powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

Conjugate training: What does your workout plan look like?

Perhaps the best application of this, in the U.S., is the Westside Barbell Club in Columbus Ohio. Westside Barbell is host to some of the strongest powerlifters in the world. Louie Simmons, owner of Westside Barbell and renowned powerlifting coach, has converted the Conjugate System from Olympic Weightlifting to Powerlifting. The Westside Method is comprised of a Max Effort Day for Bench, a Max Effort Day for Squat/Deadlift (DL), a Dynamic Effort Day for Bench, and a Dynamic Effort Day for Squat/DL. The Max/Dynamic Effort methodology was defined by Vladimir Zatsiorsky, a world renowned strength scientist and author, who determined that there are three distinct methods for developing maximal tension within skeletal muscle fibers. These are:

1. Lifting weights at high to maximal (max) percentages of one’s one rep max (i.e. Max Effort-strength speed).

2. Lifting sub-maximal weights explosively (i.e. Dynamic Effort-speed strength).

3. Lifting sub-maximal weights to concentric muscle failure (i.e. Repetition Method-strength endurance/lactic acid tolerance training-assistance/supplementary exercises).
    I am wondering how you guys apply these principles? As in how many days per week do you train and what do you combine with what? Max effort squat and dynamic DL on same day? etc, etc I think Westside uses a 4 day per week schedule with the exercise combinations listed above in the quote.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Does anybody here use conjugate methods? I like them very much. I just am curious and want some ideas here.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Im thinking of starting a westside method to bulk, wondering if ne one has comments?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Yeah, I train using C-P....

I train 3-4days per week, usually ME Bench, ME Squat/DL, DE Bench, DE Squat/DL...

Thread Information