Thread: heavy singles!

RJstrong is offline Senior Member

heavy singles!

the question I would like to ask... is how often do you train using heavy singles, and in particular how often do you use them in preparation for a meet?

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I really think it depends on how much you bench. I've talked to guys who have big benches that curse using big singles more than twice before a meet. I personally use them almost every other week, but in reality about 5 workouts in a 12 week preparation. I do know that when I was 18 my body could handle throughing them in almost weekly. But as I said, 5 years later and 300 bp pounds later things are different. I think the CNS gets fried easier at bigger weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    I really think it depends on how much you bench. I've talked to guys who have big benches that curse using big singles more than twice before a meet. I personally use them almost every other week, but in reality about 5 workouts in a 12 week preparation. I do know that when I was 18 my body could handle throughing them in almost weekly. But as I said, 5 years later and 300 bp pounds later things are different. I think the CNS gets fried easier at bigger weights.
    agreed... I felt like I overtrained by doing too many heavy singles on the bench for my last meet... I am 7 weeks out right now and havn't done a heavy single yet (in all 3 lifts) I feel stronger than ever and noticed my recovery seems a bit better... I've been hitting PR's with triples and doubles and I think it's working.

redmango is offline Junior Member
    how many sets and what weight do u guys use on heavy single days?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by redmango
    Just a couple warm up sets of 5-8 reps with 60kgs then take big jumps with 3 reps. Then just hit your single. If you bench 140kgs then you might do this:

1 set 60kgsx6
    1 set 60kgsx5
    -------------------
    1 set 90kgsx3
    1 set 110kgsx3

then go for 140kg

You shouldn't do singles too often so this definently isnt a common routine.

Quote Originally Posted by redmango
    I hit them similar to a meet scenerio at 90%-100% of my max for 3 sets... I just went overboard with it in preparing for my last meet. I was trying to break in a new bench shirt... but I ended up almost breaking myself instead...

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    3- 4 wks out. i use 80 to 85% if raw, and 90 to 100% with equipment. no more than 4 wks, your cns will be crushed.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    When I do my heavy singles I think it is tougher on the CNS to throw down 80% of raw max and up, right after warming up. I think the idea of west side training recognizes this and allows your body to adjust to weights as you increase with three reps, then move into heavy singles. I definitely do not do more than 10 sets on the bench during preparation. Instead, keep track of your last numbers on triples and singles and beat it on the next work out. I think you'll find that this is a CNS preparing approach to competition training. The other thing is that working tendons and ingored muscle alot 4 weeks out will be beneficial to your competition bench. I know by throwing in rotator cuff movements on pulleys and things like that gave me an incredible feeling of control and stability over the bar. LAst year when I hoped to break 500 on the bench, which I expected to be possibly out of the question, I ended up pushing a load more.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Velkar182
    When I do my heavy singles I think it is tougher on the CNS to throw down 80% of raw max and up, right after warming up. I think the idea of west side training recognizes this and allows your body to adjust to weights as you increase with three reps, then move into heavy singles. I definitely do not do more than 10 sets on the bench during preparation. Instead, keep track of your last numbers on triples and singles and beat it on the next work out. I think you'll find that this is a CNS preparing approach to competition training. The other thing is that working tendons and ingored muscle alot 4 weeks out will be beneficial to your competition bench. I know by throwing in rotator cuff movements on pulleys and things like that gave me an incredible feeling of control and stability over the bar. LAst year when I hoped to break 500 on the bench, which I expected to be possibly out of the question, I ended up pushing a load more.
    agred. 80% of raw max is much tougher than doing 90% of suited max with equipment. IMO. that is whyraw lifters have to modify there programs. most programs we all read about our set for equipped lifters. good idea is to drop all the percentages by 10-15% and then youu are in bussiness!!

Thread Information