J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member

suicide grip question

lol i'm getting kinda interested in try ing this crazy shot now, but i have a question:

do any of you unrack the weight during training with your thumbs wrapped, then set the bar on your chest and switch to thumbless?

to me unracking would seem like the time you're most likely to **** up.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Thumbless grip, or suicide grip, is quite dangerous and not competition legal. Some organizations will let you do it doing meets if you sign a special waiver, clearing them of medical liability. If you insist on doing it, use light weights to find what is comfortable first and always use spotter.

i don't compete i just meant for using it during training.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by J.S.N.
    lol i'm getting kinda interested in try ing this crazy shot now, but i have a question:

do any of you unrack the weight during training with your thumbs wrapped, then set the bar on your chest and switch to thumbless?

to me unracking would seem like the time you're most likely to **** up.
    I use it all the time. Just start practicing it with your lighter sets until you have mastered the technique (which includes unracking). Make sure to have a spotter there. I've never had a problem but I guy at my gym dropped the weight on his chest at a competition. He was ok but had some bad bruising.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    This grip will really increase your numbers on any pressing movement.

operationgetbig is offline Senior Member
    i love thumbless grip. it helps me out a lot with my close grip bench especially. alot of people cant use the grip becuase they feel it puts too much stress on there wrists. i personally love it tho. guess everyone is different

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by operationgetbig
    i love thumbless grip. it helps me out a lot with my close grip bench especially. alot of people cant use the grip becuase they feel it puts too much stress on there wrists. i personally love it tho. guess everyone is different
    Yeah, that is one of the negatives for some people. You have a great deal of hyperextension of the wrist. I don't have any problems with it though.

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    I guess some people have a lot of trouble with thumbless, but it has never bugged me at all. Feels a lot more natural for me, infact.

Anyway, if you're going to use it, unrack the weights with it also. If you have spotters, it shouldn't be a problem, just have them do the lift off and then set your grip.

If you set the weight on your chest, reset your grip, then press it, you'll actually be doing Pause Presses, which are great for developing the lower end of the bench motion, but will probably drop your max by quite a bit.

thanks for the feedback bro's.

Thread Information