Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big M is offline Associate Member

How much does the bench shirt help you?

Hey guys

How much does the bench shirt help ya?

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    This varies widely depending on the type of shirt, the build of the lifter and the strengths/weaknesses of the lifter. How the lift is performed also makes a difference. With an open back double denim shirt and a very low bar groove I have experienced a gain of over 200 pounds over my raw bench. With a closed back single ply shirt with a higher bar path I have gotten around 100 pounds. Some people get more than this and some get much less. A lot depends on arm length and tricep strength. Speed off the chest is also very important.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    This varies widely depending on the type of shirt, the build of the lifter and the strengths/weaknesses of the lifter. How the lift is performed also makes a difference. With an open back double denim shirt and a very low bar groove I have experienced a gain of over 200 pounds over my raw bench. With a closed back single ply shirt with a higher bar path I have gotten around 100 pounds. Some people get more than this and some get much less. A lot depends on arm length and tricep strength. Speed off the chest is also very important.
    this about sums it up, single ply around 100.double denim 150 to 200lbs, for myself., it varies person to person, how much you weigh, lockout strength and of course how you train, and if you use juice or not. to be a great shirt presser, u need alot of lockout and boardwork. all full motion presses raw should be done with a closer grip to utilize more triceps. i have found the "metal militia bench routine very helpful, also mixing in westside dynamic effort exercises(speed work with bands and chains) to really give me a boost. this type of training is specific for a shirted competition presser. training to increse you raw max only will not help your shirted press, you need to work your upper end strength movements to increase your shirted press.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    It's great that a shirt can add 200lbs + to someones bench. How much you wanna bet I can add 1,000 lbs to my bench with a forklift? Shirts have no place in powerlifting and are the main reason it is now a dying sport. If it ain't raw, it ain't shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    It's great that a shirt can add 200lbs + to someones bench. How much you wanna bet I can add 1,000 lbs to my bench with a forklift? Shirts have no place in powerlifting and are the main reason it is now a dying sport. If it ain't raw, it ain't shit.
    i here you, i used to lift raw only, now i do both. it would be great if everywhere was raw, but the sport morphed into gear, and to compete with the guys with big numbers, you have to.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member

Agreed

shirts have become ridiculous, highest all time press is now a bigger number than the highest all time deadlift thanks to the new technology. it realy is wrong.

I'm not knocking competing powerlifters, most of them are stronger than me Raw and they have my respect. What is so wrong with respecting a 700lb raw bench? They wanted 1,000 and there was no way to get there without shirts etc. Remember what the world records were before these shirts? Those were real, respectable numbers and powerlifting had a following. I don't know where this sport will end up if they keep adding gadgets to get the numbers up, they need to go back to the basics and that will give new life to the sport.

Agree totaly with you Benches505. Powerlifting is killing itself. I was the swedish powerlifting champion when i was 15,16 and 17 (my age and weight class oc) When i quit 2 years ago I said it was Bcuz of the shirts...
    Does anybody know what the world record is shirt-less???

Mid 700's last I checked.

The highest official shirtless bench is 715 done last month by Scot Mendelson. Although I use shirts I have to agree with your responses. I wish powerlifting would go back to just a belt and wraps but it ain't gonna happen. If it ever did I would gladly trash by shirts and suits. But until then I have to keep up with the competition so I will continue to try to get as much out of my gear as possible. "When in Rome do as the Romans."

Tthat alot!!! Isīnt the IPF record 705?? They use Shirts (single layer anyway)

Not sure what the IPF record is but it's more than 705. Brian Siders has hit close to 800 in the IPF and several others have went over 700.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    If not properly used a shirt will give you nothing... nobody is going to put a shirt on and miraculously hit bigger numbers. The learning curve can be a cumbersome undertaking. I have seen more people (including myself) bomb out of a meet becuase of their shirt. Personally after about 3 years of training I am now getting approximately 100-120 pounds out of my shirt. Who is to say whether or not shirts are good or bad for the sport. I know that in order to compete at the highest level it is a must to just accept that this is the evolution of the sport.... people want to see huge numbers, and records being broken by any means necessary. Trust me when I say I would love to compete raw against many athletes because my raw numbers are good, but I also have the WPO in my sights so these raw numbers, sadly enough are just meaningless. On a side note just to give an example of raw numbers.... in warm ups at the APF Sr. Nationals for the bench press I witnessed Travis Mash get buried with 500 lbs. (he had no shirt on at this point) I have hit 500 for triples raw countless times in training, however with a shirt on he hits almost 700 lbs. Is this fair... doesn't matter it's reality!

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    wt the hell is a bench shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    If not properly used a shirt will give you nothing... nobody is going to put a shirt on and miraculously hit bigger numbers. The learning curve can be a cumbersome undertaking. I have seen more people (including myself) bomb out of a meet becuase of their shirt. Personally after about 3 years of training I am now getting approximately 100-120 pounds out of my shirt. Who is to say whether or not shirts are good or bad for the sport. I know that in order to compete at the highest level it is a must to just accept that this is the evolution of the sport.... people want to see huge numbers, and records being broken by any means necessary. Trust me when I say I would love to compete raw against many athletes because my raw numbers are good, but I also have the WPO in my sights so these raw numbers, sadly enough are just meaningless. On a side note just to give an example of raw numbers.... in warm ups at the APF Sr. Nationals for the bench press I witnessed Travis Mash get buried with 500 lbs. (he had no shirt on at this point) I have hit 500 for triples raw countless times in training, however with a shirt on he hits almost 700 lbs. Is this fair... doesn't matter it's reality!
    mash can't do 500 without a shirt???? that is pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!! i read a post on elite fts in mashed traing law and he thinks he can hit 800 in the near future. he must hav eone hell of a lock out.
    RJ, what is your weight class, and your numbers raw and equipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    mash can't do 500 without a shirt???? that is pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow!!!! i read a post on elite fts in mashed traing law and he thinks he can hit 800 in the near future. he must hav eone hell of a lock out.
    In Mash's defense I am totally unaware of any injuries or anything else that may of hurt his raw bench... I know the way my elbows were feeling before the meet there was no way I was going to hit a 500 in my warm up raw, I stopped at 405. It was a bit of a shocker because he got on the bench without a spotter took 500 up about 1/2 way an then about 3 or 4 people ran over to pull the weight off him. I think he let his ego get the best of him. He also uses a shirt that takes a few guys to help him put it on, using plastic bags to help it slide up his arms. I can practically put my shirt on by my self so obviously I have a bit more to learn. As far as my numbers go my best raw lifts.... Squat: 805 (belt & knee wraps) Bench: 545 (touch & go) Deadlift: 725 (I deadlift raw in meets as well). With gear..... Squat: 865 bench: 567 (665 in the gym) Deadlift: 722 (725 in the gym) I compete in the 242's but I stay within my competition weight all year by 5-10 lbs.

In Mash's defense I am totally unaware of any injuries or anything else that may of hurt his raw bench... I know the way my elbows were feeling before the meet there was no way I was going to hit a 500 in my warm up raw, I stopped at 405. It was a bit of a shocker because he got on the bench without a spotter took 500 up about 1/2 way an then about 3 or 4 people ran over to pull the weight off him. I think he let his ego get the best of him. He also uses a shirt that takes a few guys to help him put it on, using plastic bags to help it slide up his arms. I can practically put my shirt on by my self so obviously I have a bit more to learn. As far as my numbers go my best raw lifts.... Squat: 805 (belt & knee wraps) Bench: 545 (touch & go) Deadlift: 725 (I deadlift raw in meets as well). With gear..... Squat: 865 bench: 567 (665 in the gym) Deadlift: 722 (725 in the gym) I compete in the 242's but I stay within my competition weight all year by 5-10 lbs.
    I do agree that competing powerlifters just don't have a choice in the matter. Either shirt up or come in hundreds below your competition and lose. It just takes the magic away and the general public is not too hip on it either. Powerlifting was much bigger in the 80's than it is now, I used to be able to tune into cable and watch it all the time. Now people watch the strong man competitions and not powerlifting and I think the shirts are mostly to blame. Is there an ALL RAW federation out there? If not that might be just what the doctor ordered.

I do agree that competing powerlifters just don't have a choice in the matter. Either shirt up or come in hundreds below your competition and lose. It just takes the magic away and the general public is not too hip on it either. Powerlifting was much bigger in the 80's than it is now, I used to be able to tune into cable and watch it all the time. Now people watch the strong man competitions and not powerlifting and I think the shirts are mostly to blame. Is there an ALL RAW federation out there? If not that might be just what the doctor ordered.
    You make a very valid point. I would love to see powerlifting gain acceptance from the general public, but until then it will be just another subculture that interestingly enough is dwarfed by a similar subculture that has close knit ties... bodybuilding. I often wonder if the public is turned off by the obvious, really in your face use of steriods . Especially with all the propaganda that the govt. has been shoving down our throats. Look at what they are doing to the elite sports of our time... NFL, NBA, MLB. Bodybuilding and powerlifting are simply ignored by everyone even our govt. I am not saying I want govt. involvment, on the contrary, I am against anyone telling me or you what we can put into our bodies. Although I may agree somewhat with your assessment, I am still unsure if the bench shirt is the main culprit?

If not the bench shirt then why the huge drop in the popularity of the sport? What has changed other than shirts becoming main stream. I downloaded the video clip of that 1,000 lb bench that someone had posted here a while back and took it to the gym with me on my laptop. I told some of the boys and before I knew it 15 or so of the younger guys were standing around watching the clip. Instead of astonishment and respect most if not all of them laughed! They commented on how the guy couldn't even move an inch in that shirt and the huge deal of 1,000 lb bench press was deminished to nothing by a bunch of kids that struggle with 225 for a few reps. On the occasions when I max out my bench and hit 505 or 515 for 1 rep they act amazed and it's the greatest thing in the world. Take these same kids and show them a 700lb bench and they will worship the guy like a god but show them 1,000 shirted bench and they laugh. It doesn't add up but that is just how the people view it.

Travis has done 535 without a shirt with a pause. He was having a bad day at the Seniors. Travis was trying to train for a single ply meet (USPF Mountaineer Cup) and the Seniors at the same time and he was badly overtrained. He also suffered a pec injury a while back. RJ Strong is right about the shirts though. My first shirt was a double denim and I got around 60 pounds out of it the first time I used it. It has taken me over two years of training and practice in it to get the carry over I am currently getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Power76
    Travis has done 535 without a shirt with a pause. He was having a bad day at the Seniors. Travis was trying to train for a single ply meet (USPF Mountaineer Cup) and the Seniors at the same time and he was badly overtrained. He also suffered a pec injury a while back. RJ Strong is right about the shirts though. My first shirt was a double denim and I got around 60 pounds out of it the first time I used it. It has taken me over two years of training and practice in it to get the carry over I am currently getting.
    I was wandering what was up. He didn't look to be having a good day at the Sr. but who am I to talk neither did I. I didn't think anyone could beat him. I am assuming that many people did the same thing that I did (since there was 49-50 bomb outs)... simply overtrained for a big meet!

what type of squat suit? if you can do 800 raw, you should bein the 900 range, i am sure you can squeeze more out of the suit as well as the shirt. when you deadlift, are you sumo, or conventional? any reason you don't use the equipment to dead? to hard to get to the flor to grab the bar? do you think the suits can actually help a sumo deadlifter in your opinion?

do you think the suits can actually help a sumo deadlifter in your opinion?
    only if you have a very weak back I belive. I dont think that the squat suit can help you as much as 100pounds, itīs those knee wraps that cranks the tho most of weight up right??.

I think a deadlift suit will benefit a sumo puller more than a conventional puller especially in the heavier classes. Most of the bigger guys that deadlift conventional don't even wear a suit. Andy Bolton just pulled the all time record with 936 and he does not wear a suit. As far as the knee wraps, they don't give you anything compared to the suit. I have squatted 500 with just my knee wraps but I have squatted 550 with just my briefs and no wraps.

what type of squat suit? if you can do 800 raw, you should bein the 900 range, i am sure you can squeeze more out of the suit as well as the shirt. when you deadlift, are you sumo, or conventional? any reason you don't use the equipment to dead? to hard to get to the flor to grab the bar? do you think the suits can actually help a sumo deadlifter in your opinion?
    I just started to use a Titan boss. I actually think that I have a 900 in me I just havn't gone for it yet. My intentions at the Sr. Nat. was to hit a 900 but after coming in a bit overtrained I ended up going conservative at 865 (but I feel the 900 was there about 2-3 weeks prior to the meet). I pull conventional, although I do incorporate sumo during my off season training (best sumo lift is 705). I am considering trying a deadlift suit. I have been training for approximately 15 years, but just started powerlifting 3 years ago, so I am still learning about lifting gear. The fact that my partner, who got me into PL doesn't like deadlifts suits (feels like he can't get into a good starting position conventional) is the main reason I havn't tried one.

I just started to use a Titan boss. I actually think that I have a 900 in me I just havn't gone for it yet. My intentions at the Sr. Nat. was to hit a 900 but after coming in a bit overtrained I ended up going conservative at 865 (but I feel the 900 was there about 2-3 weeks prior to the meet). I pull conventional, although I do incorporate sumo during my off season training (best sumo lift is 705). I am considering trying a deadlift suit. I have been training for approximately 15 years, but just started powerlifting 3 years ago, so I am still learning about lifting gear. The fact that my partner, who got me into PL doesn't like deadlifts suits (feels like he can't get into a good starting position conventional) is the main reason I havn't tried one.
    i am going to try the boss suit as well. i here it is almost exactly like the "metal" equipment, just a hell of alot cheaper. i pull sumo, and i have used the suit to deadlift and pulled raw, and to be honest i am not sure which one works. the suit screws up my starting position and makes it feel akward, but i do think i get a little more of a jump start for the begining of the pull. do you think it is possible to deadlift sumo style in the bos suit or would it be to hard to grab the bar?

i am going to try the boss suit as well. i here it is almost exactly like the "metal" equipment, just a hell of alot cheaper. i pull sumo, and i have used the suit to deadlift and pulled raw, and to be honest i am not sure which one works. the suit screws up my starting position and makes it feel akward, but i do think i get a little more of a jump start for the begining of the pull. do you think it is possible to deadlift sumo style in the bos suit or would it be to hard to grab the bar?
    Hmmmmm, good question. I'm not sure about the Boss and deadlifting sumo?.... it would be tough to grab the bar, but that seems to be the case with every DL suit. The thing I like most about the Boss is the stopping power it has in the hole with heavy weight. I guess anything is worth a shot, you don't really know unless you try. That is why I'm interested in trying a suit to pull in and interested in trying out other bench shirts. I think I am going to try a Rage X or Phenom. I have only used Denim and I am curious to see if the other shirts could help my lock out. My boy, C. Simmons took 3rd place in the 242's at Sr. Nat. and swears by the Rage X & phenom (opens w/ Phenom). I think he benched 716 at the Sr. but has hit a 733 in a previous meet! C. Simmons is a great guy, UNBELIEVABLE LIFTER!

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

Yea, i totally agree with you there. I was gunna get into powerlifting when i get into college but i dont want suits and all that. Can you do competition that are just raw?

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Yes they have raw meets, or alot of organizations have raw divisions. The only problem with going to a meet that allows gear and lifting in the raw division is that you more than likely don't have anyone to lift against. So it's not really that competitive.

Glad to see so many people now agreeing with me what I've been preaching the past year. Bench shirts are going crazy and destroying the credability of our sport. People on the outside no longer respect our lifts and see these "New" records as a joke. It seems like everytime a new "High Tech" shirt comes out the records all get broken again. So are the lifters getting stronger, or is the gear getting better?? I think we all know the answer to that. Yes I know all you ego freaks out there will argue w/ me until the end of time. but come on. You know it's true. If you weren't getting so much out of this new gear you wouldn't be spending $200 for a shirt.This is why our sport can and will never be considered as an olympic sport. The only way powerlifting can ever get into the olympics would be for all lifts to be "Raw" or for one piece of gear to be chosen by the IOC to be used for each lift. it would then become a bidding war with the Gear Companies to see who's gear is chosen to be legal. Face it. Like Power76 stated earlier, even if we don't like all this new gear we have to wear it just to compete. Oh how I miss the days of the Inzer "Blast Shirt". I would gladly go back it I could.

Quote Originally Posted by power65
    Yes they have raw meets, or alot of organizations have raw divisions. The only problem with going to a meet that allows gear and lifting in the raw division is that you more than likely don't have anyone to lift against. So it's not really that competitive.

Glad to see so many people now agreeing with me what I've been preaching the past year. Bench shirts are going crazy and destroying the credability of our sport. People on the outside no longer respect our lifts and see these "New" records as a joke. It seems like everytime a new "High Tech" shirt comes out the records all get broken again. So are the lifters getting stronger, or is the gear getting better?? I think we all know the answer to that. Yes I know all you ego freaks out there will argue w/ me until the end of time. but come on. You know it's true. If you weren't getting so much out of this new gear you wouldn't be spending $200 for a shirt.This is why our sport can and will never be considered as an olympic sport. The only way powerlifting can ever get into the olympics would be for all lifts to be "Raw" or for one piece of gear to be chosen by the IOC to be used for each lift. it would then become a bidding war with the Gear Companies to see who's gear is chosen to be legal. Face it. Like Power76 stated earlier, even if we don't like all this new gear we have to wear it just to compete. Oh how I miss the days of the Inzer "Blast Shirt". I would gladly go back it I could.
    agreed! matt lamaraque just hit an 801lb press at 220!!!!! what the hell, a few years ago, heavy weights were striving to hit that weight, like anthony clark and jamie harris. the lifters haven't gotten better the juice hasn't changed,it is thedamn equipment!!! 1005 bench press by rychlak, it is a joke!!!! the bench record shouldn't be higher than the dead lift record!!!! it is f'd up! we will never see out sport in the olymics, to many drugs, to many federations, to much equipment.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    do guys use those shirts for working out too? or are they just for competition. i mean what would be the benifit if its the shirt doing alot of the work?

Quote Originally Posted by 1819
    do guys use those shirts for working out too? or are they just for competition. i mean what would be the benifit if its the shirt doing alot of the work?
    They are just for competition. Although in order to become proficient with a bench shirt it takes a lot of practice. So many competitive powerlifters will train for varying lengths of time throughout the year. Initailly the shirts were designed to protect the shoulders/rotator cuff or allow a lifter to still train through minor injuries but this has evolved into strictly getting bigger numbers. Some will argue that this is good for the sport some will argue that it's bad either way it's reality. So if you want to compete you are basically forced into learning/wearing the gear just to even the playing field otherwise you are lifting with a major disadvantage.
    Last edited by RJstrong; 07-20-2005 at 06:36 AM.

i think it should be just belts, wraps, and straps

the bench change is crazy... kaz did have the record for a while with 661 and about 350lbs later it is over 1000. The only lift that hasnt changed all that much is the deadlift because there isnt much that can help you out with that. I think the deadlift is the best test for overall strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    the bench change is crazy... kaz did have the record for a while with 661 and about 350lbs later it is over 1000. The only lift that hasnt changed all that much is the deadlift because there isnt much that can help you out with that. I think the deadlift is the best test for overall strength.
    I agree... the ultimate test of power is the deadlift! when I compete that is the one lift that I do raw.

TryingHard is offline Yes thats me in the Avatar!!! A wanna be BB!!
    I have a question. Would the shirts be good for building muscle? I mean the more weight you use, the bigger your muscle gets right? So in therory wouldn't using more weight using a shirt build more muscle? Thanks for the advice.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TryingHard
    I have a question. Would the shirts be good for building muscle? I mean the more weight you use, the bigger your muscle gets right? So in therory wouldn't using more weight using a shirt build more muscle? Thanks for the advice.
    that was kinda my question before but im thinkin your not using bigger weight if the shirt is doin the work for you. kinda like a spotter pullin the bar up for ya.

nothing better then training "powerlifting" style for putting on quality muscle... shirt or no shirt.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Biggest raw bench ever: 730 lbs by Mendelson. Yeah shirts suck, they really cut my armpits; when i take the shirt off im bleeding. One thing is for sure, powerlifting will NEVER become an olympic sport if the bench shirt and squat suit are used. The IOC just doesnt like how much of sport depends on equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information