Erwin is offline Associate Member

Basic newbie question

The other day I decided that I need to get away from training individual bodyparts and do power training for the next few months. My goals are to get my bench and squat 1RM up and overall strength increased. I have been training with a bodybuilder approach for the last year and a half and have seen good results but want to get to basics and raw strength to increase my core. My question is this, which training routine would I benefit more from as a new guy? I like the looks of the 5X5 but not sure if the 3X3 would be better starting out. Current stats are 5"11 205lbs @12%bf. I currently train 5-6 days a week doing one bodypart per workout. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Is it common for threads to sit so long without any replies in this forum? Or should I just change the subject title?

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    5 to 6 days a week??? overtraining bro....try this

day 1: train
    day 2: train
    Day 3: off
    Day 4: train
    Day 5: train
    Day 6: off
    Day 7: off or repeat

bigworm84 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfyEVH
    5 to 6 days a week??? overtraining bro....try this

day 1: train
    day 2: train
    Day 3: off
    Day 4: train
    Day 5: train
    Day 6: off
    Day 7: off or repeat
    Thats what i do right now and its working out for me alot better then when i used to train for 5 days and it seemed like that it was too much.

i train 5 to 6 days a week and am done with my routine in like 30 minutes or less. only one body part a day. also my days are not always 5 or 6 in a row. I don't have a job that allows that. anyways, I am just wanting to know what split and routine would be best when introducing your body to power training. Such as:
    Day1
    Squats and legs
    Day2
    Chest and tri's
    Day3
    Deadlifts and lats
    Day4
    Rest
    thank you
    Last edited by Erwin; 11-10-2005 at 09:20 PM.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    here is a simplified run down of my training split...
    Mon: squat
    Tues: off
    Wed: off (nice to have 2 days off from squats to help shoulder {rotator cuff} recover before benching... if not now you will understand later as you train heavier)
    Thur: bench
    Fri: deads
    Sat: arms (centered around close grip bench)
    Sun: off
    I normally throw in 1-2 assistant exercises and gradually stop any assistant work as the meet draws closer... here is a few examples of assistant exercises I may use: good mornings, lock outs, hypers, jm presses. I typically throw in abs and calves 2-3 times a week. I like to change things up using bands and chains. I typically do all my work sets at 1-3 reps always pushing heavy weights until the body tells me otherwise. I hope this helps a bit, good luck and lift big!
    Last edited by RJstrong; 11-11-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks RJ, planning on training this way for a few months and then going back to bodybuilding routines. Still trying to do my research and thanks again.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    Thanks RJ, planning on training this way for a few months and then going back to bodybuilding routines. Still trying to do my research and thanks again.
    No problem... I think you will find what your looking for by changing your training style up... once again good luck and lift big!

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    here is a simplified run down of my training split...
    Mon: squat
    Tues: off
    Wed: off (nice to have 2 days off from squats to help shoulder {rotator cuff} recover before benching... if not now you will understand later as you train heavier)
    Thur: bench
    Fri: deads
    Sat: arms (centered around close grip bench)
    Sun: off
    I normally throw in 1-2 assistant exercises and gradually stop any assistant work as the meet draws closer... here is a few examples of assistant exercises I may use: good mornings, lock outs, hypers, jm presses. I typically throw in abs and calves 2-3 times a week. I like to change things up using bands and chains. I typically do all my work sets at 1-3 reps always pushing heavy weights until the body tells me otherwise. I hope this helps a bit, good luck and lift big!
    This is good plan. Remember the big difference between BB and PL exercises is the amount of weight lifted and rest required between workouts. In PL you will lift heavy and your body will need more rest between sets and workouts. Try this out and you will notice a difference. Your joints will need the time to recuperate between workouts. If you are lifting as heavy as you should then recovery is key. Maybe I overstressed the rest thing, Ha Good Luck

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    You should try a westside routine. Its probably alot different from anything you have ever done so it will defenetly shock your body.

So I tried the deadlift today. Ouch! I must shamefully say that I have not incorporated them into a routine before now. I seem to be bending at the waist when I put the weight back down. So you can imagine what my lower back feels like tonight. Any suggestions on proper way to return the wieght to the start position? I have a couple of guys who have competed before who are going to work with me in a few days but would love you guy's input as well. Also should I use a one palm out and one in grip on the bar? thanks

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    So I tried the deadlift today. Ouch! I must shamefully say that I have not incorporated them into a routine before now. I seem to be bending at the waist when I put the weight back down. So you can imagine what my lower back feels like tonight. Any suggestions on proper way to return the wieght to the start position? I have a couple of guys who have competed before who are going to work with me in a few days but would love you guy's input as well. Also should I use a one palm out and one in grip on the bar? thanks
    Be careful, when returning bar to ground keep in same grove as you went up, close to body and back as straight as possible, definitely alternate hands, it will help keep bar from rolling in hands. Look up the info from Westside, they have some pretty good info. Lift heavy but good form is important when you start handling heavy weight. Your back will definitely be sore tomorrow. Good Luck tying your shoes in the morning. Ha

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    use the alternating grip. work on your form, try both conventional and sumo forms .also deadlift in wrestling shoes or slippers, or even socks. don't wear sneakers! you increse your travel distance when wearing sneakers.

Update

This is for the new guys like me who are looking for info in this forum. I tried DL for the first time last week and pulled my lower back. I was out of the gym for 4 days over it and was kicking myself the whole time. Todya I went in and did DL again. This time with a guy who actually knows something about power moves. He had me do a sumo stance and pick out an object that was just above my eyeline when standing in front of the bar. With my feet out wider than my hands on the bar and staying focused on my spot on the wall I started up and reallized that now came the part that killed me last week. WOW! Absolutely no pull in my lower back and everything went smooth as butter. What a difference actually knowing what you are doing makes. Thanks for the input on this guys and the wrestling shoes I have were way more comfortable than my tennis shoes. Thanks again and this has become my new favorite forum.

Thread Information