Velkar182 is offline Banned

Insane russian workout

I am being trained by two guys, one is an ex-Philly Eagle strength coach and the other is a known name in powerlifting, so I trust what they tell me to do, but this workout that they have developed for me is insane. My next competition is in March 2006, so I have time to do the cycle once before I have to decide my plan of approach for March. I am really looking to peak hardcore! The routine starts with two weeks of assistance training in preparation. Then the 12 week routine starts. It is a series of 2 micro, 2 meso and 1 macro cycle. This insane cycle involves 4-8 bench workouts a week, 3 deadlift workouts, which make a transition from conventional to sumo, by the end, and 3-4 squat routines a week. I have never heard of such a thing, infact many people say I am stupid for using the Bulgarian cycle, which consists of a Westside like ME/DE and a crap load of assistance training with a total of 10 workouts a week.
    The reasoning behind this Russian type of routine is to maximize myofibril break down and restoration, Testosterone output (45 minute workouts), ATP cylce, and it is supposed to prepare my CNS for the insanity ahead. At about week 5 the intensities are crazy, one workout requires 4 sets of 2-3 reps @ 95% of my initial max. The routine as a whole looks like a sick twist between reactive training, wave training with a bit of plyometrics. Is this foolishness, or should I just do it.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Sounds like overtraining. Try it tho, and if it doesn't work go onto something else. I am sure you know this, but for any 'newbies' out there, there is no 'secret' routine or training cycle. the best routines are ones you design yourself after years of trial and error with your own body. The only thing to remember is change it up every so often, change reps, sets, exercises.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    you would have to be (in my humble opinion) an extremely dialed in athlete to even consider that training regimen... with your GPP thru the roof... but with that being said overtraining looks inevitable.

I believe confusing the muscle is the way to keep growing, ie changing set, repsamd so on. But I noticed some of the guys from the Russian Federation are on similarly insane workouts. I was told I don't need to be juiced up to do this, but I'd imagine guys at their level are. The other thing is I never deadlift for more than five weeks. I usually cycle in and out of GoodMornings and things like that. I have noticed that the Bulgarian routine did crazy things for me, so I'll probably give this a try. If my CNS fries, then I guess I'll ditch it. The other thing is that I read a couple of papers by phd candidates in physiology and others areas that advocate CNS progressive workouts. I question anyone's ability to perform this workout for more than a couple of weeks.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    I believe confusing the muscle is the way to keep growing, ie changing set, repsamd so on. But I noticed some of the guys from the Russian Federation are on similarly insane workouts. I was told I don't need to be juiced up to do this, but I'd imagine guys at their level are. The other thing is I never deadlift for more than five weeks. I usually cycle in and out of GoodMornings and things like that. I have noticed that the Bulgarian routine did crazy things for me, so I'll probably give this a try. If my CNS fries, then I guess I'll ditch it. The other thing is that I read a couple of papers by phd candidates in physiology and others areas that advocate CNS progressive workouts. I question anyone's ability to perform this workout for more than a couple of weeks.
    You make some good points. I could never get away with that much volume. my best results have come from training the 3 lifts once a week. at times I will only train 3 days a week. it seems so much different from when I started training about 15 years ago where more was better... I am now a believer in less is more... and some of that I guess is not by choice my body simply demands it.

When I first started training 7 years ago I did bodybuilding types of workouts three days a week. I progressed into powerlifting 3 days a week and then added GPP for a total of 6 workouts a week. I have always trained with great intensity, but apparently that's not the thing to do as I found these past two years. @ 17yo 160 lbs I was constantly using 85-95% of max on the bench and I was stuck for 6 months at a 300 lbs press. The thing about this particular routine is the number of workouts with given intensitys (i mean with regard to percentages). I am being told over and over that 65-80% and cycling in and out 0f 85-97% using reactive and wave methods is the way to go. Everything about this workout, as far as I can tell, is scientific and supported by some knowledgable group of people.

Thread Information