Fr3ak is offline New Member

box squat height?

im interested in trying some box squats. mainly because i wanna make sure i get the depth i need. is there a specific site with a calculator which would give you a box height for how tall you are. i did sets today with a 13.5" box and im 5'10ish. my legs looked 90deg but im just wanting to make sure.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    [QUOTE=Fr3ak]i fcked

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    im interested in trying some box squats. mainly because i wanna make sure i get the depth i need. is there a specific site with a calculator which would give you a box height for how tall you are. i did sets today with a 13.5" box and im 5'10ish. my legs looked 90deg but im just wanting to make sure.
    if you purpose is to make sure you are going below parallel, a 13inch to 12inch would be my choice. i am 5'10 as well. 13.5 may be to high. look at you depth in a mirror while sitting on the boxes. make sure you r a little below parallel. also you can do much higher box squats as a different auxillary. great way to get used to heavier weights. also squat lockouts. but for you purpose 13.5 is probably really close. if you don'tplan on competeing , than 13.5 will work

Fr3ak is offline New Member
    im not goin to rule out competing, so id like 90deg or little lower. without the box i used today i was doin 405 for reps, today on a 13.5" box i was doin 225 for reps. if i have to start from scratch thas fine, i just want to make sure im doin it right. ill try 12.5" next leg day...thanks a ton Doc

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    The best thing to do is to measure and assess the depth without weight on your back. I ALWAYS change up my box squat height during training cycles. I tend to go big time deep. Going as low as you can while still properly performing the box squat is something you should consider. Doing this took me from a 608 two Decembers ago to an easy 675 this past March. It makes you FIRE!! out of the hole. Give it a try. As far as height, my just below parallel is 11.5'' to 12'' and I am 5'8.5''.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I've seen guys do 1000lb box squats. What are they using that can support that much. I am doing in the upper 5's to lower 6's and I am worried about my box breaking. Does any one have a suggestion for making or using something for a box at a heavier weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    I've seen guys do 1000lb box squats. What are they using that can support that much. I am doing in the upper 5's to lower 6's and I am worried about my box breaking. Does any one have a suggestion for making or using something for a box at a heavier weight?
    make them with solid wood, and not hollow boxes. yep it wil cost more but you have nothing to worry about. i made 2 6inch boxes, 2 2inch boxed and 2 1 inch boxes and theywork fine for various heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak
    im not goin to rule out competing, so id like 90deg or little lower. without the box i used today i was doin 405 for reps, today on a 13.5" box i was doin 225 for reps. if i have to start from scratch thas fine, i just want to make sure im doin it right. ill try 12.5" next leg day...thanks a ton Doc
    make sure you are below 90 degress and sit on the boxes. glad i could help

Thread Information