Tommy Gunn is offline Member

3 questions concerning deadlifts

I asked this question on another board as well but I figured you guys could help too.

I just started deadlifting 3 weeks ago and I have 3 questions.

1) Is it better to do deads on back day or leg day? I squat (and do legs) on tues. and I do deads (and back on fri.). Is that ok?

2) Do you guys go to failure on deadlifts or do you just try to hit a certain rep?

3) What would be a better rep scheme for deadlifts, 4x5 (increasing weight each set)...or 10,8,6,4 (increasing weight each set)?

Thanks fellas.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    wow tommy you are a rookie. you can deadlift on leg day or back.probably better off doing it not on your squat day. NEVER DEAD TO FAILURE!!!no hypertrophy training for strength!!!!. 5 set of 5 reps and then maybe 3 of 3 later in your program will work.i wouldn't do anymore reps on the dead then 5 reps, and i know many powerlifters that only use 1 rep set to train the dead.they just do a fcuk load of sets. use percentages55% to 75% use 5 reps 80 to 90 % 3repsand 90%to 100% use singles. this isn't written in stone,just a suggestion.

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    Thanks Doc.

So you don't suggest using the 10,8,6,4 rep scheme for deads?

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to do deads on "back day"... all my working sets consist of triples, doubles, or singles... your suggested rep scheme looks more like a warm up to me... and that's OK, that may be good enough for you now... but will not work for long. just remember to get your form right first, get your conditioning up, then go heavy for about 3-5 sets. good luck lifting!

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    That's an interesting set of questions, but I am concerned that your workout reflects a bodybuilders workout. Something I think people missed on this thread is that doing squat and deadlift the same day is not the same as training for the deadlift on squat day. West Side does their deadlift training the same day that they squat, but they don't do deadlifts. In my experience, properly training on squat day and doing deadlifts will ****ing burn your CNS for days. If your brain isn't frying then you didn't train one of them correctly. I periodize my workouts such that for two weeks I deadlift on separate days than squat, and then for two weeks I do West Side style of training. The other thing is that unless you are a strongman competitor, you might not want to do more than 5 reps. I am not even sure bodybuilders would reap much benefit from doing it. One other thing is that you may want to switch your dealift styles in training from sumo, to conventional to romainian to rack deadlifts and so on. The name of the game is stress the muscles in ways they aren't familiar. That is why it is not always necessary to train psycho heavy everyday. Change the routine everytime.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    Thanks Doc.

So you don't suggest using the 10,8,6,4 rep scheme for deads?
    I can tell you from experience that you should never go over 5 reps. The plain and simple is your back can't handle it and even if it could you won't get any benefit from it. Proper warm up (still 5 reps) is essential for the back also.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    wow tommy you are a rookie. you can deadlift on leg day or back.probably better off doing it not on your squat day. NEVER DEAD TO FAILURE!!!no hypertrophy training for strength!!!!. 5 set of 5 reps and then maybe 3 of 3 later in your program will work.i wouldn't do anymore reps on the dead then 5 reps, and i know many powerlifters that only use 1 rep set to train the dead.they just do a fcuk load of sets. use percentages55% to 75% use 5 reps 80 to 90 % 3repsand 90%to 100% use singles. this isn't written in stone,just a suggestion.
    Good advice.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Good advice.
    thanks mike!!yes throw out that rep scheme. and as far as westside methods, this guy is begining dont throw curve balls at him like westside training now Velkar!!!! he needs experience pulling not f'n around with good morning and zercher squats!! alot of great lifters dead once a wk and dont have a CNS overload. ed coan, cap kirk, sgt. Rock, garry frank,brent mikesell, tom eiseman, the list goes on and on. notice west side deadlifters aren't all that great at deadlifting. they are all average with the exception of chuck V. stear clear from westside if you are begining, look into it when more advanced

Thread Information