powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

Training routine theory?

When training for max strength for powerlifting is the best way to train by doing cycles with dead, back squat, front squat, and bench meaning project max and work on %s until you reach it, but everything else biceps, tricep work, push press keep reps low but go as heavy as possible every time (ie no progressive cycle for non-competition exercises)?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    When training for max strength for powerlifting is the best way to train by doing cycles with dead, back squat, front squat, and bench meaning project max and work on %s until you reach it, but everything else biceps, tricep work, push press keep reps low but go as heavy as possible every time (ie no progressive cycle for non-competition exercises)?
    i wouldn't go as heavy as i could all the time, but there is no veed to use a projected max or percentages for lat pulldowns. when your core lifts are light, lift auxiallaried light with more reps, as you lift heavy , increase the weight and cut out llauxilaries 3-3 wks before maxing, in theory sure you can use prcentages for anything, but it would become a monotonus project and chances are it would lead to overtraing the minor muscles since you are treatiing them like a major group.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    If you are applying the reactive method or wave training the only option is to use percentages or else your CNS will suffer adversely. It is important to progressively increase your CNS stimulation, so going as heavy as you can will fry your circuitry. I have taken my deadlift from 600 pounds 13 months ago to 775 (w/ straps) by using Ed Coan and Phillipi's reactive Dl training, which was adjusted for me by my coaches.
    One bit of advice I can probably help you out with is assistance excerises. A guy in Wisconsin @ Madison did research that showed that putting mini cycles in the assistance workouts stimulates strength perpetuation, but even more, stimulates muscle growth and volume capacity of the muscle by stimulating glycogen storage in the muscle (and I think the liver). I have been doing such mini cycles for three years old and I have absolute cannons and I only train biceps once or twice a month.
    How the mini cycle works is like this: the first time you do an assistance workout, do a ridiculous volume and kill yourself with really light weight, say 10-15 sets and a total of 200-300 reps. then move into moderate weights the next workout doing 9 sets with about 90 reps. By the end of the cycle you will be doing 8 sets with heavy weight for about 32 reps. You can adjust the workouts to suit you, but just keep cycling around, until you are four weeks out and then stop the cycle. Get back to GPP where at a couple of weeks to 1 and 1/2 weeks you cut out assistance.

Thread Information