Thread: Great Gyms

Velkar182 is offline Banned

Great Gyms

I am going to grad school after this year and one of the factors determining where I go is gym quality. I am just throwing this out there, but does anyone know if there are any kick a$$ gyms near these universities:
    Drexel, Carnegie Mellon, George Washington, Bowling Green, Penn State
    Feel free to suggest schools thaty are close to awesome gyms!

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    I go to bowling green it has about everything you need just packed sometimes they have DB's benches , power rack, back extention, hyper extension, pulleys, seated calfs, leg press and some other stuff.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    Most universities have great gyms, no need to go to another one off campus.

2bshredded is offline Member
    I agree, some of the best equipment I've used was at Universities, plus there was a lot more to look at.

Steve80 is offline Associate Member
    love lookin at the little hotties

It's not just about equipment. It's about atmosphere and being able to find a metal head for a lifting partner, like me. The university I am at has decent stuff, besides big dumbells, but the hoes walk around and giggle and we got faggot using there 2 lb weights. It's about atmosphere! The good equipment is put away for the football team at their facility.

powerfiend is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    It's not just about equipment. It's about atmosphere and being able to find a metal head for a lifting partner, like me. The university I am at has decent stuff, besides big dumbells, but the hoes walk around and giggle and we got faggot using there 2 lb weights. It's about atmosphere! The good equipment is put away for the football team at their facility.
    Uh yeah, I agree with Velkar. My university gym is a horriable PL atmosphere... I get so irritated at the crowds of people doing curls in the power racks I can't focus on my training. Plus the music sucks, I hate the backstreet boys!!!!

Again, like Velkar said all the good equipment is in a seperate gym for the football team where us regular students aren't permitted.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    velkar PM me, i know 2 gyms for our type of liting in areas you may be looking in

velkar, i sent you a PM

smeyers is offline Junior Member
    I did my undergrad at PSU, my first undergrad, haha, didn't get me anywhere so I'm back in school, but anyway they have a gym in the basement of Pinchot Hall, one of the freshmen dorms , (East Halls Area),that is pretty good, as far as atomsphere goes. The gym isn't huge, but the equipment is decent, and usually big enough for the people that come. But the atmosphere is definatly cool, basically loud metal all the time. You'll have your random one or two chicks there once in a blue moon, but for the most part it's more or less your more serious lifters. They have a competitive PL team on and off that will train there as well.

A lot of people don't know that the gym exists however b/c they don't want a lot of people coming there and mucking things up,......ho's and your tuff guy frat boy's doing curls 5 times a week in the squat rack...........by the way if you go to PSU, stay away from the White room during busy hours, if your looking to stay away from the "club type fitness atomsphere" Rec Hall is usually not too bad with their stuff, but the atomsphere in Pinchot Hall can't be beat. Bad part is the weight room in Pinchot is closed during the summers since it's run by students, and there probably isn't going to be any classes that you'll have that will be close to there, it's sort of out of the way, ......it's possibly, usually, to park there........but after 5, (unless they've changed things in the past couple years, which is possible).

Also, there's an O-lifting place up there that was just set up since I got out in Aug. of 03. www.victorysportsperformance.com/ The rest of the places up there, to my knowledge are all fitness type places.

I'll ask around to see about Carneige Mellon. I'm actually in Pittsburgh now, but not near there, but some of my friends went to Pitt, not that far away from Carneige Mellon, so I'll ask some of them to see if there's anything decent near the campus.

I did my undergrad at PSU, my first undergrad, haha, didn't get me anywhere so I'm back in school, but anyway they have a gym in the basement of Pinchot Hall, one of the freshmen dorms , (East Halls Area),that is pretty good, as far as atomsphere goes. The gym isn't huge, but the equipment is decent, and usually big enough for the people that come. But the atmosphere is definatly cool, basically loud metal all the time. You'll have your random one or two chicks there once in a blue moon, but for the most part it's more or less your more serious lifters. They have a competitive PL team on and off that will train there as well.

A lot of people don't know that the gym exists however b/c they don't want a lot of people coming there and mucking things up,......ho's and your tuff guy frat boy's doing curls 5 times a week in the squat rack...........by the way if you go to PSU, stay away from the White room during busy hours, if your looking to stay away from the "club type fitness atomsphere" Rec Hall is usually not too bad with their stuff, but the atomsphere in Pinchot Hall can't be beat. Bad part is the weight room in Pinchot is closed during the summers since it's run by students, and there probably isn't going to be any classes that you'll have that will be close to there, it's sort of out of the way, ......it's possibly, usually, to park there........but after 5, (unless they've changed things in the past couple years, which is possible).

Also, there's an O-lifting place up there that was just set up since I got out in Aug. of 03. www.victorysportsperformance.com/ The rest of the places up there, to my knowledge are all fitness type places.

I'll ask around to see about Carneige Mellon. I'm actually in Pittsburgh now, but not near there, but some of my friends went to Pitt, not that far away from Carneige Mellon, so I'll ask some of them to see if there's anything decent near the campus.

My bad on the double post guys when I get tired I tend to muck things up. Velkar I didn't realize your from Pittsburgh when I first posted, you probably know more about the gyms in the area than me. I moved here in August, the gym I go to isn't too bad, but probably a hike for you. I live in Monroeville, and have to travel 15 minutes east to get to the gym I go to.

boxingbean is offline Senior Member
    universities have to have tite gyms considering the athletics

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    i train at a ballys its near pittsburgh and cmu...suprisingly for a ballys it has alot of hardcore lifters, and strongmen...a couple which have competed in Worlds strongest men contests in the mid 90's...it sounds funny cause its ballys...but im telling you...

Wow, that Balley's hard core lifters. I would have never thought in a million years. I thought of joining there, but b/c of it being Bally's,.......and reading about all the crap the company has gone through with the Better Business Bureau,.....wow , I just never would have thought, cool to know though.

Right now I take a little jaunt myself to ACP, athletic club penn, Penn Township, btwn Murrysville and Harrison City, it's a cool gym the guy that runs it used to do a lot of strongmen comps, and thus has some different equipment........ a little out of the way for you though........thought I was going to see my friends to night, ......was going to ask them about that.............but I stayed the whole night at the marathon Pirates game.

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    I guess I got it good. Im at the Univ Of Alabama we have a mono and a few hundered kilos of rubberized weights. But if you go to the regular student rec center you will not find an area for powerlifting its all hammer strenght, and I hate that stuff. Plus you cant throw, or drop weight and chalk is out of the question, oh to be back at birmingham barbell........ that was a little slice of powerlifter heaven.

I trained temporarily at Pitt, but there are too many chumps there in the gym and the only have 120's in dbs. There equipment is prettier than it is useful. Fitzgerald FH has decent stuff but access is problem. A coach has to be around. When Pitt had a PL "team" Bellfield had a bunch of cool stuff but they moved it out. I have looked around CMU but no one seems to lift much there. The YMCA in town is where I had lifted for about 5 years but I out grew their db and equipment, plus the charge you more than a decent gym.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdawg21
    I guess I got it good. Im at the Univ Of Alabama we have a mono and a few hundered kilos of rubberized weights. But if you go to the regular student rec center you will not find an area for powerlifting its all hammer strenght, and I hate that stuff. Plus you cant throw, or drop weight and chalk is out of the question, oh to be back at birmingham barbell........ that was a little slice of powerlifter heaven.

i hate rubber weights

me too! The only thing their good for is an outdoor gym so idiots don't bust them up on the concrete. Other than that girls like them so bc they have handles and they won't break any nails.

velkar, dont worry about the dumbells, i myself found that doing ore flat presses, board presses closegip and lockout work did more for my press than dumbells ever did. it is nice to have the luxury of having the heavy dbelss, but not really a necessity, i would rather lift in a hard core gym that only had 100lbs dbells than a fitness gym that had 150lb dbells, atmosphere makes or breaks the athlete

I really don't care about db for the bench Doc. I think db are only good for hi reps and maybe stablizers on the bench. I need db for other things like rows and crap. I think a goal in my life is to make the most kick ass gym ever with everything anyone could ever need to powerlift, body build or prepare for any strength sport. Now that is sweet!.

Velkar,

I hear ya on that man, my engineering friends always tell me that once they make it big that we'll open a gym, they'll run it and I'll buy all cool stuff that even the serious gyms are lacking, haha. Too bad we'd probably go bankrupt b/c there's not a lot of money when your target market is pple like us vs. all the house wives out there.

I myself like the heavier dbells, (and my power hooks - life savers), b/c I seem to always be on the verge of getting some kind of "itis" -tendonitis, bursitis, etc. b/c too long on barbells makes my body sort of go weird b/c of being locked into a slightly unnatural movement pattern, my smaller joints probably don't help matters.

Have you ever checked out the Exc. Warehouse in Bloomfield, just past the Bloomfiled bridge on the left hand side. It's sort of close to CMU, I've never been in there though, so I don't know how good it is.

I heard it is pretty good. I live in the exact opposite direction from campus so I've never been there. I heard it is over priced like hell. When Coleman, Cutler and Schlierkamp were in town, they said they lifted over there. But I am not sure what they got for PLer's (bands, chains and all the other goodies that santa brings) I am not sure what they got, but if would probably be profiable to give her a look. I am not trying to pay a crap load for a stinking gym I consider decent, ya know what I mean?

kdawg21 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=mwolffey]i hate rubber weights[/QUOT

I guess I wasn't too clear on this, the rubberized weights are measured out in Kilos and they are for cleans and snatches, the rest of them are the old standard.

Thread Information