to try new things are essential.
    Last edited by RJstrong; 09-07-2005 at 07:08 PM.

i agree!you must find what workd for you and always keep changin routines, frequency, and exercises so you don't adapt. i don't like to change my exercises weekly like westside, but variations of the main lifts that mimic the movement work best for me. do you press 2 days a wk or just one?

i agree!you must find what workd for you and always keep changin routines, frequency, and exercises so you don't adapt. i don't like to change my exercises weekly like westside, but variations of the main lifts that mimic the movement work best for me. do you press 2 days a wk or just one?
    I bench 2x per week... bench every Thur. and close grip every Sat. but my heavy work is normally done on my bench day. I feel the same as you do as far as changing exercises, I like to stick with something for 2-3 weeks before changing things up. I have also had great results using a combination of bands and chains... but my goto exercises are normally 2 or 3 board presses, floor presses, and lock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    I bench 2x per week... bench every Thur. and close grip every Sat. but my heavy work is normally done on my bench day. I feel the same as you do as far as changing exercises, I like to stick with something for 2-3 weeks before changing things up. I have also had great results using a combination of bands and chains... but my goto exercises are normally 2 or 3 board presses, floor presses, and lock outs.
    same here, i use the 3-4boards and lockouts. i have to try floor presses.isthere a big difference from the lock outs? i figured if you did lockouts without any leg drive, it would mimic the floor press. do you work on speed or explosive strength?

same here, i use the 3-4boards and lockouts. i have to try floor presses.isthere a big difference from the lock outs? i figured if you did lockouts without any leg drive, it would mimic the floor press. do you work on speed or explosive strength?
    you know it is similar in many ways, although I think floor presses are somewhat similar to a 4 or maybe 5 board press too. I think the biggest difference is the eccentric start rather then the concentric start you have with lockouts... you really have to control the weight down and must have good stopping power with floor presses otherwise your forearms will mysteriously shorten ... as far as speed work goes I do like to incorporate it into my workouts, but I would have to say I do it spraringly... normally I will use bands or chains or both for my speed work.

Thread Information