power65 is offline Associate Member

Monolift Controversy

OK. I guess I'm going to be hated for this thread too, but what does everyone think about using the Monolift for squats? Here's what I'm saying. One of the biggest factors in a successful squat is setting up properly. That means getting a good clean walkout, setting up your feet correctly, and preparing for the lift. I've judged for years in several different organizations and that has always been a major factor in the squat. Just one of the three factors in a successful squat. There has always been guys that could squat more, but they might have had a hard time setting up the lift. You had to be that much stronger to take the weight out of the rack, take a few steps back with it, set-up, and lift. The Monolift has changed all that. Yes I know it it safer, but it has also removed one the the hardest elements of squating; ie, THE SET UP. I mean taking walking steps backwards with 800,900, 1000+ on your back is hard as hell, forget squating it. It's hard to control that much weight. Now all you have to do is position yourself however you want, get under the bar, the hooks swing away, you squat, and then the hooks are put back in place. Yes I know you still have to lift the weight, but don't you think a major element of squating has been simplified????? This thread may upset some, but here again I'm not out to piss people off. I'm just trying to get you all thinking. Remember, inorder to think clearly we have to leave the egos at home and think clearly. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK????

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    I guess I am kind of split on the monolift. On one hand you can say that the lifter is only doing half of the lift cause he is not having to walk out and set up the squat and on the other hand you can make the argument that using the monolift is no different than getting a hand off in the bench press. I like the monolift but watching someone walk out with a huge load on they're back, squat it and then rack it is very impressive. What do you guys think?

http://www.irongame.com/videos/[email protected]

Yes this is true. Using the Monolift is No Different that someone giving you a hand off on the bench, but the thing about this is that we have always had handoffs on the bench press and people of the past have always had to walk out with their squats. I'm not knocking the Monolift...My Point was....it's not the same as having to set up a heavy squat. Face it everyone...it is easier. Not taking anything from the lift it self, but it does make the whole process of squating much easier.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    it is evolution of the sport, it is safer , it allows for bigger numbers and isn't that what we all want? to be better than those before us, always respect tem but you have to change with the times. i say use everything that gives you the best advantage,monolift , double denim if you fed. alows them whatever. organizations(USAPL) that don't all allow monolifts are ridiculous. they are like the amish people stuck in time. move forward, use technology.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I think the monolift is a clever invention. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have one, so I always have to walk back anyway.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I am a strong man competitor and I can walk with 200 pounds more weight than I can squat. I train walking with big poundages in a contraption that looks like the parallel bars used by olympic men's gymnasts. However, my training partner, also powerlifter and strong man competitor took a spill walking the weight. It was an unnecessary injury and I am convince that the MRI is going to come back with bad things to say. Walking forward with big weight is one thing, but backwards...now that's dangerous. And by the way, for those of you who are history buffs, I'd like you to take notice that many of the big squats pre-monolift era were done with someone pulling the squat rack forward and then replacing it after the lift. Dr. Squat did it. By the way, it is called the "squat", not the "try to walk backwards with crap load of weight on your back and potentially having 3 times your body weight fall on you!" If you like walking weight knock yourself out and become a strong man competitor. As for the rest of us, we powerlift.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I can understand the argument on both sides of this one... but this is where the evolution of the sport has taken us, If I had to complain about anything the bench shirt would be on the top of my list. I have been competing for a few years now and my squat has gone up a few hundred pounds (using a conventional squat rack) and I am to the point now that I wish I had a monolift. Luckily for me and my crew one is on order and should be here within the week... just in time to get about 6 weeks of use on it before my next contest... and I really can't wait. To this point my worst injury lifting (and I'm still dealing with it) is a lower back injury due to walking out with 805... I'm convinced with a monolift I wouldn't of injured myself and still be hurting a bit to this day... I say bring on the monolift!

yeah monolift!!!!!!!!!

You guys have all made some very good points. Many points I had not considered. Like I stated earlier, I wasn't knocking the Monolift. The point I was trying to make was more in the defense for some of the old records. I do agree however that the Monolift is much much safer and can prevent injury. I have used one in a couple of meets and it was nice not having to walk the weight out. Thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by power65
    You guys have all made some very good points. Many points I had not considered. Like I stated earlier, I wasn't knocking the Monolift. The point I was trying to make was more in the defense for some of the old records. I do agree however that the Monolift is much much safer and can prevent injury. I have used one in a couple of meets and it was nice not having to walk the weight out. Thank you all for your input.
    I agree that we should defend the old records... sh*t if they had the equipment we have today I believe many of us would be humbled... imagine Bill Kazmier with a modern day bench shirt or monolift... I'm not sure anyone today would touch him... I believe he could of broke 3000 with our modern gear.

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    I agree that we should defend the old records... sh*t if they had the equipment we have today I believe many of us would be humbled... imagine Bill Kazmier with a modern day bench shirt or monolift... I'm not sure anyone today would touch him... I believe he could of broke 3000 with our modern gear.
    got to progress with time, or we face extinction. rcords are made to be broken, rules and equipment are meant to evolve. it happens in all sports, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    got to progress with time, or we face extinction. rcords are made to be broken, rules and equipment are meant to evolve. it happens in all sports, all the time
    yep, no doubt about that... I guess when it comes to gear a good attitude to have is... "if you can't beat 'em join 'em"...

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    yep, no doubt about that... I guess when it comes to gear a good attitude to have is... "if you can't beat 'em join 'em"...
    i hate the gear, but you have to play to pay. i still enjoy the raw meets the best, but when i did raw i ranked in the top 100 in my weight class at number 99. that is really good for a raw number BUT i new if i ever wanted to be or try to compete with the big dogs of this sport i would have to put on the equipment. i wish it wasn't this way. singleply double ply, f them all!!! itwould be better raw but we can't change the way or the dirrection the sport is going.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    monolifts rox I wish I had one in my gym

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    I have competed with the Monolift and still had to walk back to set up. I guess you would have to use it all the time to get used to it, but you cant just use it in a meet. As far as new PL equipment, it is all a pain and I dont think I like it, but use it to compete with everyone else. Bench shirts are the worst to put on and use and are the biggest help, they can add a lot to your bench, but it takes several people to put it on and is just a pain. After all that I still use it.

wrestler152 is offline Associate Member
    i do like the monolift. ALthough i would have to agree that my back is not strong enough to hold lots of weight to walk back. I have plenty of leg power but i always almost fall down doing heavy squats walking out. agree with rjstrong. It is evolution of the sport. Just like baseball players hitting the ball farther with different equipment, race car drivers setting records with faster cars and more technology, etc. There is no difference. Good for the sport overall. people want big numbers like people want faster cars and more homeruns

Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    I have competed with the Monolift and still had to walk back to set up. I guess you would have to use it all the time to get used to it, but you cant just use it in a meet. As far as new PL equipment, it is all a pain and I dont think I like it, but use it to compete with everyone else. Bench shirts are the worst to put on and use and are the biggest help, they can add a lot to your bench, but it takes several people to put it on and is just a pain. After all that I still use it.
    not true! i don't have acess to a monolift in training, and at meets i am just fine. it is in your head you don't have to walk back, What is so hard about setting your feet in position and standing up???it is not something to learn, it is something you just do. the first meet i wen to with a monolift i practiced with just the bar at my rack height for 2 minutes and i was in bussines. it is that easy.

Thread Information