boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member

How Can I Improve Bench Arch?

Just came back from watching my first bench meet and I was pretty impressed. Anyway, there were some people there with some serious archs and I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to better arch your back while benching. Does flexibility become a factor?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    flexibility can be made better for anyone. one way is to usetowels and roll them up together, keep adding more towels untill youget the rt stretch. also using any kind of cylinder objects, like a buoy or even larger pvc tubing or metal piping etc etc. and keep trying to increse the radius of the object you are using to a bigger one, try a basketball, impovise and alway try to arch more and more every time you get on the bench. now dont try toshove thing under your back while you r pressing, do this b4 or aftr you lift like a warm up stretch

Lurch is offline New Member
    I wouldn't worry to much about your arch right now until you get your bench technique mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    flexibility can be made better for anyone. one way is to usetowels and roll them up together, keep adding more towels untill youget the rt stretch. also using any kind of cylinder objects, like a buoy or even larger pvc tubing or metal piping etc etc. and keep trying to increse the radius of the object you are using to a bigger one, try a basketball, impovise and alway try to arch more and more every time you get on the bench. now dont try toshove thing under your back while you r pressing, do this b4 or aftr you lift like a warm up stretch
    i'm gonna give this a try. thanks.

love 2 lift is offline Associate Member
    I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but I will tell you what I have learned about the arch.

I just started visiting the gym of a power lifter here at work. He had a 500 pound bench in his last meet. He has been showing me a few things with the arch, so I figured I would give it a try. First put your feet close to the bar side of the bench. Slide under the bar, keeping your feet there, using an underhand grip of the bar. Now your head and shoulders should be off the bench, slide forward and try to make the biggest arch that you can without moving your feet. You may have to go up on your tipp toes with your feet and maybe even slide them forward a little to get your feet flat. Now drive your shoulders into the bench and you should be set.

The first week it was really hard to get the hang of it. You will def. need to drop back the weight. Instead of lowering the bar to the chest you should bring it to the stomache<where the highest point of your arch is> He showed me to bench with my elbows tucked close to the sides.

I have only been doing this for 3 weeks now and I have a little better arch each week. Just keep trying.

Yes that is what I have been doing, planting my feet close to the bar which pushes my head way past the bar, and then walking back while keeping the feet planted. Now my back actually does arch, but not nearly as much as some others. I'm going to keep working on it. It seems what one persons bench to the chest could be his 2/3 board bench if they can arch enough.

Thread Information