kaorialfred is offline Member

225 bench contest at the Olympia

Has anyone tried to duplicate this?
    I am thinking about setting up a contest with a friend of mine to do this.

I was doing a 5 sets of 5 with 225 on the bench twice a week. I guess I should increase my reps now. I would imagine lots of people do more weight than that? How did they come up with 225 being the weight to do?

ant_8u is offline Senior Member
    better explination please

don't know what your saying/asking

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    That sh!t is hard - but it deffinitly adds to the power output of a workout. I have been calculating the power index of my workouts lately and when I added one set of 225X20 it nearly doubled the power output... (loadXrepsXsets)/time. So, it is something I will put effort on improving in the future... getting those slow-twitch fibers trained a bit better...

I think the, "How many reps can you do with 225" is an accepted form of how strong someone is in a few circles (there was a recent thread here about this)... versus using a 1RM - which is simply a test of brutal anaerobic limit strength. The problem with this high-rep scheme is it taxes your bodies ability to sustain the movement over time, over many reps - not just how heavy you can do... a lift shifts to aerobic when using high reps...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    That sh!t is hard - but it deffinitly adds to the power output of a workout. I have been calculating the power index of my workouts lately and when I added one set of 225X20 it nearly doubled the power output... (loadXrepsXsets)/time. So, it is something I will put effort on improving in the future... getting those slow-twitch fibers trained a bit better...

I think the, "How many reps can you do with 225" is an accepted form of how strong someone is in a few circles (there was a recent thread here about this)... versus using a 1RM - which is simply a test of brutal anaerobic limit strength. The problem with this high-rep scheme is it taxes your bodies ability to sustain the movement over time, over many reps - not just how heavy you can do... a lift shifts to aerobic when using high reps...
    gotcha, that is more or less what I was trying to figure out. I was questioning some NSCA Sports Exercise Phys. and they couldn't even belive natural or unatural the amount of reps cranked out. They wanted to see the tape

I am going to try and work up to at least 20 by Feb, but then again by March I would like to do 404 just once. One good clean one.

ant_8u sorry dude, I guess Warrior got it. U understand the questions now? I just read the article and saw some web content and was astonshed.

Is it a contest then?

Most reps from 225 wins?

yeah it wa at the olympia team muscle tech won.

supposely they were all loaded up on Gakic muscle tech's hot new supplement. And we all know the Olympia is all natural. The 2005 NFL challenge was Scott Young who is 6'4 312lbs and did 43 reps of 225.

I am 5'9 at 260 as of this morning and at age 34
    The article has Phil Heath at 5'9 and 230 at age 25 he cranked out 46 reps of the 225. Allegely by the article, I didn't see it so I don't know if the presses were clean or sloppy. But you can bet Gakic will plug the contest in its ads.

46 reps!

Bloody hell!

I am pretty sure there are other contest out there concerning reps and a set weight. Wonder what the world record would be or if anyone has tried?

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    That aint shit, lol. I've seen Kennelly do 20 reps with 405

Who's Kennelly?
    and that's freakin awsome 405 20reps!!!

I wonder how sore you would be? I mean like would you be able to eat after that workout? DOMS would definately be a bitch.

LX-1 is offline Banned
    Ronnie Did 72 Reps With 225 At The Olympia Back In 98 Before He Won, And Could Have Done More Reps If He Wanted. pretty crazy for someone in contest condition, or anyone.
    Last edited by LX-1; 01-01-2006 at 10:36 PM.

LX-1 is offline Banned
    oh and nasser el sonbaty only got 15 reps at that contest.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LX-1
    oh and nasser el sonbaty only got 15 reps at that contest.
    So much for functional strength...

power65 is offline Associate Member
    I think they came up with the idea of the Rep Contest w/ 225 because that is part of the NFL Combine Test. All Linemen & Linebackers do reps w/ 225, back rep out w/ 185. Atleast that's how they use to do it several years ago.
    Along w/ a verticle jump test, shuttle run, 40 yd. dash, and several other skill test.

oneshot is offline Anabolic Member
    thats nothin, shot putter Christian Cantwell put up 315 for 38 reps

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    A smart powerlifter will try to get their power output up by doing these types of competitions with themselves. It is not surprising that Kennely can do 4 something 20 times. I have personally done burnouts with progressive weights overtime on speed days instead of Westside's style of speed days. repping out with a weight and timing yourself is a smart way to increase the velocity of the bar on you max weight. Time, reps and weight are all important. This is also an essential method for bbers to increase the glycogen storage of their muscles, and as a result causes the muscles to grow. I would imagine at light weight, such as 225, bbers will rule the day. By the way, Nasser's reps at the Olympia were very slow and controlled, what some people call "perfect reps," where the bar takes 6-12 seconds to descend and then ascend for each complete rep.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    So much for functional strength...
    LMAO!

man that contest is stupid. they should have to make a full rep from touching the chest to lockout. some of those guys did full reps, but most either went halfway down or halfway up.

DoubleL is offline Junior Member
    Record at the NFL combine is 43....couldn't tell you by who off the top of my head. And now a days everyone does 225. I'm thinkin' the record is by Chris Villereal (sp?). He was on the Bears for a while. He's still in the league but i don't recall where. He played OGuard.

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    The only use of this so called "strength test" is to establish endurance... and to me, that is funny. It shows nothing except whether a lineman will be able to play 2,3 or 4 downs straight without muscular fatigue. Other than that, it can be used as a tool to develop explosion, but that's about it.

Thread Information