operationgetbig is offline Senior Member

deadlifting and your shins

today was the first time i deadlifed and my shins were red as **** afterwards...the bar is supposed to rub up against your shins when u deadlift right?...i guess i need to work on my shin calus's now...for my first time deadlifting i didnt go too heavy cause i dont wanna take the chance of injurying myself but am looking forward to doing it again next week...im making it regular exercise in my routine...i ended with 315 for 4 reps with a belt and no straps,,,do these numbers sound ok for my first try....im 5'9" 195lbs...training for about 2 years

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by operationgetbig
    today was the first time i deadlifed and my shins were red as **** afterwards...the bar is supposed to rub up against your shins when u deadlift right?...i guess i need to work on my shin calus's now...for my first time deadlifting i didnt go too heavy cause i dont wanna take the chance of injurying myself but am looking forward to doing it again next week...im making it regular exercise in my routine...i ended with 315 for 4 reps with a belt and no straps,,,do these numbers sound ok for my first try....im 5'9" 195lbs...training for about 2 years
    Some guys use oil, baby powder, shave, and/or tape their shins. If you use oil or powder to reduce friction be very careful to not get it on your hands or your grip will be worthless.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you found a new favorite exercise. get used to the banged up shins... between me and my crew someone is always bleeding... besides that's a sign of a good starting position. keep with it not many exercises pay dividends like deadlifting.

operationgetbig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    sounds like you found a new favorite exercise. get used to the banged up shins... between me and my crew someone is always bleeding... besides that's a sign of a good starting position. keep with it not many exercises pay dividends like deadlifting.
    i jus did a front double bicep shot in the mirror and got new veins near my right arm pit on my lat...i cant wait till i see crazy changes...looking to get a more fuller thicker back by incorperating deadlifts...im gonna add barbell rows into my routine more often too...i've been training like a bodybuilder for the past 2 years but am wanting to train more for power now
    Last edited by operationgetbig; 04-12-2007 at 10:53 AM.

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    Our group has always worn long socks to eliminate the bleeding from pulling DLs. You need to keep bar as close to shins as possible and that leads to scraping the shins. Before wearing socks my shins were always red and bleeding, never developed a callus. Dls are great exercise, good form is crucial to lifting heavy.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    socks = friction. just use some baby powder and if you get cut so be it, it is part of the sport.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    One way to get away from the bleeding shin problem is to do sumo deadlifts. If you are not a competitive powerlifter this will work. But if you are then there is no way around it because even if you compete with a sumo deadlift, you should train with both conventional and sumo.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i do sumo and i get gets on my legs EVERY work out! conventinal is worse, but sumo, it still happens

Thread Information