D9S0M is offline Associate Member

Are These Good Shoes For Squatting?

I been squating in my nikes and yea they suck..Tonite i was squating and i said let me take off my shoes so i did and WOW wat a diff i had bettter form,balance,and it felt like i could lift a lil more,so i was wondering if thses shoes are any good for squatting thanks guys..

http://www.pitbullclothing.com/index...ROD&ProdID=396

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    http://www.titansupport.com/products/shoes/shoes.htm

try this, squat shoes must have solid support, any shoes that are for fitness, cross training etc will not give support for squats.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    http://www.titansupport.com/products/shoes/shoes.htm

try this, squat shoes must have solid support, any shoes that are for fitness, cross training etc will not give support for squats.

really,cuz a few ppl said wrestling shoes were good also
    Last edited by D9S0M; 12-02-2005 at 07:43 PM.

wrestling shoes are great for Deadlifting but i have found them too flimsy for squats imo

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    come on man... go old school and get some chuck taylors!

yea i was loooking @ those too..do u have them?

Hey we started with Chuck Taylors before Nike was ever around. They have solid soles with good support, guess i have just been spoiled by the new stuff out there. I may see if i can find my 30 year old CTs and see if they still have any life left.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    Alot of people use chuck taylors I just use my metallic blue wrestling shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    Alot of people use chuck taylors I just use my metallic blue wrestling shoes

do they work good?

power65 is offline Associate Member
    Wrestling shoes suck for squats. They are great for deadlifting, but unless you want to lose your balance or dump the bar over your head I wouldn't squat in them. I tight combat style boots, but Inzer and Titan both make really good squat shoes. You want support in your heal for squating. You don't want to be flat footed.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by power65
    Wrestling shoes suck for squats. They are great for deadlifting, but unless you want to lose your balance or dump the bar over your head I wouldn't squat in them. I tight combat style boots, but Inzer and Titan both make really good squat shoes. You want support in your heal for squating. You don't want to be flat footed.
    couldn't agrre more chucks for squating, wrestleing shoes for dead.

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    really,cuz a few ppl said wrestling shoes were good also
    They're similar, but they don't support or pad like lifting shoes.

Go for any shoe that is flat on the bottom - Chuck Taylors, some types of Vans, or even a few skateboard shoes.

If you're a big, >600lb, squatter, I'd go with lifting shoes. If not, go with what's comfortable.

The reason why wrestling shoes and very flat shoes aren't good for squating is because they leave you on the heals of your feet. You want to be able to transfer the weight some to the balls of your feet when squating. This helps keep the bar in perfect line while going up. If you're on your heals then the bar will tend to be sitting too far back....so what happens is you try to shift that weight by leaning forward and then before you know it you've gone too far and the bar is now out of control rolling over the top of your neck. I know this may be hard to understand but it's true. You also don't want to squat in wrestling shoes or any type of canvas shoes because they don't offer enough support to the "Sides" of your feet during the lift. If you're wearing canvas or soft material shoes your feet can shift and actually fall off the side of the sole of the shoe during the lift. This can lead to rolling your ankle and all kinds of problems. That's why good stiff leather type of shoes are ideal for squating. That's why all squat shoes are made of a very hard leather type of material. Shoes designed to be light weight are not ideal for squating. Examples: Running Shoes, Cross training shoes, wrestling shoes, skate boarding shoes, etc. are not "Good" squating shoes. Companies like Inzer, Titan, SAfe USA, etc. have spent loads of time researching this and that's why their squat shoes are stiff and heavy.

Big squatters never never never never transfer weight to the fronts of the feet.

Jebus, they'd fall and get squashed if they did.

That's why pro PLers specifically wear FLAT, FLAT shoes.

Unless you fall backwards every once in a while, you're probably not sitting back enough.

Power Lifters don't want to engage the quads any more than they have to, and that means sitting back.

They train box squats specifically (in part) to learn to sit back.

The only way you can "fall" off the sole of your shoe is if you aren't sitting back enough or you are squatting in running or other thick-soled shoes.

If you're doing a heavy weight, there is NO WAY your feet will "shift" and cause you to fall to one side or the other. If you do that, it's because you're putting the weight on the front of your foot, or you are using a thick-soled shoe that causes you to lean forward more than you should. I suppose you could also go sideways if one leg failed and the other didn't, but that is not a weight/shoe issue, that's a strength/injury issue.

If you are serious about power lifting, please ignore the thought process in Power65's post. It just doesn't make sense.

1. The weight isn't and can't ever be on your neck unless you aren't positioning the bar correctly. This isn't a BBing or OLY squat, the bar goes lower on your back. The only way that the weight could roll forward is if you transfer your weight forward, as he is suggesting you do.

2. Okay, color me dumb here, but lean FORWARD to keep the weight from rolling forward? That contradicts every rule of physics and kinetics. Please don't try this at home.

3. Check out every heavy lifting site - Elite fitness systems, West Side Barbell, whatever. You will see guys setting records and PRs in Chuck Taylors. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing when it comes to PLing.

4. Yes, Power65 is right, you will rarely see someone suggest skateboarding shoes, but for me, they fit into the flat so you can lean back category. Most folks wouldn't know a true skateboarding shoe if it bit them, so I'm going to say that's the reason they aren't more popular. Don't try 'em if you aren't going to go out of your way to get flat ones that allow you to keep your heels (btw - "heals" means makes healthier) down. Power65 is also right that Squat Shoes are a good idea - that way, you're sure to get it right. He just comes to that conclusion for the wrong reasons.

btw - DL slippers are low and not very padded to get your waist closer to the bar. Makes it easier to lift, like Rack Pulls vs. Full ROM DLs. Plenty of people DL barefoot or in socks if the surface they're lifting on is padded. Try it if you have a gym that will let you, you may be surprized.

RMBros.
    You took all of my points out of context and exaggerated them. I didn't say to squat on the balls of your feet. I said you have to transfer the weight "Some" to the balls of your feet. I never said squat w/ the bar on your neck. I never said to lean forward. As a matter of fact I said that leaning forward is what you wanted to avoid. I know you are new here, but please don't go around bashing people. You read my post looking to disagree w/ me. No hard feelings. But not a good way to make friends on this forum. All forgiven...moving on. Just be careful what you read before you go out and bash someone. The only reason I was knocking the skateboarding shoe comment is because most people would read that and not know what you're talking about, thus, buy the wrong shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by power65
    RMBros.
    You took all of my points out of context and exaggerated them. I didn't say to squat on the balls of your feet. I said you have to transfer the weight "Some" to the balls of your feet. I never said squat w/ the bar on your neck. I never said to lean forward. As a matter of fact I said that leaning forward is what you wanted to avoid. I know you are new here, but please don't go around bashing people. You read my post looking to disagree w/ me. No hard feelings. But not a good way to make friends on this forum. All forgiven...moving on. Just be careful what you read before you go out and bash someone. The only reason I was knocking the skateboarding shoe comment is because most people would read that and not know what you're talking about, thus, buy the wrong shoes.
    My apologies then.

I really didn't mean to bash, but what I understood you to be saying was dangerous. Glad you cleared it up.

You'll notice that in the end, I said you were right about the shoes - I just didn't understand how you go there.

I do really appreciate your attitude (or lack thereof). I was just concerned that he was getting some really conflicting advice.

Just to say it again, sorry it felt like a bash, that wasn't my intent, but I can see how it came out that way.

Let's declare peace and go on.

Thanks - and you're absolutely right about the skateboarding shoes.

RMBros-
    No damage done. I know we all get aggressive in our comments from time to tme because we have so much passion for lifting. We all know what works for us and we cling to it because it is such a huge part of our lives as powerlifters. I take no offense. All is good.

Glad to see you're post here. You do make many great points on your post.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I squat, overhead press, and clean in weightlifting shoes (olympic). Mine are really nice and by ADIDAS. Here is a great link to get some: http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/shoesFR.html

Thread Information