BiggerNstronger is offline New Member

Most gains in strength in a short amount of time.

Whats the most your benchpress (or other lift) has ever gone up in a relatively short period of time? Here is my situation: Im a big guy (6'1 270lbs) but I have never really put up big weights in benchpress, but Ive never really tried. I have been training hard and heavy for the past few months and have really made serious strides in the past few weeks. At my best I could rep out 315 for 5 (barely) but I couldnt press 355 for 1 rep. I had been cutting/dieting for almost 6 months until about a month ago. Now Im bulking (eating like a horse) and my strength has went thru the roof. Last week I repped out 315 for 7....yesterday I did it for 10 (and had 1 or 2 more in me) Last week I put up 375....this week I didnt max out but I had 4 plates in me I think! Now of course all the finger pointers say I must be juicing (im not). They dont understand...I had a shoulder injury that slowed me down and its finally got to where I can lift pain-free, my genetics make it so that I can put on plenty of MASS and strength but I also pack on the fat.....the downfall to this is that I struggle to LOSE the fat when its time to cut. ANYWAYS......whats the biggest gain in a short time that YOU have made? Is this so UN-natural? thanks.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    When I was in high school I shot up from a 225lb bench to 340 in one school year. Only used amino acids and no juice.Now I struggle to add 5 lbs to my max.

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    When I was in high school I shot up from a 225lb bench to 340 in one school year. Only used amino acids and no juice.Now I struggle to add 5 lbs to my max.
    Interesting. I know that my gains will certainly level out but for my size I feel like I have a ways to go. My goal for the end of summer/fall was hit 400lbs raw by Nov. 1st. Im well ahead of schedule....I will know next week.

hurley11 is offline Junior Member
    About 6 months ago I was stuck around the 200 mark. Since then Ive put on maybe 25 pounds of muscle and my bench hit 280 last week so natural fast gains are definitely possible.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    when i first started deadlifts i went from about 400 to 505 in a few months

chest6 is offline Banned
    damn i have been stuck at 405 on deadlift forever its by far my worst lift

madflabby is offline Associate Member
    I'm on a TEST/M1T cycle and at the start I had to strain to get 405lbs on my bench. 2 months into it I hit 465lbs 2 weeks to to I hope to hit 480.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    as you age, it is hardr to make naturalgains quickly,ESPECIALLY WHEN DIETING OR CUTTING! but like you said, u never pushed yourself, now you are making bigger gain, and no longerdieting. lifting hard and eating big are to of the best ways to get a better bench.

Update: My bench is still going up, I didnt max out just yet but I was able to hit 315lbs for 10 and then jumped to 355 and did it for 5 reps. I tried 405 but by that time I was worn out...I had it in me though. My deads went way up too. My previous "best" was 315 for 5 or 6 reps but last weds. I hit 405 for 4 reps! So far so good, but my wasteline is going up as fast as everything else.

cut back on the sets of ten reps!!!if you want to hit 405, try to do less reps, like 5's and 3's even if you can hit the weight for mor reps, stop. to much hypertrophy training will tire you out b4 you max. also.don't try to max out on flat bench every week, take an entire week off of lifting, let your self heal, then try to max, you will be stronger

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    cut back on the sets of ten reps!!!if you want to hit 405, try to do less reps, like 5's and 3's even if you can hit the weight for mor reps, stop. to much hypertrophy training will tire you out b4 you max. also.don't try to max out on flat bench every week, take an entire week off of lifting, let your self heal, then try to max, you will be stronger
    Exactly. It's hard to recover from high rep sets.

if you need a great routine to increase your max, just ask.

matt23 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    He's right. I think one of the hardest things for young lifters(I know because I am one) is to resist maxing out every week they do good on the bench. I know every week i hit PBs on sets and reps I'm eager to max out however, I don't. While you may notice no difference in strength now, maxing out everyday when you're older will mess up your cycle so, get into good habits now. Just remember you're body will not be as forgiving 20 years down the road as it is now. Sets of 5 and 3s are better for building strength, 10 reps leans a little more towards being cut. Also make sure you're not benching too many times a week. Generally, most powerlifters bench twice a week.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    My biggest gain was on the squat during my last training cycle. I went from 655 to about 715 in four weeks.

Thread Information